“Not so good stay in good location”

Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed August 20, 2012

As many others have commented, it is hard to get to. I recommend turning into Kroger and going around the back to get on the one way street that has the entrance to the hotel. There are many options for eating across the street but I wouldn't recommend walking as it is a very busy highway.

I had a discounted room rate of roughly $135. I expected alot more from the Hilton than the experience I received. It was not the relaxing stay I had hoped for.

We stayed in a King Suite which has awesome beds. The first room (#214) we were put into smelled really bad of mold and mildew which greatly affected how I was feeling within 10 minutes of entering the room. The staff had called up to see if everything was okay (I have a strange suspicion that they knew about the room) I was lying on the bed by that time feeling like I was going to have an asthma attack. They offered to spray the room which I refused. They said they only had one room left of the type I had reserved, next door. I asked them to move us promptly. We were out in the hall waiting with our luggage by the time they came upstairs. We couldn't wait to depart that room. I started feeling alot better after moving rooms although whatever was in the first room started an allergic reaction so I spent the evening with the Kleenex box.

The indoor pool was small and although it said it was heated, my son and I had the shivers so we didn't stay in long.

This was to be a Mommy and Me weekend before starting kindergarten and we were looking forward to snuggling in bed with some snacks and watching a movie. We rented the Lorax for $13.99 on sale. As soon as it started we had blue lines on the TV. I called down to the front desk and they contacted the movie company to reset the channels. In the meantime, I had tried the TV in the living room which didn't seem to have a problem. I called down again and asked them to move the LR TV to the bedroom so we could watch TV in bed. The staff said she wasn't comfortable moving the TV but I told her it was really important so she came up and we disconnected, moved and re-connected the living room TV in the bedroom. Now, the remote stops working so we are unable to resume the movie. The staff person went downstairs to try and find a similar remote since the ones in the room didn't appear to be interchangeable. The remote was working off and on but then was usable enough to watch the movie. The staff member said she would make sure we were credited for the movies. As by now it was getting pretty late, we fell asleep not far into the movie.

The next morning we woke up in hopes we could watch the whole movie before heading to the Children's Zoo. I received a bill under my door with 2 charges for the movie. When I approached the staff about it, they were very kind in crediting all the movie charges and told us to let them know if we needed to extend our stay to finish the whole movie. They gave us a tray so we could have breakfast in bed while watching it.

The breakfast was awful! The warming trays were not deep enough to keep the food warm without drying it out. I did my best to dig to the middle but there wasn't much depth to the dishes. As someone else commented - the eggs had a brown skin on them from sitting too long in the warming trays. If there was a chef making omelettes to order, I wasn't aware if it. The make your own waffles, juice and fruit were good. This was the first danish my son ever met that he didn't like.

I chose the breakfast over the points as I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member and I had that choice. I certainly would not recommend paying the $10.95 they wanted for this disaster. I now wish I would have chosen the points and ran out for breakfast but then we wouldn't have had time to watch our movie.

Not too long after arriving at the Children's Zoo, I wasn't feeling all that great. I'm now back home (2 hour drive) with a sore throat, headache, runny nose and cough. If you are allergic/sensitive to mold and mildew, I would steer clear of staying here. Maybe I was already trying to come down with something but the allergic reaction I experienced most likely pushed my immune system over the edge as I rarely get sick.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrea_R_Mishawaka
SuperhostManagement, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your breakfast was not the quality expected and we are taking your recommendation to improve our offerings. I also want to apologize for the malfunctioning TV and the charges you incurred for the movies. I’m glad that our staff was able to take care of that for you. The health and safety of our guests is very important to us. I sincerely apologize for the smell you encountered and we are taking every step to ensure that our rooms are clean to the best of standards. We look for reviews to provide insight, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. Please feel to contact me if you have any further concerns.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed in this property on July 20, 2012. It is located in a great part of Fort Wayne and was very clean and quiet. They provided newspapers in the morning and a great breakfast consisting of hot scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereals, muffins/danish or you can order an omlet or make pancakes. It was a little difficult getting to the property due to a one-way street situation, but once you realize that you just pass the hotel in the left lane and then make a left turn to come back to it. No problems with reservation or checking in/and out.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Tara M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel! We take great pride in providing excellent service to each and every one of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Took some figuring out on how to get to it. Price was right for what you get, I mean you are paying for a Hampton. Toilet was leaking in one room, moved to the next and the tiles were loose in that bathroom and it was very dated. First morning at breakfast no one came by and cleared our dishes so we stacked them up on another table and had to go up to the server and ask to order food. We figured someone called off, because she didn't know you can order food. So we let that one go. But we had just stayed at an outstanding Hilton Garden Inn in Mason. So this one needs a little help. But I will say their workers are very nice!!! If you want to stay cheap and don't care stay here! Oh and my omelet was brown.

Room Tip: I had 2 and they both were horrible!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Becky O
SuperhostManagement, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

I am so sorry you found your guest room and bathroom unacceptable-even after being moved. I can assure you that is not the standard in our hotel. We work hard to make sure our housekeepers keep each and every guest room and bathroom clean. We clearly missed the mark this time. I also apologize for the miscommunication between you and our serving staff at breakfast! I hope you consider staying with us again. We’d love to have you as our guest to ensure you have the best travel experience ever.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is ran to Hilton standards. Clean, peaceful & comfortable. A little bit of trouble getting in to ( you have to go past it ,then come around behind it)but worth it.For breakfast there is a buffet line,scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits & gravy,sausage 7 danish. You can order an omelet from the Chef if you so desire.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Tara M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel and for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. I understand it can be a bit of a challenge to access our property due to the one way street we are located on. We have updated our preparations for arriving guests to include an email with directions and we encourage all guests to provide an email address at the time of booking. We take great pride in meeting and exceeding your expectations and look forward to the chance to welcome you back to our hotel!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I travel quite a bit for work and this felt very much like a Hampton Inn. The rooms were a little older and felt very used. The hotel was small for a Hilton Garden Inn. The staff was very friendly and the check-in process was painless. The price however, was also like a Hampton so I can't complain.

The only issue I had was that the people next door to me were VERY loud, not the hotels fault but the door to join the rooms let in all of the noise from the room next door. Again, not the hotel's fault that they poeple next to me were roudy. Just thought I would share.

Overall - Nice staff, good location, older property, small hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
SuperhostManagement, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Thank you for the nice comments about our staff. We work hard to make sure our guests who stay with us enjoy their stay.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just finishing up 2 nights here. Got an unpleasant surprise upon arrival in the room-no Garden Sleep System bedding. Apparently that is only in the king bed rooms-it is unclear if they are in the process of switching the double bedded rooms over or are going to stay w/GSS for king bed rooms only. It is an older property as is evidenced by the thermostat in the rooms-had to show my colleague next door how to read it (old fashioned dial kind). Didn't work very well, either-would not keep the room at the temp that was set. Could very clearly hear the person in the room above me clomping around. Restaurant only does breakfast w/a hot buffet & cooked to order eggs & pancakes. Staff very nice & there is a hotel shuttle that will pick-up/drop off @ the airport during certain hours. Several restaurants & a grocery store across the street, but it doesn't appear it is walkable due to the traffic & road condition.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Spencer S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2016

I am so sorry for your experience, I can assure you that we are moving to correct this. Please come back to join us and check out the changes we have made since your last visit!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

For the price, this is an excellent choice. The entire facility was extremely clean and the staff friendly and helpful. My wife and I arrived late last night at the end of a long day(June 17, 2012), and the front desk staff overcame our weary-induced grumpiness.

While the breakfast is not included in the initial price, the discounted price as part of their "bed and breakfast" plan is still a good deal. The breakfast is very good . . . . but still HI-Express-style cinnamon rolls would be a nice inclusion.

Seriously, the most negative thing I can say is the water is very hard. All in all, it's an excellent hotel, and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and our staff. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at our property.