“Handicap? Define that, please”

Residence Inn Fort Wayne
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Columbus, Ohio
“Handicap? Define that, please”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I'm ordinarily a fan of Residence Inns but have had bad experiences at two (blood on pillowcase in NY) and at this location this week. While the staff was pleasant and accommodating, I dont care for the vertical 'apartment-building' design vs the convenient park-at-your door usual 4-plex townhouse style RI's. Miles of hallways. I am not disabled, however, I have a couple issues - shortness of breath, and a spine problem, which kick up at inopportune times. We did not reserve a handicap room because I don't need the special aspects and like to keep those open for people who really do, however when we arrived I was having a lot of walking-related pain and we asked for a room close to the entrance, to minimize my walking. We were offered a first-floor handicap room and took it. I'd love to meet the genius planner who put the HANDICAP rooms at the very END of very long hallways......passing at least a a dozen regular rooms to get to them. Thanks a bunch. So after struggling to make it to the room, when we went out to dinner I was pleased to see we were close to a side door at the end of the hall. yay. Wrong. It did lead out to the parking lot but it opened to a steep brick STAIRWAY. Just what a handicapped person would love to see. This bizarre 'accommodation' of handicap parking and rooms is not unique; if you look at any public parking lot, half the time there are the required handicap parking slots; but unaccountably, often they are NOT nearest the entrance.

Room Tip: Wear your track shoes - lots of walking is likely
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Derrick R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments and concerns. I am so glad that you found our service to be pleasant and accommodating.
Because all of our rooms are suites and much larger than the standard hotel room, our hallways are longer than average. We do offer several types of accessible rooms to meet the needs of our guests. I am terribly sorry we were unable to meet your needs, we should have found something closer to the entry. Please accept my most sincere apology.

Derrick Robertson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A had a great stay at this residence inn. I ended up in town that day because of a family event and was in need of a place to stay fast at 7pm. They got me a room right away and the service was fabulous. A young lady at the front desk named Shanice made sure everything was perfect. When I realized I forgot toothpaste and called the front desk, she personally brought some up within minutes. I have always had a good experience with Marriott but the service of the young lady of front made this one the top of the list! Thanks Shanice!

• Stayed July 2013
Derrick R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so pleased that on short notice you chose our Residence Inn! I'm thrilled, although not surprised, that Shanice gave you such great service. Thank you so much for posting your experience with us and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Senoia, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent a long holiday weekend at this hotel for a friend's son's wedding. The staff at the hotel could not have been more professional or pleasant! I have NEVER stayed at a hotel where every single employee went out of their way to greet us as we entered the hotel, or as we left and made sure that we had every thing we needed while inside the hotel. Our friends had rented a conference room to use for the weekend and the staff bent over backwards to make sure that the room stayed equipped with supplies, and kept it clean. We spilled over into the lobby a couple of times and the staff continued to make our experience top notch.

Our room was very comfortable. It was outfitted with a sitting area that included a sofa and a reclining chair - both great places to catch a quick nap before heading out to the next wedding activity. The bathroom was clean and neat. The room had a large closet with plenty of hangers. The tv was large and swiveled easily so that it could be seen throughout the room. Our only 'complaint' was the lack of king size beds, we were told that the hotel is about to go through a remodel and more king size bedrooms will be available in the future.

Our room was on the back side of the hotel and we heard no outside noise. The air conditioning and heat were also nice and quiet, as was the refrigerator. We enjoyed having a full kitchen, it was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave to heat up leftovers and keep drinks cold.

I'd especially like to give a nod to Shanice from the front desk. What a pleasant young lady she is! She was professional and engaging and we enjoyed her pleasant behavior very much. She's a keeper and I hope management will reward her for her outstanding skills.

Room Tip: Backside of the hotel was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Derrick R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Susanlst,
Thank you so much for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and especially our service! We know your group had lots of choices and we really appreciated the opportunity to serve you. I agree that Shanice is a keeper, we are very fortunate to have her as part of our outstanding team of professionals.

Indianapolis
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Lots of people think you have to have an extended stay to stay at the Marriott's Residence Inn. Well, I like this property for short-term overnight visits too. I like it because I can warm up my soup from Panera Bread, sit in front of the gas fireplace, and work on my computer. It really does feel like a home living room versus being in a standard hotel room with only a bed. Here I have the option of a studio apartment with a king bed, couch, fireplace, desk and kitchenette. The pricing is in line with regular hotel rooms but the amenities are better. In the lobby, they serve food Monday - Thursdays with adult beverages which is perfect after a long work day away from home. Two thumbs up to this specific property with thier prompt and efficient front desk staff, clean rooms and easy parking.

Room Tip: A studio is great for 1-2 people and I love the gas fireplace.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Derrick R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed one night as a get away and to meet some Fort Wayne friends. Pretty good hotel. Rooms are a little smaller than the photos suggest. However, that is normal for hotel websites. Couldn't used the pool and hottub because of some maintance issues. Breakfast was very good. The only issue was the pet friendly room next to me. IT WASN'T A SMALL DOG THAT BARKED FOR HOURS. I was afraid to knock on the door. He sounded like he would have eaten me. Anyway. Would I stay there again? Probibly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Derrick R, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! I am very sorry you were disturbed during your stay. Although our hotel is pet friendly, we make sure our employees are properly trained to handle these situations to ensure the comfort of all our guests. Thank you again for choosing our Residence Inn and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future!
Crawfordsville, Indiana
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel's first floor is great, pool just right, breakfast hit the spot, and the staff is awesome. Now in my experience the Region is not usually known for Hoosier hospitality, but Stacey is a delight. Forgive me i cant remember the Happy Hour Hostess, not because she not memorable, but because she is all over the place taking care of everyone!!! Lyndsie made sure my room was spotless and always full of sunshine.

The folks here are an awesome compliment to a terribly boring training!

• Stayed November 2012
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing our Residence Inn! We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thanks Again,
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to the Company I was meeting with. The facility was very clean and the staff was great. While I didn't have a chance to get to the afternoon cocktail hour the staff made sure I knew about it. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Maybe next time you will be able to join us for our Evening Social with great food and beverages, all complimentary!
Thanks so much for posting and we look forward to serving you on your next trip to Fort Wayne.