“Disappointing”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Bluffton, Indiana
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I am currently at this property. We are relocating to the area for a new job, while we await taking possession of our new home. I have been here a little over 24 hours, and I have called twice to alert staff that one flat screen had no picture, and the other one had problems with the signal breaking up, and missing channels. Also, the sink in the bathroom area did not drain properly. Two of these problems were addressed, but the other continues. The person I spoke to this evening stated the maintenance man had gone home, and nothing could be done until tomorrow.

I am a Marriott loyalty member, and it was clear that the person who checked us in never checked my preferences. I was given a room that was not feather-free, with no extra pillows, and was discouraged from taking my preferred lower floor "it can be noisier from groups - it's quieter on the third floor". Why in the world should I bother sharing these with Marriott, if their front-line people don't even check this information when assigning rooms at check-in?

I don't feel like a valued customer. This is a shame, because for the most part, the Marriott brand has been a much better experience. I am willing to give it another day, but then we will no doubt be looking for alternate accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JSBowpat
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. I understand that you had trouble with the picture on your televisions. We have recently had a Phillips representative at the hotel and reprogram all of our televisions. Unfortunately with new technology come a few hiccups along the way. I am happy to say that it looks like our television problem has been fixed at this time. Thanks again and I hope you will give us another chance to earn you as a guest in the future.

Derrick Robertson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Indianapolis
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The whole family was joining my husband's work trip and this was a great hotel for us. Plenty of room, full working kitchen with supplies, office space and the indoor pool and hot tub were well heated. So often indoor pools are cold.
Clean, quiet, good bed plus pull out sleeper sofa for kids. Basketball court on site too.
Free breakfast was better than average and included real hot food as well as continental. Very close to highway and chain restaurants if you wanted to go out.

• Stayed July 2012
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again during your next trip to the Fort Wayne area.
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I go to Ft. Wayne a few times a year because my husband and I both have family in or around town. Sometimes we need to stay in a hotel because other family comes in and it's either that or sleep on an air mattress. We chose to stay at this hotel for the first time for two nights on a cousin's wedding weekend, being that it's close to my grandma's new place and centrally located to other family. There is ample parking available, and the hotel is easy to get around. There is a small pool and hot tub (indoor) which we wanted to check out but didn't get a chance to.

We had the one bedroom suite, which has a living room with a small table, a couch (with pull out), TV, coffee table, desk, and also a kitchen with a full sized fridge, small over and dishwasher, microwave, and everything else you'd need if you were staying here for awhile. Through a doorway was the bedroom, which had a king bed, another tv (both were BIG and plasma), and then the bathroom with separate areas for the sink and the shower/toilet.

It was very nice!! Clean, spacious, and had everything needed to be comfortable. I was very impressed. The bed was very comfy and the sleep quality was excellent! No noise from the outside or others. Breakfast in the morning included cereal, bagels, waffles, fruit, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, and other hot options like hash browns, ham and eggs. Of course, there also was juice, milk, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. It was more than filling and included in the price. The ladies working there kept it clean and well stocked.The breakfast area is roomy and clean, and seems newer.

Now, I happened to be staying here when a huge storm hit the area, knocking out power to much of the town, including the hotel. This was halfway through my stay. We ended up getting ready for a wedding at my grandma's house, since she had power. The employees handled the power outage extremely well. They put lanterns and glow sticks throughout the hotel, so at night when we returned to the hotel, people could get around. We decided to check out early due to my dad needing power for his breathing machine, and not knowing when power would come back on for us to get air conditioning and get ready in the morning. The employee working was very nice about it. The power ended up staying out throughout the time where we would have stayed, so it was a good decision. I was unsure if I would get a refund for the night where I checked out early, but when I called to ask, the manager agreed without question. I was really impressed, because I know it was out of the hotel's control that there was no power and they surely took a financial hit because of it. That courtesy ensured that this hotel WILL be my hotel of choice on future visits to Ft. Wayne without question. Great hotel, and I HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hello Rubyiu,
Thank you so much for the kind words, and for choosing our Residence Inn! I am sorry to hear that you were forced to check out early due to the storm, it was a very interesting weekend for us. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Fort Wayne. Thanks again!

Residence Inn Ft Wayne
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Have stayed in many various Marriott chains, this one did not disappoint. Great service, clean room and well furnished including a gas fireplace for a very reasonable price! The staff was courteous and professional, and the hotel was close to great dining and shopping. Low, low weekend rates as well. Highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear "Former Hoosier",
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 27, 2012

It was nice to have a full kitchen...more room and free wifi. Very helpful staff also. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
drobertson7811, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Hello MarlinDrak,
I just wanted to thank you for choosing our Residence Inn by Marriott. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was our second time staying at this hotel. The first time we were here was just over a year prior when we were in town for Christmas and this time we were here for New Year's. Being a member of Marriott Rewards, we always try to stay at a Marriott property if we can help it, and Fort Wayne has quite a few to choose from. Generally we try to stay in properties that have done well by us, rewarding them with our money and patronage. This particular location served us very well the previous trip, but this time around I have to say was not as good. While the service was good, the breakfast was hot, and the pool was satisfying, the bed, unfortunately, was not. In most circumstances, more pros than cons would skew my rating towards above average, but when the one complaint I have against a hotel is the quality of the very thing for which their entire industry is based off of, then we have a problem.

The room, in and of itself, was perfectly-sized. We normally stay in the 2-room suites at Residence Inns as we have 2 tweens with us and prefer a little privacy, but this room option wasn't available to us for our stay so we chose the standard room. The room consists of a queen-size bed and a queen-size sofa bed. The kitchenette was of a good size and with the breakfast bar, there was enough seating for us if we chose to eat in the room. The bathroom was serviceable in size, with the sink located outside the bathroom, a plus for when it comes to needing to shave after a shower and not having a fogged-up mirror. They have recently upgraded their TVs to flat-screens so obviously they are trying to make themselves attractive. However, where they should be focusing their attention on is their beds. I'm not going to say it was the flat-out worst bed I have ever slept on, but in the end, the sofa bed turned out to be slightly more bearable. I am a fairly large man, so I am used to beds being a little lacking in support, but when I find myself rolling to the middle of the bed, that tells me there is a serious issue. The springs were noisy and poked my ribs whenever I laid on my stomach, forcing me to lay on my back, which then causes me to snore. I have slight sleep apnea so naturally that means I end up waking up multiple times throughout the night. Couple this with the constant tossing and turning to get some semblance of comfort and it was miserable all around. My wife was having just as much trouble, being woken every time I turned, not to mention also rolling into the center of the bed. I seriously think there must have been something wrong with the box spring because even my 50lb youngest daughter found herself rolling to the middle when we traded beds with them. The sofa bed, while not very supportive, did finally provide us with a couple hours of sleep, but only just.

In the end, the hotel itself was fine. The staff were very pleasant, the pool area was kept very clean, was well-stocked with fresh towels, and we never had an issue with unruly children. The hot breakfast was good and they kept up on refilling the buffet-style options, although my wife was too slow to get scrambled eggs both times they restocked. All in all, this would have been a very good stay, if it wasn't for the fact that I only got about 3 hours of sleep because of their poor bed quality. So for that, they were just average for my stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
drobertson7811, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Hello Josh H.
Thank you so much for choosing our Residence Inn by Marriott. I was happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm very troubled to hear that your bed was so uncomfortable. I can understand how a bed can ruin your stay, and wanted to apologize for the restless night. While our beds are fairly new, we are in the process of re-evaluating our purchasing plans for bedding. Thanks again for choosing the Residence Inn Southwest Fort Wayne, and I hope you will give us another chance to earn you as our guest in the future.

LaGrange, Indiana, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The tv channels are either really loud or very quiet. Housekeeping knocked on our door at 9am on the day of check out to see if we had left yet. Check out was not until noon. That one was a little what the heck? Other than that the rooms are a great value. The breakfast was awesome. We loved Sean at check in. He deserves a promotion!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hello Jacqueline S.,
I was so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I see that you had some trouble with our new HD Flatscreen televisions and can understand how that would be very frustrating. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. We have recently had the manufacturer to our property to fix any and all problems. Thank you so much for choosing our Residence Inn Southwest, and we look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Fort Wayne!

Residnece Inn Fort Wayne