“One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.”

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Clean and neat as a pin, attractive decor, comfortable beds, spacious showers with good water pressure, the in-house restaurant serves excellent food, and the staff couldn't be more pleasant or helpful. And if you book through the Embassy Theater site (the theater is just next door to this hotel) you can get a break on the room rate. We couldn't get over how nice this place is.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

We're thrilled that you had both the opportunity to take advantage of our Embassy Theatre package and our spectacular new hotel. Thank you for your evaluation of the hotel and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have been traveling to FW on business for over 3 years and the Courtyard Grand Wayne is my preferred hotel of stay. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are new and clean and the location is ideal. You will find all of the normal Mariott amenities that you expect to receive in comparison to all Mariott properties. This property is great for business travelers and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review of the Courtyard Fort Wayne Downtown! We're so excited that you chose to stya with us and really look forward to serving you again soon. I realize you had this excellent experience some time ago now but we still rank in the top 5% of all Courtyards throughout the United States and Canada.

Reviewed February 17, 2011

I spent a week at the Courtyard in Ft Wayne. It is a new hotel with many nice amenities that you don't get at other hotels. An in-house Starbucks, attached restaurant (Champions), and a well stocked fitness center are just some of the things offered. Rooms are fabulous. Some rooms overlook a world class minor league ball park. Everything one could possible need at one location. The staff goes on and above what I ever expected to make your stay a memorable event! This is a "must-stay" location if you are ever in the Ft Wayne area!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank miketennessee
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Mike, I sure appreciate you taking the time to write about our hotel. We're thrilled you found it to have everything you could think of that a hotel should have. We are very fortunate to be in an area that has so much to do and that you find it to be a "must stay" hotel.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

I have to travel into Fort Wayne almost ever week for a few days for business and have been staying at this hotel regularly since it opened last year. I initially chose this hotel because it is conveniently located downtown and close to my business in town. The rooms are fantastic in every way and make you feel relaxed after a long day at work. The beds are some of the best I have ever stayed in, very comfortable with excellent pillows!

The hotel offers complimentary high speed internet and a business center in the lobby with complimentary printing for guests. Parking is $7 a day and is through a government run facility and is a very reasonable price per night. A shuttle is also on premises to take guests to and from the airport and nearby destinations free of charge.

This hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast in the morning due to it being a Courtyard by Marriott, being catered towards the business traveler. The breakfast is however made to order and there are many different options to choose from. This hotel also has Starbucks available for purchase 24/7.

The onsite restaurant Champions is a sports bar and gill that has a great atmousphere. The layout allows you to have privacy if you want it and socialability if you don't. The restaurant has 30 or so flatscreen tvs and booths with a private one mounted on the wall. The food offered is somewhat typical bar food, (wings, burgers, nachos, ect.) The wings are especially good as well as the pulled pork sandwich. The daily drink specials are well priced and appealing to different tastes.

The best thing about this hotel however is the service of the staff. Every time I come into town the front desk staff makes me feel welcomed and special. Everyone is always smiling and seems to be genuinely in a great mood. The general manager is a great guy and we have talked a few times throughout my stay and he makes an effort to remember my name and ask me about how my life is going.

Overall a great hotel offering a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tman_aoa
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you so much for one of the most thorough and well written reviews I've had the pleasure of reading. I really enjoyed hearing how you feel about our new hotel, our staff and your experience and am very grateful for the time you took to tell all of my future guests. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you very soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

I traveled alone for business. I found the location to be convenient to downtown. The place looked very nice upon arrival and had very sophisticated decor. The room was Excellent. Granite countertops in bath, Huge desk in room, a couch, flat screen TV. King bed was super comfortable. I have to say that the stay would have been amazing if those were the only things that i looked at.

I don't want to sound picky but these are important service concerns that I have....

I was a little ticked off at arrival for a few reasons. I am a small young female and had a large amount of bags with me as i was traveling alone for business (CPU bag, Backpack, Suit bag, a suitcase, and a purse). There were no carts available for luggage nor was there a bell hop in sight to help me with my bags. The ladies at the desk were not helpful regarding this.

As it was downtown, I had to drive to a parking garage down down the street (okay not unusual for a downtown location) and I also had to pay for parking (7 dollars per night - okay...) but I hoped it would be included as it was in comparable Marriott hotels and I was unaware of this added expense when I booked the room. (there were 20 dollars in extra fees on the bill too which i was unaware of too but I did not fight it).

Additionally, after parking I had to lug all the items to my 6th floor room alone and the walkways were very icy going from the parking garage to the rear entrance to the hotel (the closet path to the elevators). I almost wiped out a few times. I also needed to lug all these items and dig for my card to enter the hotel via this door (something i was not pre-warned of either). That was just not a good way to start my visit to the hotel after traveling for 36 hours.

The breakfast the next morning was good but somewhat expensive. I had a bottled water and a muffin - it was 7 dollars (if it was NY okay but this is indiana...sorry). I've stayed in at least 4 other Marriott's within the last few months (including two just outside NYC) and this is the first in this price range that did not provide a complimentary breakfast and complimentary parking.

Upon leaving the hotel I called for some help with the bags and the only person they could send up was the maintenance man (which made me feel badly for asking for help because that is really not his job....poor guy). He was very nice and i made sure to tip him well because i was grateful for the help. Because of this I would not recommend this hotel for older adults or handicapped individuals unless there is someone to drop you off at the curb or help with luggage.

The only reason why my sleep quality was decreased was because the gentleman in the room next to me became violently ill in the night and kept me up much of the night. I don't know that there was anything the hotel could do regarding that though. Just the soundproofing was not great but honestly i don't know many hotels where its better.

I might stay here again if some of the issues are resolved but then again i might not....

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JASAG8
CourtyardDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2011

Thank you for your candid feedback. I'm glad you were pleased with the product but wanted to address your concerns about the service provided. Since your stay we have doubled our inventory of luggage carts to ensure there is always one available when needed. We've also shared your comments with our entire team in an effort to learn how to better serve our travelers.

I realize the stresses travel can create for people so upon your next visit simply ask one of our guest service representatives to assist, or for that fact, any hotel associate. We all have the spirit to serve!

We hope to earn the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I decided to spend the New Year's holiday in Fort Wayne as a random getaway spot. We were lucky because we were able use a discount because of a friend we have who works for Marriott. (Realistically though, without the discount it probably would have been out of our price range.)

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. It had just opened in September 2010 and was very nice. It is right in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne... directly across the street from the convention center, Embassy Theater, and botanical conservatory. Our check-in experience was a breeze, and the hotel staff were always very friendly and willing to help in any way they could. One of the highlights of the hotel is Champions Sports Bar, which is attached to the hotel and open until 2 a.m. Both nights we were there, we were able to enjoy drinks right there and have the tab billed to our room. There are also some good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, and we walked just a couple blocks to get to one of those.

Our room was very clean and very comfortable. We had a great 6th-floor view of the cathedral a couple blocks away. We slept well both nights, except for the fact that there were some loud children in a room across the hall from us one of the nights. (There was some big wedding reception going on downstairs, so a lot of the people there were staying at the hotel.) The hotel has a business center which allows guests to use a computer, which is really nice. But they also have a big, interactive touch-screen display in the lobby which provides information about news, weather, sports, local restaurants, churches, etc. Very handy.

There were only a few downsides to this Courtyard. First, there's something about the city water that makes it feel a bit greasy when you're taking a shower. No big deal, and probably nothing the hotel can control, but it's just an observation. Second, the swimming pool is very small, and we were disappointed to see that there was no hot tub. Third, we had some difficulty one night getting back into the parking structure with our room key which is supposed to work every time. Fourth, we tried to get breakfast from The Bistro (just outside Champions in the hotel lobby) at about 10:50 a.m., and they were out of most of the breakfast sandwiches so we ended up having lunch at Champions instead.

Overall, these negatives were just minor nuisances. The hotel was wonderful, the staff was great, and I'd love to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
CourtyardDTGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Thank you for ringing in the New Year with us at the new Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown. It certainly was a great evening. I also appreciate your comments regarding your experience. I'll be sure to share them with our team of service professionals.

We hope to serve you again in the future!

Andrew Crowel

Reviewed December 8, 2010

The first thing we experienced was the ease of locating the hotel, quickly followed by the quick and courteous check-in. Parking is provided in the adjacent parking garage but you must walk a few hundred feet outside to enter the hotel. It was the first cold week-end of the year so that was somewhat of a drawback. All of the employees we came in contact with at the hotel were friendly, courteous, and seeking to meet and/or exceed our expectations. Their greetings and responses of "my pleasure" to our requests always seemed genuine rather than the typical contrived lines they are taught to say. The room was extremely clean and comfortable and included a nice TV, refrigerator, iron/ironing board, extra pillows and blankets, microwave, and more. The only complaints I have are in regard to the noise factor. The room doors are heavy and are designed to shut completely when released. While this is certainly a great security feature, it also results in hearing "slamming doors" throughout the day, late night and early morning. This seems to be a typical situation in hotels - I challenge hotel designers and engineers to design a door which provides the same security feature without the noise. While we didn't hear much noise from the adjacent rooms, people running and playing in the hall were clearly heard. Our stay included a complimentary breakfast in the bistro. Again the servers were efficient and very courteous. The food was well prepared, served hot, good portions and presented in an appealing fashion. Booths along the window included a personal TV and remote so patrons can choose what they would like watch while eating. Our stay lasted two nights and we are looking forward to our return.
P.S. - My wife and attended the Fort Wayne Taste of the Chamber a few weeks after our stay at the hotel. Champions Sports Bar/Restaurant was there as well as representatives of the hotel. We stopped by their booth for samples and to chat and once again were extremely pleased at the courteous nature of those we spoke with. Kudos to the management for recruiting and training such a quality staff!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

What an outstanding review of the hotel and your experiences. Thank you! We look forward to many more returns.