Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I don't know if this place was built out of paper or what but it felt more like sleeping in a tent we got to the hotel an hour and 20 min after check in and the room that we had reserved was still not ready they acted l like they were just going to make us wait had I not demanded another room there is nothing special about this place that's for sure in fact the only thing that stands out is bad customer service and poor construction my wife and I wanted to have a relaxing night out but it would have been better to stay home and let our kids play pretend hotel I think they could have done a better job.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Wow, I would sure love the opportunity to get some more information from you about your stay. Our hotel was ranked 17 out of almost 900 hotels in overall customer satisfaction by our guests for all Marriott's last year so this appears to be something well out o the ordinary. I would ask that you call the hotel directly and ask for Dale to discuss. Id sure love the opportunity to learn more and make it right. Thanks.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very nice hotel located next to the Grand Wayne Center in Fort Wayne, IN. Connected Skyway offers convenient access to the Grand Wayne and the Embassy Theatre. Rooms are good size with a modern atmosphere. Bathrooms have large shower, no tub which is great. Definitely recommend hotel upgrade their bathroom amenities as the plain black and white box soaps don't match well the character of the hotel. Bathroom amenities from William Roam would suit their guests well and provide a great compliment to their stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. We sure appreciate the opportunity to serve you. We're glad you liked the large shower in your room but just so other readers know, we do have tub rooms available as well. Thank you again and we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed there on 1/15/14 for one night. Great room with double queen beds, flat screen television, refrigerator, coffee maker. Basically all the amenities. Room was very clean and comfortable. More importantly, it was quiet. I didn't utilize the restaurant or bar, so was basically a review for the room.

The only downside was the hotel was a bit of a walk from the parking garage and there didn't appear to be any security. I also don't get why you would charge a guest for parking in your garage when there is no place else to park, but that's just me.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor overlooking a rooftop, which was perfect for me as I like quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank timkay2
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thanks so much for taking time to review the hotel. We always appreciate any and all feedback. We would absolutely love to be able to offer complimentary parking. Since we're located in a downtown area, we are fortunate to have the city's wonderful covered garage to offer our guests. Unfortunately, we do not own the facility though. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

After waiting 15 minutes to check in, we were told we would have a room with one bed. I said I requested 2. They said, "well, there is a fold out couch. We are sold out. Sorry." I requested a manager, who was about ten feet away. She called him over, and he proceeded to help someone else first ( that didn't need a manager.) When he finally came over, he wanted to know who and how I thought I would get 2 rooms, because I was with a group. Seriously? Yes, I explained it to him. His reply, sorry, we are sold out. I asked if he could do anything else, give us a discount, anything. He said, no. He also told me it would be useless to call corporate, because it would just go back to him. Our room had one bed, fold out couch, that was not made - no sheets-nothing- and with a mattress about 1/2 inch thick. It was more comfortable to sleep on the floor. The room was across from the pool ( screaming children), and nowhere near the rest of our group. I travel frequently and have never been treated so poorly. I am at the hotel right now. Wonder if I will get any sleep tonight?

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us! We always appreciate the feedback. After discussion with some of my staff, it appears we were able to accommodate your requests. Clearly we were unable to do so immediately and for that, we are truly sorry. We take a great deal of pride in the fact that our guests ranked us in the top 2% of all Courtyards in 2013. Our goal is to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in Fort Wayne. On days where we have very large team weekends, it can be a challenge to please everyone. It appears we fell short on your visit. If your travels do bring you back to the Fort Wayne area, please feel free to contact me directly and it would be my pleasure to assist you in making it a world class experience.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We just returned from our Thanksgiving trip to Fort Wayne and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard. Love that they have a Starbucks in the bistro. We were eating breakfast (and having a latte) and asked Derek where the nearest movie theater was. He gave us a recommendation. A few minutes later, he returned with a map of Fort Wayne and directions to the theater he recommended. So thoughtful to do that without us even asking! Beds are soft, glad shower is hard to leave, and location is perfect. If you are going during the summer, check when you book to see if there is a game that night. If so, you'll be treated to fireworks from your room. From Thanksgiving to Christmas, you may want a street-side room and your kids will be able to watch the animated Christmas displays in the building across the street.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

WOW, thank you for taking the opportunity to commend Derek on his outstanding guest service. Although I am thrilled to hear this, it's not surprising. We have so many AMAZING associates who always look to exceed our guest' expectations and we're so fortunate to have them. Derek is among the very elite and I'll be sure to share this with my entire team. We sure look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Love this little gem of a hotel. I visit Fort Wayne frequently for work, and have family there. I ALWAYS stay at this hotel and especially love it in the summer when the Tin Caps have a baseball game. The staff is wonderful, the rooms are spotless, and the location is perfect for enjoying an event at the Grand Wayne Center, the Embassy, or the Botanical Gardens. Very happy that they have a Starbucks and healthy breakfast options.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

It would be tough to write a better review myself! Thank you for your loyalty and for taking time to tell our future guests all about us.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This marriott courtyard is very clean and very well managed. The staff was very friendly and check in was very quick. Parking is free in the parking garage.

The room (see my photos) has a coffee maker, minifridge and a microwave. HVAC is controlled by a wall-mounted thermostat.

First thing I noticed was how clean the room was and that it didn't have that stale smell to it that alot of hotel rooms have before you get the hvac going.

The bathroom is very clean has a large enclosed shower. Awesome showerhead! I assume you could get a room that has a shower with tub if requested.

No free breakfast here, but there is a walkup bistro breakfast counter where you can order basic breakfast items - some of them suprisingly healthy.

Only complaints is that the cloth ironing board cover was pretty soiled. Also, traffic noise is a problem if you are a light sleeper. My window faced the Grand Wayne and the angled glass on the front of that building must project noise right at the hotel. A regular car driving down Jefferson sounded like a plane flying over. Just don't get a room facing Jefferson to solve that problem.

Otherwise, very nice hotel. I'll stay here again next time I am in Ft Wayne.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Wow John, thank you for your thorough review. I always love seeing these when it's from a reviewer who contributes so often. Thanks and we hope to be able to serve you again soon.