“Best Marriott Staff I've encountered”

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

As someone who travels 75% of the time, across the US and almost exclusively stays in Marriotts, I say with confidence that the staff at this Courtyard is the most courteous, helpful, enthusiastic, and accommodating front desk staff I've encountered. Many of them knew me by name and were great at accommodating requests.

Location is the best in Fort Wayne and the quality is fantastic for the price

Room Tip: West side faces Parkview field: a pro and a con during summer months.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ike G
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

THANK YOU for the very gracious review of the hotel! I'm always thrilled to hear how we're realizing our goal of being the cleanest and frinedliest hotel in Fort Wayne. We look forward to many more returns!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were 'assigned' this hotel to participate in a soccer tournament. It wasn't overpriced, as I suppose it could have been. The hotel accomodated us with a breakfast buffet, which was really well done. The staff was friendly across the board. Parking next door was extra, but convenient. Pool was amusingly small. Fitness center was large and well equipped with newer cardio equipment, free weights and two nice benches. The room was pretty standard, but the walk in shower was really nice. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We hope your soccer tournament proved to be a winning one! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm so glad to hear that your stay was a great one. Although we do have many beautiful walk in showers instead of tubs, we do have rooms with tubs as well for those who enjoy a relaxing bath at the end of a long day. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was traveling for a conference at the Grand Wayne Center. It was just my colleague and I.

We got to the hotel around 8 pm and were greeted with a friendly desk attendant and a smile. We parked and got our luggage up to the room. When we got to the room, we noticed something was wrong. We only had one bed. We originally had booked and paid for a 2 night stay in a king room with a sofa bed. I called to the front desk and the manager said that he was sorry but all of the rooms were completely full and there was nothing they could do for us. I was absolutely appaled, I told him that we booked AND PAID for this room in November. He said very quickly, like he was wanting to get rid of me, that he was sorry, but all of the rooms were completely full. This made things completely awkward for my colleague and I. He then handed me a card for free breakfast the next morning. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE NEEDED. WE NEEDED TWO BEDS. I decided it wasnt worth the fight, and I ended up sleeping on the floor.

The next morning I went down to see if I could have the rooms changed and they said that they were again full and they couldnt do anything. AT 10 AM!!!!! My colleague then slept on the floor that night.

When we were checking out a different manager asked how my stay was, so I told her about our situation and she was genuinely concerned and gave me her business card for future reference. She asked if there was anything she could do, I just said that I wanted to know how to avoid this from happening in the future (you know, when you book and pay 2 1/2 months in advance and you still dont get the room you booked). She said, that the only way to guarantee a room is call and have them make sure you are in a room with two beds.

This hotel has a lot of nice things...starbucks, champions restaurant, and covered parking. Rooms are very nice and staff (except the one manager) were very nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel. Your comment, "This hotel has a lot of nice things...starbucks, champions restaurant, and covered parking. Rooms are very nice" thrills me and we always appreciate those evaluations of our hotel.
Please also accept my most sincere apologies for not receiving the room type you requested. As you can imagine, the IMEA conference is a very busy time for the downtown area and although we do our very best to accommodate everyone, we occasionally do fall short. Please also feel free to contact me directly the next time your travels bring you to the area and it would be my pleasure to make it up to you.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a Courtyard by Marriott. I got everything I expected from a Courtyard by Marriott. Courteous staff, clean rooms, nice amenities. For me, this hotel is all about location, location, location. In the summer, the ball park next door is a great option, as well as the Embassy next door. Baseball and nationally recognized acts as well as the Philharmonic are all great entertainment options. While I didn't use the restaurants in the hotel (there is a Champions Sports bar and grill and a Bistro in the lobby) they seemed adequate. The options that are available within walking distance are plentiful. Visit J.K. O'Donnell's (2 blocks away) or Cindy's Diner (breakfast and lunch, also 2 blocks) There is a King Gyros and 816 Pint n Slice nearby for those late night munchies too. Take advantage of the location and try something new.

Room Tip: King rooms have a microwave and small refrigerator. Very helpful, I imagine, for the business class...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ft_Wayne_mom

Thank you for taking the time to give such a wonderful review of our hotel. All comments are greatly appreciated but glowing ones like yours are the best. Our location is truly fantastic. With the plethora of entertainment and dining opportunities in the immediate area, our guests are rarely dissatisfied. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just as a point of reference I have been a loyal member of IHG for years. I have been a platinum member for the past 5 years. I only booked this Marriott because I was attending a wedding reception for a buddy of mine. I must say that I am VERY impressed with this Marriott.
I will start with the staff. I would rate them with an A plus rating. I was treated as an honored guest from the time that I walked into this hotel until the next day when I left. I enteracted with many members of the staff as the wedding reception was held at the hotel. This hotel has an awesome crew.
The rooms were very impressive. The bed and pillows were very comfortable which is hard to find at some hotels. The room was very clean with plenty of room. The bathroom was great with a glass shower which I always enjoy.
The location was spot on. It was close to everything downtown. We enjoyed the view of Parkview Feild even though it was snow covered.

Room Tip: The higher the better. In the summer request a Parkview Field view and watch a game from your room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sigs99

WOW! Thanks for such wonderful words about my team and the hotel. We always appreciate feedback but words like yours make all of our days. Our mission is to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in the Fort Wayne area and your review tells me we achieved that goal on your visit.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have now stayed at the Courtyard four times in the past year and a half. A few of our visits have been less than spectacular and a few have been great. We were staying a the Courtyard over New Year's Eve and meeting friends in town for dinner and drinks. The hotel was at pretty full capacity. The room was clean and well ordered although the heat was turned off in the room when we arrived so it was 52 degrees when we entered our room. Not very inviting. The front desk staff was pleasant and courteous. After dinner and drinks we returned to our room about 1am to find a full on game of cornhole going on with about 15 adults int he hallways of our floor. The carousing and noise continued all night. We learned our lesson that the Courtyard is not he hotel to choose when needing a peaceful night sleep during a holiday. We understand people's desire to party and celebrate but the hotel needs to keep a grasp on what they allow and don't allow. Parties in rooms, acceptable, cornhole tournaments in the hall.. not so acceptable. Checkout the next morning was effortless and easy. Parking as always was a snap. The Courtyard is still the best downtown Fort Wayne option, but pick your battles on when you stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrew C

Thanks so much for your continued reviews of our hotel. I always enjoy hearing from you. I believe you have my contact information so if you ever encounter an issue like this in the future, please feel free to reach out to me directly. As you can imagine, New Years Eve is one of those times where it can be a challenge to maintian a suitable level of quiet in the hotel. However, clearly we might have done things slightly differnet in this case. I will certainly address this with my team to prevent it in the future. Again, great to hear from you and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

In Fort Wayne for my sister-in-laws wedding, thus spending the weekend at the Courtyard downtown.

Overall, this review is one of two parts....one part 'ok' and one 'above expectations'.

Let's start with the 'ok' part of the review...that being the review for the actual facility...the room, lobby, parking, etc.

The rooms are a bit smaller than most although very new and clean. When we arrived in our room the room temperature was a fridgid 52 degrees. Apparently someone, cleaning staff?, turned off the heat while making-up the room and never turned it back on. Luckily we were only dropping off luggage and then wisking off to the rehersal and dinner. When we returned the room was roasting. I realized while the heat was turned off.....the thermostat doesnt work. We had no control over the heat other than opening the window / closing the window to regulate the temperature overnight.

What is it with Marriot hotels and thier pillows...they are these square, mushy things that somewhat resemble pillows. Going to the front desk later to see if there is something different available. Overall, not a very comfortable sleeping event. I would definitely take this into consideration if presented with another opportunity to stay (especially given that there is an Embassy right across the street).

The highlight that exceeded expectations was service. While at the rehersal dinner, the bar only offered Pepsi products....who would ever order a bourbon and Pepsi? Needing a Coke, I went on a search of the building for a vending machine, etc. At the front desk there is a Market...filled again with Pepsi products. The employee at the desk asked if she could help. I asked where I could find a Coke and was told "not here". A few minutes after giving up on my search, this employee found me in one of the banquet rooms with two Cokes....apparently they have a stash for us Coke only drinkers. Above my expectations that she went out of her way to find me.

The pool is TINY but says that it'll hold 49 people...my kids are still trying to figured out how 49 people would be able to fit in this pool without displacing the water....I guess we'll have to find 49 people and test it out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bradley g
Dale N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown at Grand Wayne Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I'm thrilled that Carol was able to have ultimately been able to provide you with a bourbon and Coke. Marriott does use Pepsi products but we do keep an small inventory on hand as I know there are many who feel the same way you do. I'm also thrilled that our service was excellent and you had a great time at the wedding. We look forward to a return visit sometime soon.