“Absolutely horrendous!”

Don Hall's Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We checked in this hotel and were given a key from the 1970's. If it were lost anyone could get in your room because there's nothing more than a deadbolt. Something leaked from the ceiling on our floor. Upon entering our room we noticed a spider web with a spider in it. Beds were very small and hard as rocks. Pillows were all deformed. You could see the light around the base of the door coming in room when going to sleep. In the morning, we found a garbage bag of towels at our door. We did not feel comfortable or safe at all. I actually put suitcases against the doors when we went to bed. We were supposed to be there 5 days and we checked out the next morning. We went back that next night to visit friends and our room still hadn't been clean (the door was ajar). Friends that were staying there actually checked out and joined us the Holiday Inn by the Coliseum. They had mold in their bathroom at the Don Hall. Holiday Inn was luxury compared to the Don Hall. Yuck!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Tim H, General Manager at Don Hall's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

I have been staring at this review for quite sometime not knowing how to respond!?!?
Let me just say, Yes we are an older hotel and we operate with keys not cards. We are clean and we are constantly updating everything. We are very secure. In fact, we are the only hotel in town that has a live security officer every night! Finally, I find it interesting that you check out of a full service hotel that is operated by professionals, with a list of complaints, and check into one that is operated by students with praises???

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We chose this hotel for a brief relaxing getaway, and ended up wanting to leave far before we took off at around 7:45 am. What seemed like a good value with a free dinner and breakfast ended up being a waste of our hard-earned dollars. The worst thing was the smell not only in the room but in the hallways to the rooms (they were worse). Plus there was a pop can and other food trash on the hallway floors the entire time we were there. The bed was ghastly - so very uncomfortable!! The carpet in the room was old and dirty.

The dinner food was good, but the breakfast was not. This establishment is an average restaurant with a very bad hotel attached to it. The outdoor and indoor pools are nice but they offer no towels. The ones that had at one time been available were just tossed about on chairs and on the floor and left there overnight...truly disgusting.

Also on the floor above, the noise and pounding continued on past 3:00 am. I can't say much for the clientele during our night there. We were truly in the wrong place at the wrong time!

I am a person who loves to write good reviews and have rarely if ever written a bad review of any hotel. This one truly deserves the truth to be told. I am saddened that I chose to go there. We should have gone camping....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carol3919
Tim H, Manager at Don Hall's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Wow Carol. We are so sorry about your experience! Generally we get great reviews on our cleanliness. I will say, the first portion of July, we were waaaay busier than expected and yes, we did have a difficult time keeping up with some of the rowdy kids taking pool towels and discarding them wherever they like. In regard to the "smelliness" comment, I am not sure what room you were in but I suspect you may have had one of the ex-smoking rooms. Up until July 1st we had smoking rooms, but on that date, a law was passed here in Indiana that all smoking rooms be smoke free. This takes time change out everything in the rooms. Especially when there are tenants in them. Now that things are easing up a bit, we are replacing all of the mattresses, carpet and linens in those rooms. So sorry for your experience but we are doing our best to keep the Guesthouse Hotel the cleanest in Fort Wayne.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed at Dan Hall's Guesthouse for 3 nights over the weekend of June 1st. We only had 2 breakfasts there but I haven't had such a substantial and tasty breakfast in the USA in a long time. Our waitress was exceptional and shared many laughs with us. Our room was on the 1st floor, so we could walk out straight to our car. The bedroom was average being a guesthouse but it was clean and tidy. What more could you ask for? I don't like towers with bedrooms, all identical and with lots of granite. I like character in my accommodation and this has a lot.

Room Tip: There are no views in this part of Fort Wayne so a room where you can walk out to your car is perfec...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trishb
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Our 38th Anniversary night stay at the Guesthouse included a well-appointed and spacious room with a comfortable balcony and a dinner/breakfast package. The prime rib dinner and the delightful breakfast were superb. (Hint: the sauted mushroom appetizer was one of the best we have ever had!) The personal and caring touch came when the front desk staff sprang into action to help me resolve a problem that arose from delivery error for my wife's Anniversary flowers. Although the original problem was totally external to the Guesthouse, the Don Hall staff made it their business to find a florist for me, create a cheese/fruit/cracker plate, and get it all delivered to our room while my wife and I had dinner. The arrangement was gorgeous, the snack plate was delicious, my wife was thrilled, and I could not have been more pleased with the personal interest and assistance that we received. The care felt more like family than like a buisiness transaction. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the outdoor pool and courtyard are quiet in spite of the location being close to I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were just passing through FT. Wayne, and stopped at the downtown visitor center. With temps nearing 100 degrees, I asked one of the ladies about hotels with a pool. She mentioned Don Halls Guesthouse as a good choice.
I've stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms and never left a feedback until now.
My wife and I stayed there last night and found the hotel amazing. Yes, it is older. However the Hall family and their managment team has done a tremendous job of upkeep and remodeling. In fact it has that nostalgic feel with great ambience. Clean, two nice pools ( an indoor and outdoor) , balconies for the second floor rooms, comfortable beds, nice shower and a lovely courtyard.
It is by a busy highway so while outside you do hear some road roar, yet tolerable. Inside the rooms it is dead quiet. That to me is a testament to being quality built, opposed to some of the hotels built in the past decade whose walls are paper thin and you can hear the occupant of the next room sneezing.
I"M SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST
The food was you would find at a restaraunt where the bill would be $$$ .. Since we were a couple they charged $10.00 more for another adult. No problemo.
For dinner the wife ordered walleye with a almond baste that was to die for. My steak smothered with onions and mushrooms was mouth watering, while the baked potato was ig enough for both of us to share and then some. The tossed salad even had mandorm orange, while the warm bread was delicouis.
After dinner our friendly server brought around a tray of exotic deserts that they make on sight. Due to being so full we had to pleasently decline.
Breakfast the next day was also awesome. I had a denver omelete with tomatoe on top that melted in your mouth, while my wife ordered the bisquits and gravy that were unbelievable. They had a taste that would make the best southern breakfast cook smile with admiration.
All of this for $99.00. WOW
Thanks to all at Don Hall's Guesthouse for a wonderfull stay. We will make a return trip to FT. Wayne thanks mostly to your hospitality..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jeff p
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Room was clean and well appointed, great temperature. The rooms on the first floor all have access to outdoor exit to a very attractive and well-manicured green space and courtyard with a large, lovely outdoor pool. There is also an indoor pool.

We had a king room with a nice TV and great lighting. We thought that the restaurant was pleasant and food was good. It wasn't one of those situations where you have to eat a continental breakfast...We ordered off the menu and were in a full service restaurant. They even gave us coffee to go.

The hotel is pet-friendly and the fee was only $10 for our two miniature poodles.

Room Tip: They offer suites, adjoining rooms and have an onsite CAKE bakery.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed at the Hall's Guesthouse on Thursday, 3/15/12. I have stayed here before and always enjoy my stay. The outside of the hotel looks older but the rooms are very updated and extremely clean. I received a free Breakfast and dinner for 89.99. The breakfast was fantastic and was so much food I couldn't finished it. For dinner they had several items to choose from and if you didn't want those you could anything and take $13.00 off the bill. The staff is very nice and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ft. Wayne.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are newly remodeled
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business