“Decent hotel in a seedy area of town”

Red Roof Inn Fort Wayne
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Fort Wayne
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here because we were just passing through. There was a soccer tournament that booked up all the hotels in better parts of town. It was 3:30am and were exhausted from driving so we either had to stay here or sleep in the car. It was cheap enough at $49 per night...with the sign at the front desk stating that there was no water in the building...but there is another building out back that had water. Ok, fine.

When I got to my room, there were no towels at all. I decided to worry about that in the morning. The room was old but clean and the bed was comfortable. Surprisingly enough the room was quiet as well. When I called the front desk in the morning about the towels, the gentleman working the desk was at my room with towels within 2 minutes.

Yeah the neighborhood is a little concerning, strip clubs, truck stops, very seedy looking motels, etc. This property is obviously the gem of the area. I wouldn't want to stay here for more than a place to sleep after a long day of driving but it did the trick.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rick G
guesthouseinnfortway, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Guesthouse Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• I am glad that you like our hotel and bed in the room assign to you. Staff received our commendation.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Guesthouse Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Scarey guests next door to a strip club. Had a toothless trucker follow my wife into the hotel - down to her room and then turn around once he saw which door she went into. The bed was mad but the sheet and pillow cases were stained and the place smelled of who knows what. We had checked in so that we would have a place to change and clean up before a party we had been invited to. No other hotel in the area was available. My wife wouldn't even sit on the bed to change her clothes. We had paid for one night because we live in Indy and didn't want to drive home late after the party. After checking in - we changed clothes and put our suite case back in the car. I just didn't drink and drove us home rather than staying in that dump. Anyone giving it more than 1 star (because I can't give it zero) is obviously a planted review.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
guesthouseinnfortway, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for staying with the Guest House Inn during your last visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and sorry for the incidence howsoever.

We apologize for the inconvenience. But would like to inform that we have ensured that all the mentioned points of observations have been addressed to.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally for any assistance to you in the future. My e-mail address is info@guesthouseinnfortwayne.com.

Please do visit us once again and see the difference.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

First the good: The room had no odor, was clean, pleasant and well-appointed. The staff was friendly. Very nice large inside and outside pools. The heating and air were vented with a wall thermostat, like in a house, which made it easy to keep the room temp controlled. There was a mini-fridge for our perishables. Roomy with an easy chair and a table with 2 chairs as well as a desk. The first floor rooms had easy access from the outside as well as a door to the interior hall. Unlike some other reviews, the linens were clean and fresh and everything worked. All the staff seemed to be Americans, maybe I just missed the manager that other reviews mentioned.

Now the not-so-good:This is an old hotel that was around long before the no smoking law went into affect in Indiana. Because of that, when I laid face down on the bed, I could smell the old cigarette smoke in the mattress. There was paint off one of the walls - seemed very odd the room had not been repainted. The otherwise new-looking shower curtain had slits in it where the seams were. There were two telephones - one had no cord.

We checked in around 1:00 in the morning after calling hotels.com to make our reservation. The night clerk had no record of it and, in fact, said he never gets any record of it. Thankfully, he took my word for the room rate they quoted us. He told us we couldn't get in the room via the outside door with the key, but we could get in from the hallway and then unlock the door to the outside. What he didn't tell us is that the key worked to the outside door--we just couldn't use it the first time because of the deadbolt, so the whole trip we took the long way through the hotel to our room.

The maid knocked on the door around 9:30 the first morning after we didn't get to bed until after 1:00. I hollered "not now" from the bed. Later we found a bag of clean towels hanging on our door but she never came back to clean the room.

The hotel advertises free breakfast on the website, but don't be fooled. The coupon you have to get from the front desk every morning is only good for $4 off your breakfast. It bought one bowl of fruit, and we had to pay for our beverage.

Now the really bad: Our door to the interior hall didn't close enought to lock if you weren't really, really careful about it. No one told us this, even though we found out later they were aware of it. The first day there we came back and found it was not locked. The second day we had it shut tight and exited by way of the outside door. That evening we found the door from our room to the hallway was once again not locked, this time by the maid. Thankfully, nothing had been stolen. We feel there is no excuse for this lack of security. This is why I gave the room a poor rating.

One more really bad: This may not have been the hotel's fault, but it was the most aggravating thing about the stay. It took 3 calls to the front desk between 10:30 and 11:30 the 3rd and last night to get some peace and quiet. There were a lot of people partying just outside our room. I feel like we paid for a good night's sleep, and we are fairly early to bed people. There is no reason this was allowed to go on for so long. Security should have come back by to be sure they had really stopped after his first time there. Instead, I had to keep calling the desk. This is why I marked poor for the sleep quality. Other guests may not have this issue.

After all this, I really wonder how they got a 4 star trip advisor rating that they have haning in their lobby.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amylynnentn
guesthouseinnfortway, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Fort Wayne, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and we appreciate the time taken to write the lengthy review.

We take each of the review quite seriously.

We are really sorry for the experience how far unlikely it may be.

We investigated the points mentioned and would like to inform that we regret the unlikely incidence like the one you have mentioned.

Nevertheless we have taken each of the related department to task to ensure that there is no second chance to post a review similarly.

We hope you would appreciate our efforts and do visit us to confirm this.

You will find your next stay a really nice experience.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Out of all the hotels in the general area, Guesthouse Inn is clearly the cream of the crop. The rooms are clean, the flat screens are a plus, the refrigerator/microwave proved useful and the staff was polite. The club next door might make some a bit skeptical, but my stay for the weekend proved to be a quiet and pleasant one.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This place is horrible! If you happen to ride pass this dump keep driving. How lucky was I to have gotten stuck in such a dump. The Hindu woman working the front desk (owner) has a really bad attitude. She rolled her eye's every time I would ask for something. The breakfast is just horrible. I booked a room for 4 days, and I wanted to leave the next morning. I am a diabetic on insulin and I was told the fridge worked. I went to the desk the next morning and explained to the owner I needed a working fridge and she became extremely rude telling me that, I was the only person complaining about my fridge. I asked a few more guest who had the same issue with their fridges. She called over a guy to look at the fridge who confirmed that these fridges in this place has never worked and she always get's that complaint. Keep In mind my Insulin had been out for almost 24hrs by then. I then asked for a refund she told me no and walked away from me. In my bathroom right above my shower head there is a big hole that is plugged up with a towel. The toilet was very shaky. The house keepers had a nasty attitude as well who also told me that after 11am they don't have to service me. I can go on and on about this place, PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Room Tip: Do not book here RUN
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 87Miss_2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Guest House Inn for your last visit to our area.

We also thank you for giving us a review and bringing the points for improvement.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

Hotel upkeep staffs have ensured that all amenities are perfect and functional.

Special actions have been taken to check all the fixtures are sound and safe.

We invite you once again to stay with us and experience a new hospitality.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The rooms will appear clean but once you pay and go in watch out for dirty sheets and pillow cases. The refrigerator dont get cold at all the toilet stop working on us they had no plunger to loan us. The hindu managers were very cruel to us and lied said nobody ever complains but the handy man told us they get complaints all the time regarding the same we complained about. the towels are very very dingy house keepers refused to give us towels because it was after 11am only one ice maker and the hindu's got that off craigslist BEWARE!!!!!! i would not board my dog here pathetic place

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jeffwalters67

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Guest House Inn during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate you for the review and regret the experience and take it seriously towards improvement.

We have investigated the points and have taken steps and assure you that this does not happen again.

We hope that you will reconsider and once again visit us to have a new experience.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked the room on Priceline, Everything you see, makes you think you are getting the Hall's Guesthouse (a VERY reputable place) This place is in with Brandy's (a strip club), the truck stop and NO room in there is a NON-smoking room, until after the maids (or whoever) clean it! Straight from the managers mouth!
The place is a dump, I wouldn't pay to have my dog boarded there! Nice try Guesthouse, but you aren't fooling me OR anyone I talk to about the place you run!

Room Tip: DO NOT LET THE NAME "GUESTHOUSE" FOOL YOU (that's what they want you to think) Then th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marlene M

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Guest House Inn during your last visit to our area.

We appreciate you for the review and your overall remark.

Any how we take your observations about the rooms and all other things has been taken care of and you shall not have such an experience again.

All amenities and toiletries have been improved.

We hope that you will choose us once again and have a new experience.