“small casino, everything else wonderful”

Belterra Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 18, 2006

Went to belterra for weekend in mid July. We stayed with our brother in Cinncinati so didn't see the rooms. but others we talked to were all happy with them. About a 45 minute drive from downtown Cinncy. The casino is very small (2 floors) with table games on only one floor. they have just about all games but have only 1-2 tables for each game except for blackjack. We went on saturday and table limits were low. $5 dollars on blackjack but we like pai gow and they didn't have that table open until noon. Tables went up to $15 in afternoon. Buffet for lunch was $10/ person. very reasonable price for the variety of food. Breakfast is only $8/person. i went specifically to play golf and it was AWESOME. Course is beautiful but don't expect holes along the ohio river. It was hot that day but they have water on nearly every hole. we played after 2:30pm when they have a twilight rate of $55. I've played a lot of courses and this one might be the best for the money. We went to the poker room but there was not much action. They only had a 1-2 no limit game and the table did not get full until around 2:30pm. They had a 2-5 no limit game later on at around 8:30pm. The players are mostly locals and my wife and i found them to not be very courteous. they talked openly about hands and did not follow etiquette. the lobby entrance area and restaurants are in emaculate condition. very clean. in fact the whole place is top notch but the casino is quite small. I would definitely come back again but be prepared for the resort to be the ONLY thing around you.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JFG0180

Reviewed June 19, 2006

We stayed one night at Belterra on our way to Chicago. It was an hour out of our way but well worth the time. It was one of the nicest places we have stayed. For 59.00 a night we got our money's worth plus. We won more than that in the casino and covered all our expenses. The rooms were oversized and everything was immaculate and clean. It was a pleasure to go to our room at night. The food was excellent and moderately priced. Take the time to visit Belterra. We enjoyed our visit and would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank halfpintHuntsville
Reviewed April 17, 2006

This was my second trip to Belterra. The first time we went, we thought that it would be fun to get a group together and go down, so that's what we did for this trip. A few of the people got lost- it's so far off the beaten path it's almost funny. (Trailers as far as the eye can see!!) ...but once you're there it's surprisingly nice. The rooms are great (huge, beautiful marble bathrooms) None of us are huge gamblers, we didn't have any big winners in our group. (about 14 of us) It's very smoky in the casino which starting to get to us after awhile.
We ate at Jeff Ruby's the first night and had a great meal. (The beer can chicken is good, but it can feed a small army. We made jokes about it all night) We had the buffet for dinner one night and we loved it. -and I'm NOT a buffet person... but they had everything from pizza, to fried chicken, to crab legs, and a huge dessert area. Here's a hint, the breakfast buffet is something like $10 until noon. After noon, they bring out the crab legs and pizza basically, and the price doubles in price. Get down there by 11:50am and you'll get the best of both. (you'd think I was a senior on a budget with this e-mail which makes me laugh...I'm 30)
I had a facial at the spa. It was good, but not worth the money. I had a massage the last trip and would do that again. The workout room is nice, and I enjoy the whirlpool/sauna in the locker room. It's a great way to spend the afternoon while the husbands golf!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Wanderer76
Reviewed April 15, 2006

We went to Belterra for a weekend getaway with a group of friends.

Check-in
Check-in had a little bit of a problem as they only ended up having 1 room reserved instead of the 3 that we reserved online. Luckily they had rooms available. If you reserve online, I would call ahead to confirm.

Rooms
The weekend rate was $149. We got a room on the fourth floor which was all non-smoking. The rooms were nicer than the other casino hotels in the area.

Casino
The casino is the smallest of the three in this area. They did have some $5 tables (Blackjack, Roulette & Let It Ride) but they raised them to $10 after 5pm. Let It Ride does not have the bonus bets. They had a wide variety of slot machines (.01 to 5.00). A few Video Poker machines as well. We didn't play long in the Casino because we were there to play poker. No one in our group won any money in the casino itself.

Poker Room
The poker room is non-smoking. We signed in at the poker room for 2/4 tables. They gave us a pager and we were paged when a spot opened up. The dealers were friendly and so were the other players. Most of us finished up or even. There were also some tournaments going on. Not sure on the buy-ins for the tournaments.

We really didn't take many breaks from poker to eat. We grabbed Starbucks for breakfast. We ate burgers and fries from the Casino Cafe. They were actually very good and reasonably priced. You could order deli food in the poker room.

They do have a Spa. We checked out the prices but never booked any treatments. I thought the prices were reasonable compared to other casino spas I have visited. A 50 minute Swedish Massage was $75.

They also have an indoor pool which we did not visit.

This place is pretty isolated. I didn't see any restaurants, stores or even gas stations around.

Overall we enjoyed our visit and will plan to return soon.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank lauralea27
Reviewed March 25, 2006

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! We are from Cincinnati, so the hour drive to Belterra is nothing. We decided to go on a Friday night and just spend the night-- it was a great experience. It seems like an "itty bitty Vegas casino" (MUCH nicer that the other two on the Ohio river in the area). The room had a marble bathroom (w/ double sinks & a jacuzzi for two & TV), separate toilet room, glass shower, our king bed was comfy, extra pillows were great.

We LOVED the service there. We ate at the Jeff Ruby's steakhouse (VERY $$, but so worth it) and when I didn't eat all my chicken, they asked if I was staying in the hotel. I confirmed it and they sent up a mini-fridge for the chicken by the time our bill was paid. Now that is service!

There was a tiny stain on the carpet, but everything else was spotless.

The area around the casino has NOTHING to offer visitors, so one - two nights are plenty. There's a nice golf course, pool, and hot tubs outside - would be great in the summer.

You'll have a great time if you go!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank sommerlovin
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Went to Belterra for a quick visit late Jan. 2006.
The good: The rooms were very nice and oversized, especially for the price--i think it was $80 for a jacuzzi room. Would consider room and bathroom to be 4 star material. Very nice whether you want to gamble or not--just for quick getaway.

We live in Columbus and the drive wasn't too bad--about 2.5 hours or so and would do it again just for the hotel. The restaurants ( if you don't want to eat there you'll have to bring own food because the hotel is located in middle of nowhere) all seemed pretty nice--ate at buffet (about average by my estimation with good desserts), a moderate price restaurant and an upscale steak house.

The bad: Now it needs to be mentioned that we were there on a Sunday and Monday and that might make a difference, but we felt we were in a nursing home with all the "old" people around. If your looking for a younger crowd, then this might not be the place for you. In about 40 years, I'll fit right in.

The Ugly: My main game in the casino (albeit we're small rollers) is craps. We had been there 5 minutes and I was discussing the fine points of the game with my GF and we were insulted by a snarly mean old man--who apparently thought we were making too much noise (my gf later commented that he was in the wrong place if he didn't like noise considering all of the noise from the slot machines). He insulted us forcing my gf to leave and we ended up in a verbal altercation of sorts forcing one of the floor supervisors to "settle" things down. I was then asked if I would like to go to another table (there was only one other table) by the floor supervisor even though the snarly old man started the whole thing and was offering no aplogies--but he was betting about $75 a hand from my estimation and I was betting about $5 a hand and I assumed this made a difference to the casino. I didn't move and ultimately spoke to the head supervisor on the floor--the gentleman was very nice and apologized profusely and even comped a couple of buffets for us. This was very nice and much appreciated. He told us that the old man was a regular and had a history of that behavior and that "he would be spoken to". The long and short of it is that I don't know if he was spoken to about it, was present at another table later that night (I avoided him at all costs) and if he has a history of this--why does this casino continue to cater to him other than the fact that they put money before customer satisfaction. Its unfortunate because otherwise Belterra seemed to be a nice place....

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank bigguyp
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Each year on our anniversary we spend part of our vacation at Belterra. It makes it feel like our honeymoon all over again. Great place to relax and get away from it all. Rates are great and we always have so much fun there together. Love the champions club experience!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank BUCKEYEJIM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Sunrise Inn
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dry Ridge

Been to Belterra Casino Resort? Share your experiences!