“Another terrific last minute visit!”

Belterra Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We decided at the last minute to see a show called The Rat Pack (a tribute to Frank, Dean and Sammy) and stayed over night! Right from the beginning our visit was great. Even though it was busy the bellmen were friendly and professional and helped us as soon as they could. The hotel staff is exceptional, from assistant manager, front desk, housekeeping and repairmen. We loved the show and our rooms and we even spent some time in the casino! A top notch visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kellerma

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Well that is my opinion. We went Belterra for the first time almost ten years ago and it was far from friendly or in my opinion one that I thought we would never visit again . Well we decided to give it another try about a month ago and we were really pleased at what I call the new Belterra hotel and casino. We went for a one night trip and I had reserved a standard room and as we were checking in I took a chance and I asked the reservation girl named Megan if by chance they had any free upgrades . Well she glanced down at her computer and said how would you like to stay in one of our suites. I said sure. The suite was fantastic. We then went to try their buffet and again were surprised about the changes in the room. Now before you had two floors. One was for seating and the other was for the buffet. Well now everything is on one floor and very easy to move around in. Now get this even the casino seemed to have looser slots as we came home with more than we took up. Now after doing a little research that it is because they have new management and it is headed by a super lady named Susan Ascanio. Ms Ascanio has surrounded her self with great employees. We love it

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sivled
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Belterra is very beautiful and is attached to their casino. The rooms and bathrooms are large. Currently the televisions are outdated but who goes away to watch TV? They have a large pool and drink and food service. Landscaping is beautiful and there are nice views of the golf course and Ohio River.The front desk workers are fast and efficient, The hotel often has live entertainment in their showroom. The lobby bar has live music on the weekends. Food choices include a newly redone buffet,award winning Jeff Ruby Steak House,Starbucks, a small grill in the casino and a new casual sports theme restaurant to open this weekend. The casino has lots of new slots and seems the odds are a little better here

Room Tip: if you are going to use the pool an elevator is at the far end high number rooms on the third floor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at Belterra over the weekend to celebrate anniversary. Overall I would rate the experience as average because most things were overpriced and given the location and the fact that they make money on the casino business, this just didn't make sense.

ROOMS: We were pretty happy with our room, although $260 for one night in the middle of nowhere seemed a little steep. I don't have issues sleeping with some noise, so this wasn't a problem - but the AC kept blowing air non-stop and did make a little noise. Room and bathroom were clean. Everything seemed to be working fine. I do agree with others' comments about the TV - an old tube with marginal resolution. If you want to watch a sporting event, go to the casino or one of the bars / restaurants.

SPA: Really liked the spa, very happy with the service. Locker rooms and gym are on the same level, didn't use them, but they seemed well maintained. Nice sauna and steam room in the locker room - all included with your stay.

FOOD: Starbucks in the lobby - great for breakfast or afternoon coffee. Grill at the pool also pretty good, although prices are crazy. It's all fast food, served very quickly, delivered to the pool and can be ordered at the bar. Jeff Ruby's steakhouse - excellent, well worth it! Ben and Jerry's in the lobby, also great. Didn't make it to the buffet - the Saturday night line was outrageous.

CASINO: Pretty small, smokers everywhere. They have a nice big open space on the roof of the boat if you need a break. There was enough variety as far as games as well as open seating.

POOL: Fairly small, but the service was awesome. Ask for towels, chairs etc. and they will bring everything to you. It does get pretty crowded after 11am so get there early to reserve a nice spot.

CONS: A few things I found strange ...
No free wi-fi when this seems to be the norm in most hotels. $10 per day for internet access in the room. Overall cellular reception is very weak, so even if you are using your phone, most likely it will be super slow. Go to Starbucks and use their wi-fi if you have to.
One of the days my spouse was refused a milkshake at Ben and Jerry's because he paid with a credit card but didn't have his ID to go with it. They refused to put it on the room; he actually had to go and fetch his ID for a $4 shake!!!
Selection at the pool bar was very limited - they couldn't make a mojito due to lack of ingredients.
There are nice big cabanas at the pool which remained 50% vacant throughout the time we were there; the hotel rents them out for $150 per 1/2 day!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

From the time it opened, Belterra was my all time favorite of the casinos in our area. Lately, it has really been going downhill. The rooms are not as clean as they used to be. I hear they are going to update them. That is good news. My husband and I play slots. We loved all the slots they had there when they first opened. Now every time we go, the ones we loved are gone and have been replaced with video ones. We are in our 60's. I realize the younger set probably like these, but we like the older ones as well as many of our friends. I notice a lot of seniors at Belterra. Seems you could cater to both the old and the young. I would love to find a casino that only had the older slot machines. No video ones at all. I think it would be packed with people. I have also noticed that you don't see hardly any pay outs anymore. The last two times we have been there, we have not seen even one. You used to see them all the time. Belterra had the reputation for having loose slots. It may have been that way at one point, but sure does not seem to be the case now. We used to go eight to ten times a year. This year we have only gone twice. Would love to see the place the way it was when it first opened.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Patti C
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Next to Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, Belterra has always been my favorite place to go....Was there June 13th, and boy what changes from the last time I was there in April..........Arrived late, went straight to buffet, it was good for arriving 15 minutes before closing. Waitress was good. Went to check in and was told I would not get the deluxe room, even though Casino host had promised this to us, (and we have always gotten what we were told), they said they would give us a King bed. I said that isn't exceptable I was there with my brother. They gave us a room, and when we went in,,,,,,,,a bag of open almonds was on the desk, and nuts over the top of desk, magazine inserts were laying on desk, the floor was filthy, wire clothes hangers across top of tv cabinet area. Then my brother showed my a dirty wet towel hanging on back of bathroom door. I called to front desk, and again complained about not getting the deluxe room, and told them how bad this room was, he informed me to read the fine print. Room choice is not guaranteed, but I said isn't a CLEAN ROOM guaranteed. They did move us and comped our breakfast the next day........THEN IT GETS BETTER, we go to the casino, and they no longer had any double deck black jack tables, unless you play in the high limits at $25.00 a hand........who can afford that? Got up next morning turned on the TV, red picture. When I check out, I informed them about the TV, and they said they are old and will be replacing it with flat screens, NOW THAT HELPED ME ALOT THIS VISIT. Every visit I have stayed at Belterra you saw cleaning people in the lobby areas and the bathrooms...........NO ONE WAS SEEN. WhaT Is going on. I love this place but this boat is sinking fast. PLEASE IF anyone at Belterra cares, changes need to be made and made fast.
I did not enjoy any of my stay this time,

Room Tip: Check your room out entirely before leaving it. Water, Tv , check everything.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank odiedonna
Steve N, Public Relations Manager at Belterra Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello and thank you for your recent visit to Belterra. We are troubled to see your latest visit was not as great as your previous stays and apologize for the condition in which you found your room. We are known as the best casino resort in our region not only because of the cleanliness of our rooms, but the great service we also provide. While we do not guarantee room types (Deluxe vs Classic) for complimentary rooms we do ensure each room is clean and ready for our next guest; in this case, we failed. We would like to hear more from you as well as invite you back to show you how great the Belterra experience still is. Please Email snewsome@belterracasino.com. We also will pass your comments regarding the Casino to our VP of Casino Operations for review. Again, we apologize for your last experience but know that this will be an isolated one. We look forward to having you back. Thank you for staying at Belterra!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The rooms were very clean and quiet. The whole property was updated and very nice. Casino is not huge, but large enough to have a poker room, table games and all the slots you could want. There is an ice cream shop and sweets shop just outside the casino. All the food we had there was great. I loved the workout area that had huge changing rooms and showers with a jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room. I would go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Hampton Inn Dry Ridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South
22 mi away
Home2 Suites By Hilton Florence Cincinnati Airport South

Been to Belterra Casino Resort? Share your experiences!