“Highly overpriced disappointment, it's an insult to your intelligence!!”

Belterra Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The title says it all, the room was comparable to a best western only 3x the price, it was outdated & lacked the amenities you would expect for the price, huge rip-off. My wife & I decided to eat at the "ultimate" buffet the night of our stay & we're yet again very dissatisfied, $63 for 2 people & it was not nearly as good as a restraunt chain buffet like golden corral or ryans. The service from the staff was terrible throughout the entire facility, they were all inexperienced, unfriendly & some even just plain rude, it seemed as if they were very unhappy to be at work and it contributed to the gloomy tone you feel at this place. They had "scavenger hunt" promo during our stay & we thought it would be fun to try it but was quickly abandoned when we realized all it consisted of was going from shop to shop making $5 purchases for a worthless prize- what a scam. The casino was the worst I've seen in all my life, NO winners in sight, a walk around that casino is depressing as you see so many dissapointed & frustrated people toiling away at their slot machine watching all their hard earned cash disappear, luckily I don't play slots, I heard so many people talk about how tight the slots were I was disgusted with this place. The table games were no better, the gaming staff was completely disengaged from their tables & had brought no excitement to the place, it was like playing craps in a gloomy dungeon. The only upside of this casino is that the casino hosts & gaming staff are very incompetent, thus making it very easy for a card counter or a cheater to make a fortune before getting pushed. I wouldn't go back to belterra even if they offered me a a free stay & a ton of comps, it's just a bad place and a huge rip-off. Do yourself a favor and don't give these people the opportunity to rip you off and insult your intelligence. I would recommend horseshoes southern Indiana for a very good casino/resort experience, I've also heard very good things about rising star but have never been. But whatever you do, stay away from belterra, it is the biggest joke on the Ohio river.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank DoctorTheEdge
There are newer reviews for Belterra Casino Resort

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The buffet is outstanding, and the prices are good for lunch and dinner on Wednesday and Thursday, $10.99. The staff is friendly. The machines in the casino are tight. I never win anything on the slots or video poker there.
The rooms are okay, but they need to replace the old thermostats with a digital one which is more accurate. The temperature adjustment in the room is impossible.
My wife loves the bathrooms, with the glass shower, the whirlpool tubs, and the little television.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trouble38
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed there several times this year and each has been wonderful! The buffet on Friday and Saturday night has huge, delicious crab legs. Jeff Ruby's is a great restaurant to celebrate a special occasion. The spa is awesome and prices are reasonable. Each room has been large and with Jacuzzi tubs in the marble baths. Always exceptionally clean, friendly and helpful staff. The casino is becoming one of my favorites although there is one much closer to me because the slots are new and not too tight. We recently saw Gladys Knight there. That says it all about the type of entertainment they have.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had always heard this was a nice place to go…Now I am a big time believer. Way better than nice, from the beautiful Hotel and great staff, to the Fazio golf course and delicious food at the Buffet. I have never had a better room anywhere. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a bathroom fit for a king…Just excellent in every way. Heck I even won in the casino. I have been to Vegas, Biloxi, Myrtle Beach, Tunica all in search of good golf and fun. This will now be a priority to get back to. Can’t wait til my next stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a casino, however my husband and I booked into the hotel for a night in September and didn't even gamble, we just enjoyed the excellent room, the beautiful quiet pool, great service and good food, and all for just a hundred dollars, (we had a deluxe room, standard was 69 dollars).
The pool was gorgeous with comfortable beds, large towels and great pool bar service. After a afternoon lounging in the sun I had a lovely pedicure in the spa, not the most modern facility but again the service was impeccable, I've still got great toes four weeks on!
We ate in the buffet restaurant which was very entertaining people watching, boy can some people eat! It was very good value for money and the fish bar was excellent.
The only negative is that you can smoke in the communal areas & bars in this hotel and being form the UK we found that very strange as its not been the norm for us for some years now. Other than that small gripe, it was a great night!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We just returned from an overnight and again we had a wonderful time! We travel with our adult daughter and adult disabled son. Everyone there is so professional and extremely helpful. Our rooms were so nice. Noticed a lot of new slot machines since our last visit - what fun!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kellerma
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our room was plenty big as was the bath. But things really are needing to be updated. TV's are older tube models, nothing dates a hotel quicker than that. Our bathroom had some basic maintenance that needed to be done; a light bulb was out over the mirror, marble had a huge chunk missing both in front of the hot water faucet and along the edge of the sink, and the sink faucet was loose. And there was mold on the grout of the tile over the bath. I could rub the mold off with a wet wash cloth, so I have no doubt with a bit of elbow grease and proper cleaining tools it would have come clean. Carpet in the room was looking very worn as well.

Work out facility seemed adequately sized for the number of people using it. Equipment that I used was in working order. Only complaint was that there were no mats or even space on the floor to do stretches.

Casino was very smoky. No real separation between the smoking and non-smoking areas. Casino is very small compared to Vegas standards, but I guess if you really want to gamble, it works. Lot's of slot machines and some table games as well.

Can't really comment on price of the room as we were there for a special event and our rooms were paid for by our hosts.

Only ate in the Aquarium Cafe for lunch, was a bit pricey, but not over the top for a hotel; food was decent.

Our food at our event was actually pretty good for conference/buffet food. They said we had swordfish one night, but having had swordfish before, I highly doubt that is what it was; it was way too white. It was, however, and very nice meaty fish and did taste good. The only food that just did not work was the egg and cheese croisant sandwiches for breakfast; absolutely no flavor at all.

Our safe stopped working after a couple of days, and security did have to come up to open it. It did not take an unreasonable amount of time for them to get there.

Husband and I both thought the beds were too hard, and others at our event made the same comment. However, the pillows were quite nice.

Not a bad experience, but this is not a place I would go to without having a specific reason to go there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Sunrise Inn
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dry Ridge
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richwood-Cincinnati South
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg

Been to Belterra Casino Resort? Share your experiences!