“Great Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Fishers
St. Louis
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I really liked this hotel a lot. I love modern decor and a different touch and this hotel really fit the bill. I don't know much about the geography of Indianapolis, so I can't say much about the location but it was certainly surrounded by plenty of restaurants. The indoor pool area was smaller than I would have liked but the kids had fun in it nonetheless. I will seek out Hotel Indigo's in other locations. We had one in St. Louis where I live and it didn't make it. Not sure why- it seemed the perfect location for such a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed a few times at the Indigo in Fishers. It is a nice looking, affordable hotel that will serve most business people well. Throw in the free hot breakfast and convenience of the restaurant and you are in good shape. The rooms are fairly large and updated. Layout of hotel is just one and a step up from Holiday Inn. Always welcoming staff. Nice job!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Hotel was beautiful in a since of decor and modern feel. All staff we encountered were friendly. They offer complimentary breakfast which is not the norm in other Indigos. The room was nice. Bathroom had some cleanliness issues along with the dust on the floors in the bedroom. Hotel was noisy with thin walls and no carpet, but it did quiet down around midnight or so. The biggest problem I had was with the pool area. Concrete floor had been painted. The paint was peeling up and paint chips were all over the floor, in the pool, hot tub, and ourselves. Also the floor of the pool and hot tub were discolored with yellow and looked as if they needed a serious cleaning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk and were promptly given our room key. I went to grab a luggage rack and was turned off by what appeared to be white dog hairs on both of them. (I heard from the desk clerk that the hotel is under new management and soon will no longer be pet friendly). Luckily there was another clean luggage rack inside the door that was closer to our room. Although the decor is very colorful and unique, the light colors allow dirt and dings to stand out more on the walls and carpeting, leaving the hotel looking a little shabby in some areas. When we opened the door to our second floor room, we were greeted with an odor that smelled of gas/rotten eggs/freshly soiled baby diapers. I called the front desk and was immediately offered a new room. On our way down to the lobby to exchange keys, we had a problem with the elevator. The door opened and got stuck in the open position and an alarm sounded. Within a few minutes it corrected itself. Although both elevators did operate, as another reviewer mentioned, they made strange noises.

Thankfully our new room (on the third floor) did not have the same odor as the previous room. Some observations about the room: The sink is a very cool raised sink. I learned the hard way that you can't pull the faucet handle up very far or the water will spray everywhere. I also found the shower curtain to be ill fitting, making it difficult to keep the curtain in the shower, allowing water to spill out on the floor. Although the wooden stool is an interesting feature, I'm not interested in using a moldy shower stool that has been used by other guests, even if it has been doused in bleach (at least I hope it has been doused in bleach). The pocket door to the toilet/shower offered a bit of challenge as it didn't slide easily and the little pull handle was broken.

The photos of the pool on the website were deceiving as they make it appear much larger then it really is. During our stay, the hot tub was out of order and the pool was freezing cold and appeared rather dirty.

All that said, the room was spacious and clean, and the beds extremely comfortable, which are the most important features to me when staying in a hotel. The location was very convenient to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jared S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fishers, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your recent stay with us. Over the next two months there will be some exciting changes here at the Hotel Indigo in Fishers, Indiana. These changes are a result of the feedback we have received from our valued guests, like you. As you were informed during your stay, the Hotel will no longer be pet friendly starting October 1st, 2012. In addition to the change in our Pet Policy, there will be a completely new complimentary breakfast, fresh paint on the walls, a new bed linen package on all the beds, all new showerheads in the rooms and of course the most outstanding service you will receive anywhere in the Midwest! We truly appreciate it when our guests take the time to tell us how we can improve and we really do listen to what our guests have to say about us. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We would be honored to have you return as our guest in the future.
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Currently staying at this hotel on business for 8 days. I have stayed across the street at the Staybridge Suites on a previous trip.

Overall impressions: They try really hard to be different, which is good. It doesn't feel like your typical hotel in the Midwest - the decor is brightly colored with lots of nature-themed elements (and yes, hardwood floors). That being said, there are few cosmetic and operational issues that could easily bring this hotel up to a true 4//5 or 5/5 rating. I heard from a staff member that the hotel ownership has recently changed, so maybe those changes will happen. Oh, and the dog is no longer in residence, if you were looking forward to meeting her.

The room: king bed, nice size, hardwood floors are okay but do show every tiny speck of lint, hair, etc. I was on the third floor so I didn't hear people above me, but I can imagine that if you were on the lower two floors you probably would hear footsteps. The bed does have some sort of metal frame, as mentioned by previous reviewers, and a rather firm mattress, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. No bathtub, which suits me fine (who takes baths in a hotel?) and Aveda toiletries, which are lovely. Flatscreen TV and lots of channel variety. Wifi worked fine and was free. Lots of paint scuffs and similar cosmetic fixes that could be easily done and would improve the look of the room. No fridge which would have been nice.

The gym: Nice - decent size, with 4-5 cardio machines, freeweights, bench and cable-type multigym, bosu ball and yoga mats. Didn't use the pool or hot tub but it looks clean. Cardio machines have TVs attached.

The restaurant: slightly confusing as there is no defined 'restaurant', just a lounge area wih a bar and tables that coincidentally also serves food. The breakfast was probably my least favourite of my recent hotel stays - some hot food but very little variety. The staff rarely get everything set up before 6:30 despite that being the posted opening time. I ate dinner there last night and was pleased with the value and quality of the food. A bit put off by the troupe of kids and parens camped out in the lounge watching TV but there is really nowhere else for them to go.

The service: everyone was cheerful, check-in was quick, paper arrives at the door every morning. Housekeeping okay so far, it's really hard to get those hardwood floors spotless. Change in ownership may or may not improve things.

Location: unbeatable if you're here for busines at one of the major corporate centers in the area (right off the I-69).

The building: the elevator is s-l-o-w and makes strange noises - if you have two good legs, use the stairs, it's faster. there is a second elevator in the other half of the hotel near the fitness rooms, I never used it, it might be better. Ask for a 3rd floor room. Nice little computer area, heard people using compuers and faxing and they seemed happy with the amenities there. Water pressure seems to be an issue, at least in my room.

Overall, if you can get a decent rate, this hotel is definitely better than some of the alternatives in the area. A few upgrades and some fresh paint would do the place wonders and likely encourage repeat visits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rachel M
Cullman, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Arrival date: 8/4/2012 Arrival time: approximately 11:15pm

After traveling for nearly 8 hours we finally arrived at Hotel Indigo and promptly checked in. Once settled in our rooms we wanted to take a shower, however the shower (in both rooms, 248 and 246) was not only disgusting and beyond dirty, it was also falling apart.
All of the furniture was either broken and missing pieces or extremely dirty. We also found a roach on the ceiling.
We woke up in plenty of time to enjoy the complimentary breakfast, which we were informed at check-in was available until 11:00am. (I, personally, do not do well if I don't have breakfast due to stomach issues.) As we approached the bar/restaurant area a hotel clerk greeted us. I asked if we could just seat ourselves. She replied, "No, breakfast ended at 10. But you can have some coffee." I was shocked! AND my 3 year old was with me, and she couldn't even offer her a muffin or a bowl of cereal ??? Well I don't drink coffee and my 3 year old daughter doesn't either. I thought to myself, So, your not even going to apologize? That was heart breaking trying to explain to my daughter why that “mean” lady would not let US eat with the other people in the restaurant. Just about every table in the restaurant was full with other guests, but WE could not join them.
After discussing the situation with my family, we complained to the front desk clerk. They compensated us (two families of 4) $10 per room. Okay, we still don't get to eat breakfast and then they insult me with $10 off my room??? Absolutely unacceptable!
So then there is the issue with the indoor pool. After fighting with two doors that would not scan are room cards, we finally arrived at the pool. The pool room was miserably hot with hot tub steam and there was so much chlorine in the air your eyes burned as soon as you walk in. The hot tub was way beyond a comfortable temperature and the kids couldn't even get into it because we where afraid that it would burn them. The pool was dirty and every child complained of licking their lips after swimming and tasting like salt (??)..
I have worked in the service industry for over 10 years and I understand sometimes that things don't always get done as they should but this was unacceptable. You should ALWAYS make sure your employees are doing their job and your guests are happy!

Room Tip: My best advise to you is if your looking for a room in the Indianapolis area look somewhere else. I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fishers, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear JSERVER,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Hotel Indigo has its flaws. However, at $75 a night, it's a great value and the price compensates for most shortcomings.

The hotel itself is new and modern, with a nice style. The rooms are generously sized (though the closet was small), with a comfortable bed and nice furniture. The gym is also nice -- small, but with new equipment and TVs.

As mentioned, there are some downsides to the hotel, but almost all of them can be overlooked given the great value:

The toiletries and towels are bad. I didn't like the bedding, with flat sheets under/over the duvet. I prefer a proper, enclosed, duvet cover, to avoid touching the duvet which isn't always washed. Housekeeping service is mediocre. They pretty much only make the bed, empty trash, and restock the towels. They vacuum/mop at most every other day, and anything else that needs straightening out (e.g. the stack of newspapers I never read) won't be touched. The laundry service is really bad. They outsource to a third party, and it's simply not a good provider. They can't even fold clothes properly, and however they're washing the clothes, it seems to be damaging (e.g. losing color, fraying fabric etc.). They also have an annoying practice of putting safety pins through everything, which besides damaging the clothes, take time to unpin everything. Furthermore, the don't even follow basic instructions, such as whether to fold or hang garments. The hotel should really look into another laundry provider. I would have avoided it, but unfortunately with a long business trip, I couldn't.

The service at the hotel is good for the most part. Meredith at the front desk is nice and helpful, but there were others who were not friendly at all.

With the Indigo's affordability, one of the other downsides is that it's ideal for traveling youth sports teams. It was incredibly annoying to have all the noise in the hallways, kids knocking on my door by mistake at midnight etc. The staff really need to either tell the coaches to keep the kids behaving (difficult, I know), or to try and separate them as best as possible from guests who value sleep.

Perhaps there are a lot of drawbacks to Hotel Indigo, but overall it's a nice hotel and you can overlook a lot given the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business