“Nightmare On Walnut Street”

Residence Inn Evansville East
Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Evansville
valparaiso in
“Nightmare On Walnut Street”
Reviewed February 27, 2010

In January I had been promised an early check-in at noon because we were having an out of town family gathering for 3 or 4 hours prior to leaving for a family event. I came
into town the day before to make sure of the arrangements and was told early check in wasn't possible. Mgr and staff were cordial while I tried to figure out a solution .Later that evening I decided that since family were staying in a room that night I would just pay for a second night of their room and not worry about early check in. Well, when I tried to make that arrangement, I got the director of sales, Barbara [-], and she was a nightmare. Rude, arrogant, demeaning. The young lady at the front desk was leaving to get a cup of coffee and Barbara looked at my 85 year old mother and said to the employee "Now if I need you I'll holler and you come quick" (Totally uncalled for.) She also said she was sure I really didn't want to stay there, did I? ( A little late for us to make other arrangements. ) She refused to let me paying for a second night. However, the next morning the manager was happy to let me do so. Finally, I paid for the room with my bank debt card and I was charged double for the room. When I discovered the error, I immediately tried to get it resolved. 3 days later I am still out $125. The manager doesn't seem to know how to credit my account. She won't return my phone calls. I was told the Front Office Mgr. would credit my account Saturday morning and call me. This is Saturday night, still no credit, still no call.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
illinois
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I have never been treated as well at any hotel where I have stayed as I have at the Residence Inn In Evansville. The staff was so friendly and never failed to speak as I passed by. Our toilet wasn't working properly when we checked in. I informed the front desk and it was immediately taken care of. The lady that takes care of the breakfast buffet was also very friendly, talking to people as they came in for breakfast. It was just an enjoyable experience. Oh, the room was great, too.

• Liked — The separate bedroom and kitchenette.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We used to live in Evansville for 3 years and stay at this property with our 2 young children about every 6 months when my husband comes to work in the home office.
The pluses (I have tried to mention some new things):
- brand new LG flat screen tvs, this is an improvement since May (our last stay)
- the sport court, the front desk has all types of equipment you can check out (tennis raquets, ball, basketballs, footballs)
- the housekeeping is staff is generally very good and every time I have stayed there (5 times in the past 2 years) the breakfast area has been kept up well
- the happy hour fare is a great option M-R while we don't often take advantage of it, it is nice to have
- the breakfast always has something for everyone
- location is good and there are restaurants (Cheeseburger in Paradise, Cracker Barrel, and a local Italian place within walking distance)

The minuses
- front desk staff is inconsistent some people are on the ball some are not
- the rooms are a little tired however with the new Hilton Garden Inn opening on the lake as well I believe they will renovate soon- evidenced by the new tvs!
- the pool is often closed and the water can be cold for little people

In the fall Evansville hosts a lot of soccer tournaments and the Residence Inn is popular for families and soccer teams and it can get rowdy,however there will not be a quiet hotel in town (we stayed at the Fairfield or the Hampton once on this occassion when we couldn't get a room at the Residence Inn and it was the same) on these weekends (maybe Le Merigot near the casino) But otherwise it is usually business people on a longer trip and families in transition. They do allow pets in the rooms.

• Liked — A lot of freebies, decent ammenties for the market good location
  • Disliked — Rooms could be updated, front desk staff can be out to lunch
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mexicocity
Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Stayed there for 2 weeks on a business trip in May 07. Was my first stay ever in a Residence Inn; and that was a nice experience. I had a one-bedroom suite with a living room and a fully equipped kitchen. All were extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet with free internet access, the bathroom had everything I needed. Included in the package was a breakfast buffet which was also quite good. Laundry service was diligent. The only thing I did not like was the microscopic pool, always crowded with shouting and noisy children. There are numerous places to eat nearby.
All in all, a good choice indeed!

• Liked — room (quiet, comfy, clean and very well equipped) & breakfast
  • Disliked — pool, reception staff indifferent and not caring
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2007

Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. The pool and whirlpool were exceptionally clean. The excersice room was small but adequate. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. They had a nice variety of yogurt, fruits, pastries along with sausage , eggs and bisci\uits and gravy or pancakes. You could also make your own waffle. They even had tortilla shells with cheese or salsa.

The staff was very friendly and answered any questions we had.

The hotel is conveniently located near shopping and restaurants.

• Liked — the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
California Desert, California
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I spent 4 nights at the Residence Inn expecting it to be far above average for motel/hotel facilities in Evansville, IN. I stay at a lot of Marriott properties and like Residence Inn especially when a stay is that long and a little light kitchen fare, microwave & refrigerator are desirable. The best part: the pool was great for lap swimming and the hot tub was spacious. I had it to myself most of the time. The negative elements have to do with -1- only, slow elevator, the gang of staff who seem to hang around and don't respond promptly to problems as they arise (key didn't work multiple times), messy/unappetizing breakfast area not well-policed (trash always overflowing, out of main items like biscuits, fresh fruit bowl), and especially the very tired room itself. The bed was hard, pillows plunge to flatness when not lumpy, and tired thread-worn sheets and piling blanket. For $100 per night on average booked online, next time I'd stay at the Fairfield Inn or even the nearby Drury Inn which has lots of amenities (free long distance up to 1 hr.) missing altogether from this property. It's probably OK for families, but for business or solo travelers it's a quite tired property and tiring on your stay.

• Liked — Location in town near freeway & restaurants + shopping; Pool.
  • Disliked — That they accept pets (allergies) & hard mattress + poor linens.
  • Tips/Secrets — Not worth full price; if you must stay here use any online service.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank ScribelifeSFO
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed at the Resdence Inn in Evansville while visiting the University of Evansville. We had a one bedroom suite which had a queen in the bedroom and single pull out in the living room. The room also had full size fridge, micro, dishwasher, and two stove top burners. The room was very clean and bright and lots of room for three of us. The only down side was that the pull out was not the most comfortable but certainly not the worst that we have come across. The property was very clean, everything looked to be in good shape, indoor pool and exercise room, outdoor lounges. There is a hot buffet breakfast included with the room which was quite good. This hotel is away from the major highways (but still right at the exit) so you don't hear the trucks and cars roaring past all night which is a bonus for me because this night noise can drive me crazy. There is a large pond right across the road from the hotel that is nice for a walk and relax from a day on the road. We ate at Stavro's which was within walking distance from the hotel and it was very good. There are also numerous chains to eat at within a five minute drive. The front desk staff were knowledgeable about the area and quickly able to make recommendations. This is always an iimportant feature when visiting an area that you don't know at all. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed July 2006