“nothing special, poor customer service at front desk”

Holiday Inn Evansville Airport Hotel
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Evansville
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 05/18/2012. Hotel is average overall. Lobby is quite noisy, considering the pool is located in the lobby. Pool is open until 11pm, so beware you can hear ALL the noise from inside your room! My biggest complaint is the poor customer service by the front desk staff. When checking in at approximately 8pm, I asked if a 2 queen room was available, the lady at the front desk said, "No, none available." After noting the lack of cars in the parking lot, my husband asked another employee (male) at the front desk if a 2 queen room was available, and yes, now 2 minutes later one was available! Appeared someone didn’t want to do their job! In the morning, I asked the front desk staff if the breakfast buffet was included in our stay, employee stated, “not included in our stay because we booked through Priceline, but I think kids are free, unless they changed that, I really don’t know. You will have to ask someone else.” Again, another employee who did not want to do their job and provide me with all the information I requested. The lack of customer service is inexcusable to me. I can overlook the construction and noise in the lobby, but poor customer service is not something I can tolerate, we will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Andrew W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Evansville Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us this past week, the information you have provided to us is a valuable opportunity to improve our hotel service. I would like to apologize for the room type issue you experienced during your check in process, I am happy to see that one of our agents was able to get you into a two queen bed room. The second phase of our renovation is well under way and will be completed very soon, when your in Evansville next time please give us another chance to show you our true service spirit.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband & I stayed here on a Friday evening. We have a 4, 2 & 1-yr old and we were so very excited to get away for a night. Our main concern was that since we were on borrowed time, we couldn't get out of town. Well, I could not be more grateful that we DIDN'T leave town!!!

Our first experience was with Eric at the front desk. My husband and I really appreciated his sincerity. He was so easy to talk to...in fact, from the moment we arrived, we asked for Eric every time we needed something! He was likely younger than us (we are both 29) yet he had the maturity & wisdom of someone far beyond our years. He was the perfect balance of professionalism. If I was a business owner, I would jump to hire him!!!

Next, I was thrilled with our quality of sleep. I struggle with a good night's sleep, so this is a biggie for me! Even though we stayed with HI on a Friday night, along with several girls' soccer teams and a Masonry convention, I managed to sleep soooo well! I did not wake up even one time. I even had a choice between "soft" and "firm" pillows!!! I am beyond thrilled with last night's sleep!!!

We were so impressed, also, with how genuine the staff was towards us. For example, early on a Saturday morning (May 19, early!!!) I ran into Ivana (I hope that is her name). She was a pure delight. What a great way to start my morning!!! We spoke for nearly 10 min, and this was unpaid time on her behalf. She was a treat to say the least!!!

All in all, our too-short mini vacay ended far too soon!!! We will NEVER stay at another hotel. We originally planned to stay at Aztar....and for only $45 with our comps. But forget it....you simply cannot beat the Holiday Inn Airport!!!! Try it, you won't regret one second of your stay.

Room Tip: Upper-level floors, preferably 5th floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Clean & comfortable, pool noise a bit loud after 9:00p.. Healthy breakfast choices and friendly staff... Would stay again...

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I totally enjoyed our stay here last Saturday night. The front desk staff were wonderful - very professional but at the same time fun. Even though this hotel was hosting a large group event this past weekend, the bar and restaurant staff made us very welcome. The group event did not negatively impact our stay in any way. When there was a temporary problem with the server for the hotel internet in our room, and the business center was dedicated to the large group for the weekend, they had set up a secondary business center in a nearby guest room on the first floor. When the internet still didn't work there, and we needed to check the weather as we were hoping to fly our plane out of Evansville the next morning, the courtious, helpful pair on the front desk welcomed us behind their counter to do a quick weather check on their one computer as it was on a different system. That is wonderful customer service and we are truly grateful. It was so fun to be able to look out our fifth floor window and see the runway that we had just landed on, and would be taking off from the next day. Yet it is a very quiet airport at night, and we slept beautifully on the great bed and bedding. Beautiful facility and great staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2012

While traveling on business from Henderson KY, I stopped at this unique property in Evansville, IN. The front desk staff was excellent and helpful making a warm welcome. While I was informed of recent hotel improvements, nothing seemed in disarray from construction. My room was very clean and accommodating. The sliding glass door which opened into an indoor balcony was not closing properly and I spent a good deal of time trying to get it locked. I wanted the door completely closed for a quiet nights rest. The restaurant was closed at the time for dinner, so I had to eat in the bar area which is due for cosmetic upgrading. The wait staff was excellent and the food was good for the very limited menu. If I stayed there for more than one night, I would need a healthier menu or be forced to dine outside. All-in-all it was a good stay for me and had all that I needed with exceptional pleasant service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This is an old luxury hotel complete with glass elevators and a huge atrium. The atrium contains the pool which looked very nice and a small dining area. The walk from the parking lot to the room was long and circuitous. I assume a bellman or porter was available but none presented themselves to aid us in getting our bags to the room. No matter, we have wheeled luggage.

We we invited to a"Manager's Reception," which offered free wine, beer, and snacks. Since neither of us drink, that was a non-starter. I think they do the reception in lieu of a breakfast. There was no breakfast bar nor encouragement via a voucher for even some percentage off in the restaurant. I guess free beer is cheaper than breakfast.

The bathroom was small even by RV standards and clearly not ADA accessible. I assume those were available elsewhere. The hotel is layed out in two wings in a vee that a compasses the atrium. So plan on a long walk to your room.

Upon our departure, I informed the desk person that the clock radio in the room (216) was defective and made noises and flashed 12:00 all night. I reset it twice but it returned to 12:00. I tried to unplug it but the receptacle was (not to code) inaccessible behind the king bed platform. The extra pillows on the bed were employed burying the flashing clock. The bathroom sink drained slowly enough I couldn't even wash down my whiskers. The desk person wrote down NOTHING. I can only assume he has a really good memory.

Lesson learned... No more Holday Inns for us. Next time it will be Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: February 2012
Andrew W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Evansville Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

I would like to thank you for your feedback on our hotel, we will use this information to train our staff to look for problems such as these so they are prevented for all future stays. We appreciate your nice comments about the look of the atrium and pool area as it is a very inviting space in our hotel. You are correct in saying that we offer bell service, I’m sorry that no one presented themselves to aid you, our staff works very hard to make the guests stay is a perfect one. I’m happy to hear that our staff invited you to our manager’s reception, it’s a weekly showcase to present the talents of our culinary team. We do offer a full breakfast buffet in our Bistro 41 restaurant served daily starting at 6 A.M. which is located on the first level of the hotel. We are happy to say that we offer multiple ADA rooms in the hotel, just like all the other rooms in the facility, these rooms are fully renovated. I also apologize for the malfunctioning alarm clock you had in your sleeping room, I wish we could have replaced it for you as soon as it started to flash and make noises. We appreciate your trip to our hotel and thank you again for your comments.

Regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Wonderfully renovated hotel. Proof that an older property can be great, and even better than newer hotels, if maintained. Beds and bedding were wonderful, appreciated the large pool, atrium, and full service restaurant. Service was good and everything was clean, modern, and attractive.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Andrew W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Evansville Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Thank you for your feedback about the hotel, we are very excited about our newly renovated rooms as well. In a short time our entire lobby, restaurant, and bar will all go through major changes to complete the project. This will happen very fast and we will be excited to show off our finished product. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Evansville.