“Modern, clean room, multi-jet shower, continental breakfast”

Le Merigot at Tropicana
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Evansville
“Modern, clean room, multi-jet shower, continental breakfast”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights for business. Room and bathroom were clean. I would have preferred my water glasses and coffee cups had been sealed in plastic or covered, rather than turned upside down on a paper coaster. The shower was like a car wash for humans. Nice treat.

Despite the impressive decor of Blush, the bar and lounge visible from the lobby, the lobby itself is cold and unceremoniously appointed.

The staff was courteous. I asked for extra coffee and creamers for my room and it arrived immediately, so I cannot complain about service.

The breakfast included fresh cut melons, strawberries, and grapefruit, whole fruits, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, and typical mix of muffins, pastries, and bagels.

I did not go to the connecting casino. There is a Ri Ra's directly across the street with decent pub food and good beer.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank FoodTruthNow
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We appreciate the comments and I have shared them with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have been to Evansville numerous times for business and in recent years, have opted to stay on the east side instead of downtown. After my last visit to the Aztar hotel and the lack of restaurant selections (that are open) in downtown, I just thought the short drive out east was worth it. This trip I decided to stay downtown at Le Merigot based on a coworker's recommendation and I was not disappointed. The hotel is very modern and clean and the staff was professional and courteous. The room was pretty good size and had a large bath with the nice rainforest shower. I did not try the Blush restaurant, but probably would have if I were in town for more than one night. Since I was only there for one night, it really did not matter much, but it would have been nice if they would put a mini fridge in the rooms and the wall mounted flat screen seemed very far away from the bed and I had to keep turning the volume up. I was worried that the neighboring room would be disturbed by the noise. While I am not a casino gambler and I still do not think there are enough restaurant choices downtown, I will certainly consider staying at Le Merigot again on my next visit to Evansville.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cincytripper
Thank you for posting your review about LeMerigot. It is truly appreciated. Reviews are an additional way we learn how we are doing. I have shared you comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back. We are researching your idea of having refrigerators in all our rooms. In the meantime, we have them available on request. Just mention it the next you are making your reservation. Thanks again!
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for five nights on business trip. Was very impressed with this hotel! Rooms are spacious and updated. Bathrooms are large with nice, spa-like showers. Continental breakfast was nice, and staff did a nice job of keeping items stocked. Like other reviewers, adding one or two hot proteins would be a plus. Enjoyed the Blush bar for happy hour; bartenders were friendly. Beds are nice and very comfortable. Look forward to staying again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank kathmeyer
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate guests taking the time to complete a survey or review. It helps us know what we are good at and what we could improve on. I have share your compliments about our Blush team with our Beverage Manager. Thank you again for the great review.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Casino Aztar is a hole - it's not a great Casino and the Casino hotel is horrible and dated. But right next door is Le Merigot - great rooms, way nicer than you'd expect in Evansville. Nice bar, friendly front desk. Definitely a great place to stay.

4 Thank TravelingFool67
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your loyalty and comments. I will make sure to share them with our team. You may not know that our Casino Aztar Hotel recently completed a multi-millikon dollar renovation. As you mentioned, the hotel needed it. Tropicana has made sure that all the rooms were completely renovated. New furniture, fixtures, bedding, and brand new bathrooms! We are in the process of re-branding Casino Aztar to Tropicana Evansville. Our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony is actually this Friday, June 14th. We are very excited about the changes with our sister hotel and look forward to an exciting future as Tropicana Evansville. Please check out our website. Thanks again. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Le Merigot when we were in town for a wedding; We typically stay at Casino Aztar with mixed reviews, so decided to give Le Merigot a try. We were very pleasantly surprised at the modern and updated elements of the room, which was very clean, of good size, with nice decor and a comfy bed. The shower and bathroom are absolutely beautiful and a huge perk to the room. The location is great, within walking distance of lots of bars and restaurants, and in view of the river walk. We greatly enjoyed the bar, including the outdoor seating space with lovely fire pits to enjoy the evening.

The only reason I am not giving a perfect score is some difficulties we had with the staff. I called a month before the wedding to book the room and to assure early check in (we were driving over 6 hours, leaving in the early morning hours to assure timeliness for the wedding). I requested a 12:30pm check-in time, and was told to call closer to the event to assure this was available. I called a week before the wedding, and was still told to call the day of to guarantee. Before leaving out home in TN, I called the hotel and was told that the staff would do what they could to assure check in, but they still could not guarantee our room would be ready. So my husband and I drove to Evansville, still unsure if we would be able to get ready in our room or would be forced to change in our vehicle. Luckily, our room was ready when we arrived but it was quite stressful. Also, upon arrival, there was no valet who came out, or a bellman who offered assistance with our bags. However, upon check in, the manager was very polite and helpful.

Overall, we had a lovely stay, and it was a great hotel for a reasonable price. We certainly would plan to stay again if in the area, and would recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LMS0305
David S, Manager at Le Merigot at Tropicana, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Le Merigot at Tropicana. We appreciate your time in sharing your experience. I can empathize with your anxiety of traveling early in the morning, not knowing if you will be able to check into a room when you arrive. Early arrivals requests are sometimes challenging for us, but we could have done a better job of allaying your concerns. I will share with our team your experience and comments to help them assist other guests in the future. We are also reviewing are valet staffing levels to insure that we are providing the level of service our guests expect. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 24, 2013

First surprise is that the Casino hotel has free Internet, newspaper, and breakfast. The second surprise is how great the room is. I love the bathroom shower and the large window. The bed is very comfortable.
On the negative side, I prefer a standard desk instead of a round table. Also, the desk lamp is controlled from the main room switch; thus, the whole room's lighting needs on when working at the desk.
I prefer hot breakfast, but I see none. For continental breakfast, the quality is good.

Room Tip: Stay at higher floors.
1 Thank watsonk
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We appreciate your comments. You are right about the round table. In our rooms with two queen beds, we offer the round table for more accessibility. Our standard king bed rooms do offer a rectangular table that gives our guests a little extra room. We hope to welcome you back in the future. If so, please know that our sister hotel, Tropicana Evansville, we offer a hot breakfast buffet at our Temptations Buffet. It's located on the 2nd level of the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. Best Wishes
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Le Merigot is right next to the Casino , well located in the downtown part of Evansville, the hotel is nice and rooms are well appointed, nice furniture and great bathroom with nice massage shower. The only thing I didn't like about the hotel is that it has a central airflow vent in everyroom that you cannot control. It makes a sound as if the air conditioning was on. It was too noisy for me. They tried to help me (big cheers to Lew, the front desk guy) who not only sent the facilities staff but he tried to offer me another room, but unfortunately, the other rooms had the same issue. So I had to sleep on ear plugs. In my rate breakfast was included but the selection is very limited. So , not sure I would go back, I don't like sleeping on earplugs

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for telling us about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that our cooling/ventilation system prevented you from having a restful night. I've discussed with our facilities team your situation and yes, our system is somewhat centralized for energy efficiency, but, guests should be able to control the fan/blower in their rooms. I'm not sure if this would have been the solution to your situation, but will continue to look into it. I will let Lew know that you appreciated his concern and efforts. We do strive for our guests to have an enjoyable experience. I hope that we may have the opportunity to serve you in the future. Please call upon me if I can be of any assistance.