“Consistent Excellence for Japanese Cuisine”

Iwataya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 430 Restaurants in Evansville
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Though it is located in a very drab, industrial-looking strip mall north of Evansville, Indiana, Iwataya is a top-notch Japanese restaurant. With a wide variety of seating arrangements (traditional American-style dining table and chairs, booths, or floor sitting on tatami mats). For those who like tatami mats but have with limited flexibility, you will like the recessed well for your legs.

The menu has a wide variety of sushi, sashimi, tempura, and assorted Japanese appetizers. The miso soup, Yakatori, and Gyoza (pork dumplings) are especially good. Overall, the atmosphere is very authentic and the service is top-notch. This is definitely one of the best choices for Japanese fare in the region. Indeed, it can rival restaurants in other urban centers such as LA, NY, or Dallas.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The setting is right, the waiters/waitresses are very knowledgeable, and the food was outstanding. I was unsure of really where to eat as I was only in town for the day. I decided on this remote little Sushi place on the outskirts of town. I sat down and the waiting staff was eager to get me seated and fed (i'm plenty ok with this). I'm pretty familiar with Sushi, but was wondering what this place was famous for. Once I got the waitress to tell me her favorite Sushi rolls, we were in business. I'm sorry, but all i can remember of the rolls was that one of them had Kiwi fruit (yes, kiwi fruit) on top, and the other was a type of Tempura Shrimp Dragon Roll. Anyways...amazing dinner and it brought me back to meals and memories of my work trips to Tokyo and the surrounding area.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent food, and they have two private tatami booths you can reserve for a special occasion. We ate in one and the service and food were both incredible, although we found out that we all think sake is nasty... :D

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We used our GPS to find this restaurant. When we got there we were the only people there. It did get more customers later. I ordered the sushi. The sushi menu was limited. It was average. Not bad, not great. The service was excellent and the restaurant was attractive. My husband had steak and it was very tender and very tasty. I like to go to Japanese restaurants for the sushi. The sushi was not expensive, so that was a plus. My husband said he would like to return to try some of the varied menu items. . If you are looking for great sushi, you might want to try another restaurant.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have been here several times over the last few years and we just love this place. The location is unique and there are so few good restaurants in the area that it make this an extra special find.

We were looking for a place on the north side of Evansville to eat one weekend night and we stumbled across this restaurant. We have loved it every since and enjoy it every time we are in town. The atmosphere is great. You can sit in a stall like area where you remove your shoes and it's almost like sitting on the floor or you can pay homage to old bones and sit at a traditional table. They also have a large banquet room, perfect for private parties. They always seem to be busy but the staff all work well together in giving excellent service.

This time we shared the Spicy Tuna Roll and the Crunchy Spicy Tuna Roll. As always, both were made with the freshest ingredients and were absolutely delicious! My husband then had the scallops with vegetables and I had the Shrimp and vegetable tempura. We topped it off with a white wine and a red wine. It was all very good and we are already looking forward to our next trip to Evansville so we can eat here again. My only regret is that they aren't open on Sunday :?)