“Ok”

Cork 'n Cleaver
Ranked #37 of 407 Restaurants in Evansville
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An Evansville restaurant for over 30 years, the Cork 'n Cleaver serves steaks and seafood with an award winning salad bar. Full bar service and wine list available. Dinner served every night with lunch offered Monday through Friday.
PETERSBURG
“Ok”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant was recommended to us for a "romantic" meal. Yes, it was dimly lit, but to dark to read the menu; the table next to us was so load that we could hear everything they said (without trying to); the steak was ordered med rare and came med well had no flavor and was not as tender as it should have been. The salad bar and bread were great. The overall price was pretty good for what was ordered. Glad we tried it but will not be back.

Visited May 2013

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Writing this while my wife suffers from nausea/diarrhea (I.e., food poisoning)”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

To put it simply, our server was attentive, the atmosphere was okay, the salad bar was adequate although lackluster, and the entree was horrible and left my wife bloated afterwards and it agony this morning with nausea and diarrhea.
Suffice it to say we ate from the same salad bar with a selection of similar items and had the same vegetable (asparagus), but we differed in our choice of meat. I had the grilled salmon which had obviously been frozen in its past and tasted like flavored cardboard while my wife had the scallops. The first bitter bite gave her the warning something was wrong and she declined to finish the rest. I am glad she did else we would be in the hospital this morning

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank S B
Newburgh, Indiana
“Evansville classic for many years”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've eaten at the Cork many times over the years, and they never fail to please me. Whether you're looking for a business lunch or a romantic dinner, they always seem to rise to the occasion. The salad bar is legendary, and the best in the area in my opinion. Steaks, seafood, sandwiches - they have it all, and the service has always been good whenever I visit. It's one of my favorites, period.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank HappyAcres
Evansville, Indiana, United States
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was very disappointed in the quality of the food. The only thing positive I can say is they have a wonderful salad bar. I ordered 14oz Ribeye and it was the worst cut of meat I've had in 20 years. Dry, extremely tough and flavorless. My wife's Filet wasn't much better. I chose to leave the uneaten steak there as opposed to giving the left overs to my dog. The service has gotten much worse in the last few years also. Don't waste your time or money here.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank johnwmyers1
Southern Indiana
“Splat, Yum, Eww”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I think I've discovered why this place has such dim lighting. This was my fourth trip to Cork 'n Cleaver. In the past I had only been in the evening, but yesterday I was there for lunch with my husband to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We were seated quickly, and it took a little longer than it probably should have for our server to introduce herself, but we weren't in a hurry and it didn't matter too much (she also had a very large party to tend to).

We helped ourselves to the salad bar which was brimming with fresh, crisp, brightly colored fare. I noticed the salad bar attendant adding fresh food to the top of the containers rather than replacing the containers & putting the older items on top (proper rotation). One of the patrons in line said he loved this salad bar, that it was the best in town. A lady across the way from him wholeheartedly agreed.

When we returned to our table, our drinks and a basket of warm bread & soft butter were waiting. As I went to sit down, I noticed a lot of things splattered on the wall. I'm not quite sure what I was seeing, but it was disgusting. I don't mean that there was maybe a child sitting there who flung some thing against the wall, it appeared that there had been multiple splats over multiple days/weeks/months/years at varying heights, but it was very noticeable. One of the "splats" was a gnat; a different one than the one that had been swarming our bread.

The salad bar had a great variety of items including kidney & garbanzo beans, artichokes, whole mushrooms, etc. Everything was fresh and crisp. It was a very good salad.

The big party was sitting near us and everyone had been served except one lady. Her friends were jokingly asking her if she should have just ordered hers in a to go box. Meanwhile, the two ladies sitting behind me received their food but a steak was wrong (was over-cooked). The server took it back and had it remade. She brought it out again and said the kitchen deeply apologized saying they had just plated the wrong one. The second one was still over-cooked. She apologized again and I became very skeptical at the accuracy of our order.

Our pecan chicken with rice pilaf came and was very good. We really enjoyed it. The food was hot and tasty. We asked about dessert. One of the ladies in the big party ordered a creme brulee, but it was not offered to us as an option. We asked about a dessert (Mud Pie) and our server pointed toward the big party table so we could see what it was (we couldn't see). She was able to accurately explain what all it contained. We ordered it but it would have been enough for four people!

A visit to the restroom was also disappointing. It was colder in there than it was outside. In their defense, they had two candles burning on the sink counter, but the smell in there was repulsive. It wasn't due to a previous visitor, it was due to a sewage smell. I think pouring some water down the overflow drain may have helped the problem, but it was obvious they were aware of the issue because of the two scented candles.

I used to always say this was my favorite restaurant, but I think it will be a good long while before we come back...even though I still love the pecan chicken. Sadly disappointed.

• Visited December 2012