New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Excellent!!! Nice surprise.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Excellent Chinese cuisine is hard to find. I'm talking about real authentic Chinese that doesn't rely on the "all you can eat" buffet model for its business.

When I first read the outstanding reviews posted here I have to admit I was a bit skeptical but decided to try it anyway. I drove up to China Bistro for an early dinner to find that mine was one of two cars in the parking lot. Oh well, I decided to go in to check out the menu and get a feel for the space. To my delight, I walked into a tastefully decorated and serene restaurant. Soft lighting and nice Chinese music in the background. So I decided to give it a try.

My server, Ching, was delightful and was happy to accommodate my requests for a little modification of my main dish. I started with a bowl of hot and sour soup which was perfect; no overuse of cornstarch as has been my experience in other restaurants. For my entree I ordered a combination chicken, beef, and shrimp with mixed vegetables in a spicy brown sauce. It was perfectly prepared - not oily or loaded with MSG. The proteins were tasty and tender and the vegetables were fresh and crisp.

My only regret was that I was eating alone and would have enjoyed sampling a variety of the wonderful dishes I saw on the menu with other diners.

I was in Evansville on business. If I lived here, China Bistro would be a weekly outing for me.

By the way, if you are wondering about the unique name Ma T 888 China Bistro I was told that Ma and T referred to family owner names and 888 was good luck because the number 8 has no beginning or end (similar to the symbol for eternity). Pretty cool.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank fredreggie

“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere with linen tableclothes as other reviews described. I ordered the coconut chicken since I hadn't had it at a Chinese restaurant before & wanted to try something different. The presentation was wonderful with carrots cut in the shape of a butterfly for garnish. The chicken was ok; some of the edge pieces were dry but there was more than enough so I ate the middle section. Would try again, if I come to the area.

1 Thank Sarah W
Plainwell, Michigan
“Probably the Best Chinese Restaurant in Evansville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I don't usually ask the the person at the hotel desk for a restaurant recommendation, it just hasn't been very rewarding in the past, but this time he answered so strongly I felt like maybe he was on to something. The Question was "Is there a good Chinese restaurant near by", and without skipping a beat he told me "The Best Chinese Restaurant in Evansville" was just down the street. I am from Chicago, so I am thinking, "He said in Evansville" so not to get my exceptions too high.
Hey, I don't care where it is this was an excellent meal and the restaurant itself is beautiful overall a very nice dining experience. The menu has a good selection of popular items, but not one of those on and on menus. Clearly they make everything to order and are focused on quality preparation.
Check it out, you won't be disappointed no matter where you are from.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank PROMOT1
San Diego, California
“The Best Chinese Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our cousins from Evansville took us here and what a find! This is the best Chinese restaurant ever. The food is wonderful and the choices extensive. The service was excellent and we had a lovely chat with one of the young ladies from China.

We had sweet and sour chicken, cashew chicken, both steamed and fried rice and crab Rangoon for an appetizer. It was very, very good. The only downside is they have no caffeine-free tea, so we had other drinks. They have quite a wine list.

The atmosphere is wonderful and even the menus are just lovely. They have a dessert menu, but we had not left room for dessert. This is a "don't miss" stop for any visit to Evansville.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Art-Roxanne
Vidalia, Louisiana
“Wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful. It is the most beautiful casual dining restaurant I've ever seen. I'm not sure it could be considered as casual dining with the white cloth table cloths, porcelain crockery and glass water goblets. The lunch menu was fairly extensive. I tried the General Tso's Chicken which was excellent. The portions were huge. It's really enough for 3 or 4 meals. The prices were also very reasonable. I was quite impressed with this restaurant and can now see why it is rated #1 in the area. It's the total package.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank liane69

Been to Ma T 888 China Bistro? Share your experiences!