“Indian Yumm!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Reserve with OpenTable
Taj Mahal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 403 Restaurants in Evansville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: British-Indian cuisine. Owned by Dharminder Singh and Baljit Singh. The restaurant has been reviewed in the local newspaper The Courrier and Press at http://www.courierpress.com.
Evansville
“Indian Yumm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place introduced me to Indian food and made me fall in love with it! If ou've never had Indian and hesitant, go during their lunch buffett so you can try different foods. Warning, some foods are spicy and alot are vegeterian, but its yummy!

Visited May 2013

Flyover Country, United States
“Fine Lunch Buffet Choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Fairly typical lunch buffet; you cn eat as much as you like for under $10. There were 4 chicken entrees, but no lamb. Most of the food appeared fresh enough, but a few offerings seemed a bit tired. I would have appreciated a little more spice profile; even the chicken with chili peppers was mild. However, I understand that the Indian community in Evansville is not large, and the dishes are toned down to appeal to American tastes. Service was OK; they kept the water glasses full and cleared plates. I would like to try dinner at Taj Mahal sometime to see if they are more imaginative when cooking individual dishes. You can undoubtedly find better Indian food elsewhere (though maybe not i the Evansville area), but for a lunch buffet is was more than adequate and a reasonable value.

• Visited February 2013
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reasonable good Indian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good variety on the buffet, little bland on taste, Chai could be stronger. Great desert!
Should have more chutney on the table. Only two choices of desert

Nashville, Tennessee
“Authentic, high quality, fast service, polite staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Taj Mahal is both my husband and my favorite restaurant within 100 mile radius of Evansville. If you like Indian food you will NOT be disappointed. My manager, who is Indian, introduced the restaurant to us and said it's the best Indian he has tasted in the U.S.

Out of the many times we have been there we always get fast service and the food is consistently good. The waiters are not from the U.S. so you may have trouble understanding their accents as it is hard to get advice on dishes.

What is nice is if you are unsure of what to get, they have a lunch buffet so you can sample many dishes at once.

Taj is reasonably priced. Most dishes range between $9-$13 for dinner. By the end our bill is around $30 including tip.

Servers always ask you your preferred spice level on your dish 1-6. My husband loves spice and he orders 6. If you want a little kick choose 3. Choose 1-2 if you prefer low spice. The dish will still be extremely flavorful.
Make sure you get the garlic or onion naan (Indian bread) as an appetizer (2.99-3.99)
Atmosphere is clean, simple decor. Classy looking.
Casual dress would be acceptable. I've shown up in scrubs from work as well as business casual.
Great selection of beer and wine.
They also accommodated my nut allergy.
When you leave, rather than after-dinner mints, they have a minty spice blend in a bowl that you scoop out with a spoon to cleanse your palette and refresh your breath - unique. (oh, it's the little things right?)

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Evansville, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“TERRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband, son and I arrived at 11am for the lunch buffet. The service was TERRIBLE! The food was not fresh... nothing special worth raving about. We had seen that reviews on this restaurant were pretty good.. Don't be FOOLED by old reviews. The staff is rude the $8.99 price for the buffet is for adults, however when I received the bill we were charged the adult price for our 9 year old .(the server argued insisted he was 10 years old and therefor an adult price).... My husband and I had ice tea my son had the Lassi (which he didn't drink) =drink charges $9.00. We were treated rudely and over charged for our average buffet meal.
we left there feeling disgusted and disappointed! WILL NEVER RETURN TO THE TAJ MAHAL AGAIN!!!! This establishment is no longer an accredited member of the BBB due to complaints on products and service..

• Visited July 2012