“Nice place to spend a few hours”

Mesker Park Zoo & Botanic Garden
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I wish TA would allow half stars in their ratings; I'd give it a 3 1/2. We went to Evansville for a convention we attend every summer, and wanted to see what this zoo was like. We are members of the Louisville zoo and I was really pleased that we were able to get in free. Didn't expect much, but I was really surprised. Thought it would be quite a bit smaller than it was.
Pros:
I really liked how pretty the zoo is, it's park-like, with lots of trees and shade, a pond in the middle with pedal boats. I wanted to ride in the boats but a big group of kids were there when we walked by it.

I liked that many of the exhibits you can get up close to.

There were many animals I've never seen before, some I'd never even heard of.

The rainforest part was really cool. Really loved seeing the jaguar up close, he was right by the glass.

Cons:
Some of the exhibits were empty.

If you can't get around easily you may have a tough time with the hills.

Not many "basic" zoo animals (elephants, giraffes, bears - unless I just missed them)

Also, there is a small play area, but it's mostly ropes and nets, with one slide. No true playground. My toddler was upset by that.

Overall, we liked it and thought it was worth stopping by to spend a few hours. Especially if you can get in free!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"jaguar"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We were able to visit the zoo today. I was weary because of some of the reviews on the zoo. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It was a wonderful size an had many beautiful animals to see and learn about. The staff was very informative about each exhibit. My children had a blast!!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Terrible, most exhibits were empty, a lot of walking just to see empty cages and exhibits. Big waste of time and money.

1  Thank uagirl633
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been many times over the last 40 years or so. I don't know why I keep going back. They don't have very much to see. They just put in the botanic garden and rainforest in the last few years and that's the best part.

1  Thank ma0471