“good price, good location”
Review of Super 8 Elkhart

Super 8 Elkhart
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed here on our way to New York and it was right off the interstate. The room was clean, the staff were nice, and the price was right. They have indoor hallways, but the vending machine wasn't working.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 5, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed August 1, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here for business purposes, and the bed was very comfortable, the room A/C certainly kept it cool. :) The wifi was strong. It was clean enough for me.. though there was a light that didn't work, and a stain on the comforter.. (which I tossed on the floor anyway). There was a Micro/fridge which I really appreciated. Large flat screen TV and a good channel line up.

The check in was smooth and the desk clerk was very personable and pleasant.

I skipped breakfast, and chose to go to Cracker Barrel instead.

I have stayed at hotels for the double the price and received the same service.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 137. It was a first floor room, with no room next to it.. and right next to a exit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I wanted to spend 4 days in Shipshewana (Amish country--big flea market and auction), but discovered very quickly that the price difference was SIGNIFICANT--it was $40 more per night MORE at Shipshewana. So, being the frugal person that I am, I chose Elkhart over Shipshewana, and I traveled the 24 or so miles back and forth each day, enjoying the country scenery as I rode along. The downside was that the one way trip took about 35-40 minutes, and the gas consumed. However, I consider it still a far better deal at $40 a night cheaper--which comes out to $160 difference. The closer you get to Shipshewana, the more caution you must have in spotting and passing the horse drawn buggies of the Amish.

The hotel was fairly quiet. I was at the end of the hall near the exit, and I heard the exit door and room doors slam a few times, but it didn't bother me too much.

The breakfast was pretty much the usual for a Super 8--not bad. I must tell you, though, that if they have round looking things in the refrig that look like sugar cookies--they aren't. I spied them and thought they looked pretty good, and thought a refrigerated sugar cookie wood be a nice dessert.........but it turned out they were perfectly formed round fried scrambled eggs--you are supposed to put them in the microwave to heat them up. Once I figured it out, it was pretty tasty.

My only problem was that during my first night the floor lamp light went out. I discovered that the top portion of the wall socket was dead; the bottom portion, which had the refrig plugged into it worked ok. I told the front desk about it; it was put on the list of things for the fix it guy to fix. I just happened to have an extension cord with me (I travel with it and a small clip on lamp which I sometimes need for extra light while using my lap top computer), and plugged in the floor lamp using a good socket from the other side of the room.

I found the internet connections (WiFi) to kind of fade out--I would have to reconnect sometimes.

However, over all, I found it to be a fairly good hotel,

Room Tip: I assume that a weekend would have more rooms occupied. I was there during the week (Mon.-Fri), thu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2014

So I stayed here on my way home from Chicago. It was late at night and some of the other hotels were already booked. It was clean, bed comfortable and hot water showers. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel even though it was included. There is a local diner next door that has great food and reasonable prices.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The Toilet wouldn't flush, some of the sheets had holes, the yogurt at the breakfast was warm and the water was so soft it made the tub slick. Never staying here again. It is really cheap for good reason, and not worth the price at that. You are better off staying anywhere else.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family