“a great value!”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“a great value!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Good value for the money. The room was clean, sheets smelled fresh,
the TV worked fine, there was nice furniture that accommodated my laptop
and working needs. The shower & bathroom was very clean and everything
worked well. The coffee in the morning was great with the yogurt and continental
breakfast that was served. If you're on a budget and don't want to spend
a lot, this place is where you;d want to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank john b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lawrenceburg, Ky
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The room smelled of sewer and cigarette smoke. The air freshner they had in the room just made it worse. The air conditioner did not work efficiently. You could hear kids making noise in the room next to us. I was sent a survey of my stay and I told them of the above problems. Hotel owner wrote and asked why I didn't report the problems. Look at the other complaints under reviews and you'll see why. I wrote him back and told him it wasn't my place to report problems with the rooms. His cleaning staff should have reported the smells and the air conditioners should be checked on a daily basis to make sure they are working properly. Management should be more on top of what's going on in his hotel. I asked him if he would keep a room like that in his home and have a guest come and stay in it. I don't think so. So guess what. The email came back undelivered because his mailbox is full! Gee, I wonder why. Management in this hotel is not concerned about the quality of the rooms only the money. The $64.00 I paid was not worth it. So do yourself a favor. Stay somewhere else!

VERY UNHAPPY TRAVELER

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue H

Travelers are raving about these Elkhart hotels

Heartland Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I think the owner's children lived in the motel. Each night they would be running and jumping late into the evening. When we finally complained, they quieted down instantly. However, noise would resume in a bit necessitating another call. Noise would also start early in the morning. We had long tiring days of work facing us, and this made it very difficult. The breakfast room was neat and tidy and well-maintained. If you stay here, consider a second floor room towards either end of the motel, or do not wait to complain about noise if it starts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
G M, Manager at Super 8 Elkhart, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
When this guest stayed at our hotel, we had group of other workers staying at our hotel. Out of that group, there were 3 rooms which had 1 or 2 kids in them. When the rooms are accomodated by parents with kids, there is only so much we can do by letting the parents know, that there are other guests in our hotel which are getting disturbed because of your kids, we would appreciate if you can calm them down. This is the real situation behind this guest's comment about noise.
Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've had good luck with Super 8's and bad luck. Well, this is the last time I will try my luck. We arrived at 11:30pm...with reservations I might add...and the gentleman checking me in said there was a problem and he just gave my room away to the previous couple with a baby. So, he called his wife to clean the room and he told me she was angry at him cause she had to clean the room. So, we wait 15 minutes and then get into a DIRTY room-the sheets were clean-but the floor, bathroom, and surfaces of everything looked icky! The room smelled very unpleasant but since we were exhausted we stayed and slept. Breakfast was awful. The juice was fermented, there were only 2 choices for cereal, a very small selection of pastries, coffee was gone, bananas were gone, and yogurt. Don't stay unless you are falling asleep at the wheel and there are no other options.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KatherineNoel
G M, Manager at Super 8 Elkhart, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
It looks like honesty does not work now a days and it is not good to let people know about what was happening. I would have been easier for me to cover up and lie to that guest. I did not give guest's room away. In guest's, reservation there was a comment about late arrival. We had one, guest who checked out, 15 minutes prior to this guest's arrival. Keeping that in mind and out of generosity, I rented a room to a couple who walked in with an infant baby. I thought, it would take us 20 minutes to clean a room and it will be clean before the guest arrives. Unfortunately, the guest arrived right after I check the couple in with an infant. So, now I was in a situation and with honesty I let the guest know about what just happened and it would take additional 10 minutes, before they can get to the room because it was getting cleaned. This was our last room. I personally went and vacuumed the room, did dusting and my wife changed all linens and terry and cleaned the bathroom. In no way this room can be dirty or have a bad smell, when management personally goes and cleans the room. You know how it is, when one thing is not right we make other things look bad to butter it up. If this guest was given the same room upon arrival, I don’t think they would have left any bad comments, but since they had to wait 10 minutes, which gives them an opportunity to make it more unreasonable. For breakfast, It is Super 8 Standard to serve two types of cereal and a variety of oatmeal choices, which we serve during our breakfast, as far as small selection of pastries, we offer Eggo Waffle, Cinnamon Rolls and 4 different types of pastries, Yogurt, Toast, Coffee, Tea, Orange Juice and Apple Juice and all toppings to go with it. If this is not good enough, I don't know what more they sould expect.
Tower City, pa
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When we arrived it looked like an alright hotel. Nothing fancy but hey if the room is clean that is all that matters. I had booked the room before we got there. Not a bad deal, so I thought. Got the to hotel, checked in. We were on the second floor...no rooms on the ground floor...ok with a bad foot and a dog to handle we had to manage the stairs. We drove around and was going to the other side when we were stopped suddenly by no outlet...there were men "hanging out" by a small retaining wall of some sort....ok now we feel very insecure. There were all kinds of work veheciles or construction so this now has turned into a place where people use this as a homestead type facility...we went on up to our room where when we opened the door it felt like walking into a sauna. Now keep in mind the temp was already almost 100 outside. We went in, the dog is panting like crazy, turned on the one room air conditioner and sat down to sweat. After about an hour of the room still being hotter than hell, I called the front desk to ask for a fan, which they were super about and brought up right away....we had arrived at the hotel around 10ish at night, by the time it cooled off enough where we could go to sleep it was around 12:30 a.m.....needless to say the sleeping was skimpish that night. We missed the continental breakfast since we slept later than we wanted to due to the late night start on sleeping...now up and at em to get ready to leave...went to check out...no one at front desk....multiple room keys laying on the counter so I left mine there too. Now I never like to have negative without positive...the room was clean and the beds were alright comfortable. That was our experience with this hotel.

Room Tip: If you book there and it is summer...have them turn on the air before you get there. I think that t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Micah W
G M, Manager at Super 8 Elkhart, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
The guest reserved their room with no indication that they had a pet or they wanted a room on 1st floor. The room was given to the guest out of ordinary situation, to accommodate guest and not to send them to another hotel. When the hotel is running at 100% occupancy, of course the parking lot is going to be full. The people that the guest is talking about are construction and farm workers who stay at the property from Monday to Thursday and checkout on Friday. This is a SUPER 8, not a homestead type facility or a mom and pop motel. If the guest watches or reads news, they would know that State of Indiana is suffering from severe heat this summer. We have no control over Mother Nature and because of that rooms do take time to cool down. Regarding continental breakfast, we do have certain hours for breakfast, which is 6:00 am to 9:00am. We also offer wake-up call service for free. There is also an Alarm Clock in the room which can be set. I think communication is the key here.
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed for one night. Kind of a lousey area but we thought it will be fine, its just one night. The girl at the front desk let me know that working girls stayed there. Are you kidding? Telling me hookers are available? What? But the worst part was the next day. Luckily i wake up early because we didnt get our wake up call. The power went out about 0730ish. I went to the desk and the lady(i later found out she was the wife of the owner) was like, "yeah, i dunno. Sucks. Hope it comes on soon." She then layed her head back on the counter. We couldnt get hot water so we didnt get to bath. We couldnt get ice for our coolers. We couldnt see. We couldnt iron our clothes. My wife could use her hair straightener. There wa no light in the breakfast area. Our room was hot and stuffy and we had no way of opening the window. The place is pretty cheap but not worth it. Pay a little more and go stay at a better hotel. Keep away from this joint. You will regret staying here. Plus the hooker ladies were just sitting around the lobby in the morning when we were leaving. The place smelled like a fisherman's wharf. Never again!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank johncaveda
G M, Manager at Super 8 Elkhart, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
This guest wrote this reivew because he could not get any refund from Expedia, Super 8 Corporate or hotel direct. When there is a natural disaster, property has no control over it. Expedia, Super 8 Corporate or any other on-line travel agency will not offer discounts or refund, when there is a natural disaster. When he could not get any money from anywhere, he started bad mouthing the hotel, because this is all he could do. Which hotel Front desk clerk will let you know that working girls are available when, the hotel is run by owners? WORKING GIRL TOPIC IS A MADE UP STORY. WE DO NOT TOLERATE ANY TYPE OF BUSINESS, WHICH WILL HURT THE HOTEL. For your info, we had a fire in our area. Fire department shut down power within few blocks of fire. If you read this guest's review, he is dis-appointed because fire chief shut down power to save a family from disaster. If you read his complaints carefully, they are all realted to power being shut down. He started his complaint at front desk that he did not get his wakeup call. He was at front desk to complain about power at 7:34 am and his wakeup call was set to 7:45am. Do you think he would need a wake up call? The power was out for 50 minutes. His second complaint was, he could not take shower. Our hot water is heated by a gas boiler, it has no impact, if the power is on or off. Just to let the readers know that he did take a shower and left the property around 10:00am. In short, all complaints are realted to power outage. The complaints that are not related to power are made up stories. There is always two sides to a story. Hope all readers understand and look at this response in a positive manner.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stay at this place all the time .same room, like the truck parking wifi strong, good price, young lady works the desk in a sweet heart ....hotels are all the same ,it's the people that make the hotel

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business