“Firm beds in a tired hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairway Inn

Fairway Inn
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Firm beds in a tired hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The good news is the beds are firm and the rooms safe in this worn hotel that needs renovation. We also liked the lobby with two rocking chairs and two gliders. The continental breakfast. advertised as just bagels and coffee also offered cinnamon raisin and white bread for toasting, as well as hot cocoa for the kids. One other big plus: lots of stations on the cable TV.

But . . . our window screen was ripped, and exactly half of the screens on the first-floor windows were missing. Fortunately the missing screens did not mean someone could enter the rooms, as the sliding windows are opposite the screen side, but it doesn't give you a comfortable feeling seeing so many window screens gone. The side and back doors are locked throughout the day, so your card key is the only way in. That's good, but our bathroom had missing caulking and some mold close to the tub. The friendly office staff do the best they can with a tired hotel that seems in need of more maintenance and updating in the rooms. But you will like the walking distance to Perkins and Cracker Barrel restaurants. And you will get a good night's sleep for almost half the price of the four fancier hotels that surround the Fairway. Great location just off exit 92 of the Indiana toll road.

Room Tip: Choose the second floor if you want window screens and the option to open windows for fresh air.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank IndyJim49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed there for one night. Room was clean. Needed an extra pillow, no problem. Needed handicap accessible, which we received. Apparently that just means a handle bar at the toilet and a little higher toilet seat. Would have been nice if the bed was a bit higher as well. Otherwise, the continental breakfast of bagels, toast, coffee, butter and jelly was acceptable, and the seating in the breakfast area was comfortable. I would stay there again.
My biggest annoyance was the room heater being a bit loud when it would kick on.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OhioKat51
Poplar Grove, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I checked in late at night. I needed pet friendly room for the night and Staybridge Inn was way more than I needed. They told me Fairway was pet friendly. I checked in and was not informed the phone system was down. (calling up to complain they told me its been down for 2 months!!)

My puppy pulled all kinds of crap out from under the bed. I don't want to know how long it was there or what it was!

I was not given the WiFi password and since there was no phone service I had to get dressed, walk to the front desk, get the code, only to find the code didn't work so I had to go back to the front desk! The 3rd shift man came back to my room with me to connect my laptop. That was a little uncomfortable being I was traveling alone with a 12 lb puppy.

In the morning I went to get breakfast from their "breakfast area" there was 3 kinds of bread a few bagels and coffee. No butter, jelly, cream cheese, or anything... PASS

I went to take a shower and the shower head was moldy, and the bathmat was torn up... PASS. When I complained while checking out and said I really wanted to take a shower before my drive, I felt gross. I was told "I will have maintenance check on it later today" well that didn't do me any good, they could have offered me another room for 15 mins or so!! NOTHING.

Called to complain the next day and I was told no manager for a week. I said what if you have a problem, she said I don't know. Called back a week later and the manager says to me I am mistaken about a female checking me in, as if that mattered and proceeded to fight with me about it and told me she was there but training a male so I am wrong. Didn't address the reason for my complaint!! finally said she would tell the owner and he might call me.

Spend the extra money and stay ANYWHERE else!!!

After 2 weeks of trying to reach the owner. I did get a refund for my stay... but I would have been better off spending more money and staying in a clean hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. there are places that are the same price range that have to be better!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MysticalDreams

Travelers are raving about these Elkhart hotels

Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here in November and had a coupon from a roadside rest in Ohio. The price was $44.95 and they honored the coupon. The hotel was nice, nothing special and it had bagles and toast and coffee for breakfast which was nice. It was a football weekend and not crowed at all. Would and will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BigMalPa
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Spent the night here after 6 hours of driving. The hotel was clean. It was 49.00 for the night the rooms were very clean. Mitch was a very nice front desk person. They had wi fi and cable. The room had a safe. Very nice place. There is a Perkins right next to the hotel so if you want breakfast you can casually walk there. I didnt wake up on time to enjoy the free breakfast in the morning. This hotel offers free breakfast

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank soyeg
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

the chair was extremly dirty,the internet did not work and the offering of breakfast was several choices of bread & coffee.but you did have cracker barrel/perkins within very close walking distance.

Room Tip: all rooms are about the same all right close to interstate but limited road noise
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank christopher g
Monee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We were yelled at by an employee who was intoxicated while we were talking w other couples outside of the bldg. Also, employees let themselves into our hotel room while we were occupying the room. Also was told because of our bad experience they would give us a free room but lied to us and charged us.

Room Tip: look for coupons
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple