“Comfortable night, just minor complaints”

Comfort Suites North
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed one night on our way from the northeast to Chicago. We arrived late (close to midnight) and were very quickly checked in and ready to get to our room. The room was the typical Comfort Suites layout and we had no complaints. The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean. Only the bathroom showed some wear with chips in the paint and a bit of rust on the door frame. The wireless network gave us no problems. On the down side, the water pressure in the shower was pretty weak in the morning. And the breakfast was a little disappointing. I know not to expect a gourmet hot meal, but the sausage patties were really poor, clearly a frozen product microwaved but not quite enough, and the scrambled eggs were cold. I also thought it was kind of strange that there were housekeeping members going through the hotel before 9 AM knocking on everyone's doors yelling "housekeeping". Didn't they know who was already checked out or not so they could leave others alone?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jtdriver
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites North

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I love staying at Comfort Suites branch and have been to several different locations of theirs. Sadly, this was my least favorite thus far of Comfort suites i've been a guest at. It was a bit out of date, and our door was open upon coming to it (also rather difficult to get to shut). The staff were extremely friendly though. Very comfortable and clean bed. Didn't get a chance to try out the pool sadly, but it looked nice from passing.

Pros:
-Easy to find
-Away from main roads, quiet area.
-Friendly staff
-Comfortable bed
-Decent breakfast
-Many restaurants nearby for dining. Some even walking distance.

Cons:
-Shower struggled to drain
-Out of date rooms, old carpets.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor room. 1st and 2nd floor are exposed to the breakfast area which can get loud.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is located right off the toll road and easy to get to. There are many hotels along this areas and we found the hotel to be quite empty. We made our reservations weeks in advance and our specific room requirments were met along with the price quoted us. We only stayed one night. The room was a very good size and was very clean, but we were disapointed with the morning breakfast. In fact all we had was coffee and orange juice. We ate at a Restaurant that was just down the street. The only other complained that we had was that the manager on duty was not overly friendly. We did not use the pool or the exercise machines.

Room Tip: We asked for the 3rd floor away from the elevator and any machines. This room was quiet.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

To Begin my issues started a couple day before we arrived. I checked my online reservation just to make sure I had the correct dates, in which I noticed we had missed our first date, so I added the date and it said Monday rate is $71 ok no biggie, go to finish the reservation and it changed all my dates to $71 instead of the original $66, so I was upset on that. (Iam in the same business where rates change per day, but I keep a customers rate the same if its a previous reservation, but if they add on its what ever the going rate for that day is, is what is charged for that day)
So I emailed choice hotels.

Upon check in, I had to be buzzed into the hotel? Really a Comfort Suites? Never seen that before. It was still early night, but ok whatever. Explained to the front desk lady what happened with our reservation, and she said sorry, and really I knew that was all she could do. Did make a note saying that choice sets the rates. So we checked in did what we needed.

The next day, Choice emails and says they dont control what the hotel does, I need to handle it at hotel level. Well hotel said, Choice Handles it, so I email choice back and pretty much get a nothing we can do good luck. (Mind you we stay at choice hotels about 30 times a year, for our business which runs march to October) so Im getting more and more upset with Choice Hotels. We did what we needed to do in Elkhart, so back to the hotel to jump in the pool and hot tub. No pool towels, which is no biggie we asked for some. But the hot tub was nasty, had hair in it, ants walking all around the edge, Come on.

We usually stay at the Comfort Suites in South Bend but chose this one because it is central to what we were doing. Over all hotel was ok.

Cons:
Elevator shook alot, elevator certificate expired in 08
Room was serviced once (by our choice) but when they did only made one bed, of the two
Turned the fridge off (we had food in it)
Pool area as dirty, ants and bugs roaming around
Notes posted everywhere like you are a little kid on what you can and cannot do
Water pressure is not good. and Off White Towels? I felt dirty lol
Charged extra then what my reservation said

Pros
Ruth the front desk manager was AWESOME!!!!
Breakfast was good
WI-FI worked
It served its purpose

The hotel is in need of a remodel soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Made last minute reservation to catch some sleep on the drive home Thanksgiving weekend. Checked in late, the staff was friendly, the room large and clean. It was reasonably priced, and had your typical complementary breakfast. It was all they said it was to be. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel in the past but on a recent trip the night clerk was extremely rude, lacking in basic customer service skills. The parking lot was strewn with trash and empty bottles. On my return trip, I had a very pleasant stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife & I had the pleasure of staying at this excellent hotel on July 22nd and August 5th, 2012 on our round trip to Long Island,NY from Iowa.
We couldn't think of any ammenity lacking lacking at our stay from a king size bed to a complementary hot breakfast that included eggs, sausage and waffles.
A coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and iron with board were included in the room.
As I had a choice privileges card and booked in advance, total cost including tax was $79.97 per stay.
We are traveling by car to Pennsylvannia shortly and have pre-booked at this location for the round trip.

Room Tip: Recommend the top floor to avoid heavy footed children above; although we have not had a bad experi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple