“Down to Earth, Friendly, and Comfortable”

Pete's Simonton Lake Tavern
Ranked #90 of 191 Restaurants in Elkhart
Cuisines: American
Description: Beer, Wine and Liquor, Live Music, Karaoke, Lunch, Dinner, Daily Specials. Located (0.8) mile North of Indiana Toll Road I-80/90, Exit #92 Pete's Simonton Lake Tavern is one of the Oldest family-owned Restaurants in Elkhart, Indiana!
Indiana
“Down to Earth, Friendly, and Comfortable”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Have you ever walked into a place that you know is where the locals go, it's packed, and as soon as the door closes behind you, every one looks at you? Well, that's what happened when we visited Pete's on a busy Friday night.

The place was packed, and there's not a Hostess Stand, so we made our way to the bar. Waitresses were flying past, not saying anything, then the owner comes out from behind the bar and made us feel like family.

We waited by the bar for a table to empty out, and a couple of barstools opened in front, so we took them. I didn't realize that another couple were waiting for those seats until the gentlemen politely asked me to let him know when we were ready to get up so he and his wife could sit down....I felt terrible and offered to move since they were there first, but he said no worries and we all talked for a bit.

A few minutes passed and a table opened up, and all was well. Some guests at a nearby table chatted with us and gave us their thoughts on the menu. They had been coming to Pete's every Friday for 25 years.....and they were right....the chicken is the best you'll ever have.

They also have all you can eat fish on Fridays....so much food you'll do good to get through the first serving, and it was very good.

Beer is ice cold, the waitress was excellent, and the owner checked on us again a few more times during our stay.

If you're like me, when you travel, you want to try new places. We could have went to any number of Chain Restaurant's in the area, but I'm glad we tried Pete's. Most excellent.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank FritzP

Nashville, Tennessee
“Not sure what the locals see in this place.”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I was optimistic when I arrived. Parking lot looked busy but was not jammed. Went inside and found several occupied tables with guests looking like they were having a good time. Seemed promising.

A few waitresses were running about, but no one acknowledged me until I went up to the bar. My business associate and I each ordered a beer and then made our way to an outside table. 30-minutes later our beers were gone and even with two waitresses working the patio, which wasn't crowded, no one had waited on us or even spoken to us! At this point I called one over.  It was clear that it was time to take some action or risk going hungry!

The waitress was very friendly and apologized, but heck we had already been here going on 45-minutes. We did order food and followed the recommendation for the braised chicken. Supposed to be a house specialty. I guess after all the wait I was expecting a bit more. It was okay. Less greasy then KFC, but less flavorful too. The salad was good but very standard. The sweet potato fries were good, but weren't good enough to make up for all the other misses.

Sorry but I just can't give a great score for this one.

3 Thank Darryl D
South Bend, Indiana
“Very friendly place with great food!”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

It had been a long time since we had good BROASTED chicken and it was wonderful! Wife had fish and a salad and loved both. Our waitress was also fantastic making us feel like we were her only customer. We highly recommend.

• Visited March 2011