“Few changes could make this much better....”

Staybridge Suites Elkhart North
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this from the hotel room our day of departure. This hotel may be the best in the area, but I say that because our other family members are staying at the Belvedere, and the blow dryer just fell out of the wall. My mother in law had already checked in, so when my wife and I arrived, we just walked right in. The front desk workers didn't even bother standing up from the back room to greet us. Went to the back patio to hang out with the family, which was fun. My two year old got to play in the pool the night before and enjoyed it, but the pool area is definitely nothing to brag about. The beds were comfy and the room nice. We really enjoyed the free bag of popcorn as a late snack.
This morning, I was drying off from my shower, and realized my towel was dirty from the people before me. Looked like ear wax in two large patches. DISGUSTING. Got the next towel, SAME THING. I have never seen this at a pretty nice hotel. The third towel was fine, which I gave to my wife. I called the front desk to let them know, and they said "sorry, we can bring you more." It was sincere, but bringing more towels once you dry off doesn't solve any problems. I am surprised that they just allowed the conversation to end at that point, without doing anything to prevent me from writing a not good review. We went to breakfast after, and there were no tables for a larger group to eat together. Breakfast was disappointing. Styrofoam plates to eat canned fruit cocktail off of just
is just not appealing. Although the hotel was sold out, they only had one of the two buffets filled with food.
My family comes to the area regularly for various tournaments. Also, we generally like IH properties. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Elkhart North, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear FoxPartyOfThree,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is great to know our staff was able to address your concerns during your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the condition of our facilities and the service you received. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed one night at this Staybridge on a roadtrip to the midwest with our 3 year old. The property looked newer and updated inside and out. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful from start to finish. We were pleasantly surprised with the complimentary drinks and mini-buffet served at 5:30. I wasn't thrilled with the main dish, which was hot dogs, but there were soem decent salad makings, and we had gone to a restaurant for dinner, so we just enjoyed the drinks and socialing. It wasn't very warm out, but there was a nice outdoor sitting area with a basketball court, which we enjoyed regardless. The indoor pool water was a bit cold, but the area was clean and the furniture was well kept, towels were supplied.
We stayed in the "Studio Suite", which was very nice, complete with a kitchen. However, it was a bit smaller than I expected. In many "suite" hotels there is a half wall separating the room with the bed from the room with the sofa bed. I would have preferred that for our 3 year old. She had a harder time getting to sleep because she didn't have her own "area". I suppose I should have known since we were getting the "studio" that it would be close quarters, but I don't necessarily think it should be called a suite if it's just one room for the king bed and sofa bed.
At check-in, we were told to let them know if there wasn't a blanket in the closet for the sofabed. It was as if they knew there would be no blanket, as if they don't stock them in every room. The bathroom had a nice shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, but only two towels for three people. We didn't realize this until we were getting ready to shower. A towel was brought right to us when we called.
The breakfast was pretty good. Waffle maker, scrambled eggs (a bit salty), meat, english muffins, toast, danish, yogurt, fresh and canned fruit.
When we went down to the pool for our morning swim, the pool area wasn't in the best shape. No clean towels available and many wet towels laying all around. The restroom was also in need of attention. We went right to the front desk. No one came for quite a while, so we went to the breakfast area and found employees in the kitchen. They said several people had called in that morning and they were short staffed, but within minutes brought clean towels to the pool for us and then cleaned up the wet towels.
The only other thing I noticed was some hair and debris behind the door in the bathroom that housekeeping apparently missed. It wasn't pleasant to look at, but it certainly didn't spoil our overall impression of this hotel and it's amazing staff. We plan to stay here again and have already recommended it to others.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, which was nice. I would suspect there may be noise from the indoor pool...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed at Staybridge in Elkhart, IN. Huge suite with a kitchenette (including ice maker, pots and pans, plates and utensils). Very clean, very nice. Pool, movie theater, movie library, gym, pool and basketball court. It was snowing and cold, so didn't take advantage of the outside amenities, but the staff were all very friendly and courteous. Had a very comfortable, great nights sleep. There are a bunch of things within walking distance like Steak & Shake, 7-11, a few other fast food places. Right off the highway and easy to get to. The breakfast wasn't amazing, but can't really complain either. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All suites are the same I believe. I stayed on the back of the building, very quiet and comfortable...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Heinrichcj
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while our RV was being repaired and we could not have chosen a better hotel to stay in. The staff was very friendly from check in to checkout. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The kitchen in the room was wonderful completely stocked . The bed was amazingly comfortable and the room was very quiet. Only noise we heard was when somone checked in the room above us. Even then it was minor footsteps not enough to bother us. We traveled with our dog and they accepted her very well. Only wish is that other pet owners had cleaned up after their pet. Lots of pet waste in the grass areas. The full hot breakfast bar was incredible. I dont think you could think of anything else to eat for breakfast that they did not have. We did not participate in the afternoon food and drinks that they provided but it sounded wonderful. Having seen the other hotel options in Elkhart I wouldnt ever stay anywhere else but here. So glad I made our reservations here!

Room Tip: We had a corner king suite on the second floor and it was great. If you are sensitive to sound then...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KathyE413
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We are staying in a suite as we have convenience of a small kitchen. Hot Breakfast daily with a meal and two drinks on Tuesday Wednesday an Thursday, nice to see salads with them. Rooms are a good size, although can hear the neighbouring noises. There is free laundry facilities but only one of the washers were working, but not busy so that was OK. In a busy time would be annoying. Light in microwave is still not working. We asked for it it be checked by several people but no action has happened. Only little things though.

Room Tip: Shop around for price
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The front desk clerk was very friendly and upgraded me to a suite. I work in Elkhart several times a year and this is the best hotel that I have found in the area. The location is good, close to turnpike and restaurants. The room was spacious and modern with quiet heating. Breakfast area was large and they had a good selection of food both hot and cold. The only reason I could not rate this hotel excellent was because of some housekeeping issues. There were two queen beds in the room and the sheets on one of the beds was quite dirty - hair, etc. The walls were badly scuffed and one of the bathroom walls had sticky stuff that looked like soda or something. My only other complaint was the small pillows. I will give the Staybridge another try on my next trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here twice within an week on my trip to Jersey and back. EASY off and on the highway. Clean room (King studio suite) ample room for my 10 yr old son and myself. Offered hamburgers with all the fixin's for Manager's reception. Great selection and tasty breakfast. Very quiet and peaceful hotel. Gas, food, and major deptmartments stores (walmart, target) nearby. They were offering a limited time special for a King suite for only 5000pts. In other words a free room with dinner and breakfast - location was halfway to jersey! This was a no brainer. First time I stayed here and I would stay again even for full price. Halfway to Jersey, great breakfast, location, and most importantly clean thruout the hotel - interior and exterior.
1 Complaint but the rest of the hotel kept it at a 5 rating. Pillows..... Why the small pillows?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family