“Yes it needs some work”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Elkhart
“Yes it needs some work”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Yes this hotel needs some work but I enjoyed my short stay. The pool is under repair and the manager explained that it was under repair. There were signs everywhere. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean a little outdated but Clean. Breakfast was standard fair. The only real complaint was the shower controls. It was very hard to find a comfortable temp . It was either cold or scalding. There was no in between. I can't say enough about the staff. Although there are things that need to be done they are being worked on. I would love to go back in a year and see it. Thank you for a delightful stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Connie H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your most recent comments! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes we have been doing improvements and indeed we still have a ways to go. We have an exceptional staff, and we are a great value! We will keep working on everything and when you return on your next visit we hope you are pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stay in Elkhart each time I drive between NY and Chicago. I price several hotels in town including this Quality Inn. I find this motel along with Sleep Inn, and Microtel Inn are the three nicer motels with decent rates. I've been staying here since its last make-over which was quite a few years ago. I find some other reviewers of this motel to be kind of harsh, its not bad. Yes, there are some areas that can be worked on. Hallways need attention, and some of the exterior doors (access doors to the hallways from parking lot) could use some adjustments or replacing. These areas can leave a poor impression on new visitors. The rooms are fine. Clean and well kept, I have not come across any issues while staying at this motel. Breakfast area is nice, large & clean with tables. Newspapers are available for guests. The motel is located is an area with several other hotels, and restaurants. Its located near the exit / entrance to I-80. What you get vs. price, this motel is a good deal.

Room Tip: No Elevator at this motel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to make your most recent comments. We pride ourselves on being a great value with great hospitality! I am glad you agree. We have just recently had all of our hallway carpets professionally cleaned, and I am in hopes that you will notice a difference upon your next visit. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This property is undergoing renovations (?), but I'm not sure that they will be done.

Overall, the stay was OK. But if I were returning to the area, I'd look for something else. My room had been partially renovated. There was new carpet and new granite tile in the bath. BUT apparently they also replaced the toilet - the door to the bath wouldn't clear it to close and the "rub" was so severe, the inner panel of the door had been pulled loose. All it needed was a small notch cut in the door. There were no covers on the bath light fixtures and the tile trim had never been done. Caulking wasn't done around the edges. Sadly, there was actually plaster dust on the bath floor behind the door. The picture you should get is that it was"renovated," but the workmen left without finishing the job.

The pool was also closed for "renovations." I inquired when it might reopen. The date was uncertain. When I pressed the desk clerk about how long it had been closed, the answer seemed to be more than 2 years. I can only assume that it's the same workmen.

Beyond that, it was OK Other than plaster dust, the room was clean. Breakfast was fine with some hot items (biscuits with sausage & gravy). Bed was comfortable. Linen was fine. It was quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
thank you so much for your recent stay and trip advisor comments. I have followed up on all of your concerns and we are working on correcting all your issues. While we are working on renovations, there is no excuse for plaster dust on the floor and some of the other issues that you explained. We are still working on the pool to find the problems that are causing it to not function properly, I am in hopes that you will return and the next time you are here, your stay will be a better one.
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed at this Inn many times. Kim M. took care of our room and she was the best. I always a nice quiet stay here. I enjoy the large rooms and having plenty of space a quiet surroundings. The are a bunch of places to eat nearby. My favorite is Callahans for breakfast. Callahans is just across the toll road from the Quality Inn and open 24 hours. As of 05/02/13 the pool is closed for repair.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Connie H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are happy that you noticed our improvements and Kim is appreciative of the compliment. We are working very hard to continue to improve the hotel, and we pride ourselves on our amazing staff! We look forward to your return to the hotel and each time hope you notice more improvements.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've stayed in many diffirent hotels across the world but this is definitely in my bottom 10 list. I stayed here with my two boys for a hockey tournament for two nights and was thouroghly disgusted.
The place looks and reeks of the chronic decay of a cheap 1970's hotel. The remnant of cigarette smoke and mold emanating from the 40 year old carpet pierces your nostrils the moment you walk in. The pool was out of order and the key access "security" door was broken so anyone could just walk into the hotel.
Our room was also disgusting. There was a gummy feel to the carpet which forced us to walk around the room with our shoes on. There was water damage and water stains on the ceiling, walls and window treatments. The bathroom had only one towel and looked like someone already used the other 2 (before we checked in!). Shower smelled of old urine when turned on. Only one outlet in the room was functional so we had to take turns charging our phones and electronics.
There is a continental breakfast offered but we did not try it for I was not confident it would be sanitary. We ate at the pancake house across the street which was good.
Mild positives: The morning staff was friendly and the linens seemed clean and free of vermin.
We could only stay for two nights before switching to another hotel.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are so many other good and marginal quality hotels in the area that there is no excuse to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Connie H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and your comments. As the new General Manager at the Quality Inn in Elkhart, the staff and myself are striving everyday to improve the quality of the guests stay. We have made great strides in the improvements to the hotel and expect more in the future. We need guests comments to help us in these improvements. We hope that someday you will return to the area and see how hard we are working on these issues. Have safe travels in your future and we thank you and hope to see you again.

Travelers are raving about these Elkhart hotels

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stay 250+ nights per year in hotels for work. This hotel is in the BOTTOM 10%. I will stay here if I must, but not because its my first choice. My room seemed scroungy and the shower had very little pressure. Bypass this one if you can.

• Stayed March 2013
Connie H, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your input. We appreciate every response that we receive so that we know where we need to improve. We do have a great staff, we are clean and friendly and a great value. We do hope that you will return to the hotel in your travels and notice an improvement the next time you are here.
Corry, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had to complete a quick road trip for personal business. Stayed over at the Quality Inn in Elkhart, IN and after staying at several different Quality Inns this past year or so, I am convinced that it is time for Chioce Hotel Group to spend some money and update this group of hotels or close them. It is disappointing to see ragged carpet, shower heads that provide a trickle of water, room furniture that is frayed and for some reason we had two refrigerators in the room, one was unplugged. This will be our last stay in a Quality Inn until we hear that Choice Group is going to do something about the quality of their hotels. On a positive note: the front desk clerk was great! Friendly, helpful and overall pleasant, this helped salvage the overall rating.

Room Tip: Not recommended due to age of facility. There are better quality hotels on the market at similar pr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
thank you so much for your input. We are currently under new management and feel we are making great strides in improving our hotel. We have a friendly staff, we are very clean, and are a great value. We are hoping to improve everyday. we have recently painted, and are updated other things. Hopefully the next time you return to our hotel you will notice an improvement. Thank you again, without comments from our guests, we cannot know where we need improvement.