“First time back since rebrand to Horseshoe”

Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Its been over a year since I've found time to visit the Casino across the River from Louisville. It was formerly branded as Ceasars and now is branded as Horseshoe (business strategy apparently). I read many of the reviews here before traveling and was a bit disturbed. After my visit, I have to disagree with negative reviews.

I was there during a busy weekend because R Travis was performing but I never had trouble finding a table. The casino is very well laid out with a large variety of slot machines including many new types I'd never seen before. I'm not much of a slots player but I played a bit. Folks have complained these slots are too tight but I saw many winners and got ahead myself before shamelessly giving it all back.

I prefer table games and they had many new types. I usually play Carribean Stud or Let It Ride (I hate blackjack, sorry) but I've seen the Texas Holdem version and Crazy 4 Poker before. Now they added Mississippi Stud which I'd never seen before. Interesting game, different strategy. I played quite a bit. If you dont like cigarette smoke, you may have issues but other than that the atmosphere was fun and not too noisy.

As for the rooms, they havent changed much and were nearly immaculate. The hotel can be a bit pricey but you are paying for the convenience. I saw complaints about noise from other rooms, but I've not really experienced that either. I did hear some noises in the hallway but no real problems. The TV doesnt have an abundance of channels but you really arent here for the room entertainment. I saw complaints about hot water, but really it takes less than 2 minutes to warm up to more than hot enough. My only complaint about the rooms was the wired access internet instead of wireless and you had to pay an extra $12 a day to use it. Thats just sad in todays terms.

I saw complaints about the long walk from Hotel or parking to the Casino. Get over it folks. ITs all indoors, carpeted and even has a little shuttle for half the distance or the airport like conveyor walk for about a 1/3 of it. If that walk gets you winded, then you are already too out of shape to go have fun. This facility has always been very nicely laid out and very clean.

I love the buffet restaurant. Ok, the lines can get long especially at some hours but I've never had a bad meal there. I ate at Legends for the first time and their sandwiches are pricey but really really good. Atmosphere entertaining. Again, folks complain about the prices but heck, name an isolated place with cheap restaurant food? We love the pricey steak house, formerly Portico now Jack Binions. Talk about pricey but those Kobe steaks are to die for. Everything in Jacks is wonderful and very attentive service.

I saw complaints about comps but this place has always had the best automated comp system and you can increase your ability to maintain and accumulate the comps by getting Harrahs Total Rewards Visa. They use to hand out buffet tickets free at hotel checkin but now you play for 30 minutes and the comp machines will print you a free ticket.

So, overal, even though I lost at the tables I"m not a sore sport. I've always like this place and its still high on my list of favorite places to visit. Its not Vegas, but its not a long plane flight from anything close to the Ohio River either.

Give it a shot if you are in the area. Let yourself splurge and have some fun.

Reviewed March 15, 2009

Hate to complain about a comp room, but there was dirty underware & socks left in the bathroom. Had a room on the tenth floor by the noisy ice-machine. Drunks beating on the doors all night. Children (or the drunks) running the hallways.

Reviewed March 8, 2009

I had reserved this hotel a few months ago, as we were going to travel thru the Louisville area and I had a comp room for the date we were traveling. We like the Harrah's properties, but when I read the past few reviews we were nervous, to say the least to stay here. I am glad we were "brave" and came. The hotel desk was extremely friendly and the the rooms were comfortable and clean. It definately is not a 5 star hotel, but was fine for a night of rest and relaxation. We did try the casino....tight like all the casinos in the midwest during the economic downturn, but we got a free buffet that we used the next morning for lunch. There were only a few people in line in front of us and the food was good tasting and appropriate temperature.
We would stop again, hopefully the casinos in the area start to loosen up or they will lose a lot of their customers soon.

1  Thank Judie777
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I have been to this casino in the past when it was Caesars. Let me say that although I do not expect perfection in all things this last trip was absolutely the worst when it came to service both in the hotel and the casino. We ordered room service for breakfast and it hadn't arrived after 2 hours. I had to cancel that order because they told me it had even been started and would probably be another 45 minutes !
The casino wasn't much better. We had to almost beg to get a drink while playing.
At one point, after gambling for a total of 6 hours, I had been offered service for a drink only 2 times. The room we had was, on the other hand, clean and comfortable.
I agree with the others ................... bring back the service we had when it was Caesars.
By the way everyone, the reason I was given for the large service lag is because the buffet (where room service to the hotel comes from) is badly understaffed and so busy because of the free buffet promotion going on. The buffet is another topic that should be addressed.

Reviewed February 21, 2009

We booked our reservation by phone and was promised a Premiere Suite for a good price but when we checked in we were told that they can't reserve those rooms and were put into a plain King room for the same price. Their attitude was that the reservations desk is not in this hotel and they have no control over what they do and they didn't offer us anything in exchange...discount or anything. All they could say was sorry. We usually go to Belterra, where we are treated as royalty and if you book a room, you get that room.

As for the casino, they totally remodeled it for the worst. You can't find any of the machines anymore, they are all mixed in together for $.25/$.05/$.01. You have to walk the entire casino to find the machine you want. The service here is horrible as well. They took away all the coke machines so you have to either go to the bar to get a soda or find a waitress (good luck with that).

As for the room, the shower has zero water pressure and the sink doesn't drain. The room was about 90 degrees when we walked in and it took about 6 hours for it to cool down. There is a brown blanket on the bottom of the bed...but wait....it's not a blanket, just for show!! And the room is not sound proof. Could hear neighbors talking and watching TV all night long. And they just put in a bar and the frig is totally stocked so if you want to put something in it for yourself, you have to ask for a frig from the desk. Also, the vending machines, a soda is $2.50!! And if you want a soda out of the bar in the room, $2.00 for a can!! WOW

Will definitely go to Belterra next time! Would highly recommend them!!

Reviewed February 16, 2009

Now that they give you a free buffet when you gamble for a half hour the lines at the buffet are terrible at best. The buffet is terrible and to tell you the truth the resturant Legends is pretty bad as well. Beer on the casino is $3.50 buy the time you tip beer money can go pretty fast. The slot machines are real money eaters, they hardly let you play at all. The rooms are fine even though they never give you what you request. the rooms seem fairly sound proof. All in all they could bring back a little bit of the hospitality that they once had. Smoke is terrible on the casino and the smell is pretty bad in the rooms as well. They did put on a nice dinner for Valentines day for diamond members.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My wife and I have stayed many times, at Horseshoe Southern Indiana. Actually, we come down almost twice a month for the night.
We go through our Casino Host, and everything is all taken care of, room comps, reservations, etc.. even a meal for two at Legends.. I couldnt ask for a better time.
The rooms are great, comfortable, great views, well, if you get high enough in the hotel, lol..
Ive made Horseshoe Southern Indiana, my main place to go to for weekend getaways.. winning at the casino, is just extra to all the things they give us. I no longer go to any of the other casinos around Indiana. while they are still nice, no place can beat Horseshoe Southern Indiana for excellence.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Comfort Inn Louisville
#55 of 98 in Louisville
Fairgrounds
Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Airport

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!