“Half good.Half bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Half good.Half bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

For truck drivers (checking in hotel for weekend) they offer no shuttle service. The GM personally called me with a condescending attitude to tell me its a liability!!! How is it not a liability when they load a golf car full of people from hotel to casino & speed thru the building??? So we had to carry all our luggage etc...from truck lot to hotel. It's not like we can pull a 70ft 18wheeler thru valet. Also encountered a rude hotel staff member. They do have some great staff though. Had a ok time considering all the bad stuff.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank truckdrivrforammo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
Georgia Mountains
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Upon arriving after dark at the hotel/casino, it was very difficult to find where to check in at the hotel. The Ohio River and the casino are on one side of the highway and the hotel is on the other side of the highway, connected by a covered walkway (very long). After arriving at the hotel/parking garage building, we had no idea where to check in. We stopped at what we thought might be the front lobby and were told that was the Valet, and the hotel lobby was on the top floor of the parking garage?l.?.?. How Odd! So we drove into, up and around until we got to the top deck outside and were confronted with two doors about 200 feet apart. Which one?? Of course, I went in the wrong one and had to walk the 200 feet to the next one, then around a corner and another corner and finally found the front desk. After getting my key, went back to the car and back down into the covered part (snow was forecasted) and parked near an elevator. The elevators in the parking garage are not the same numbers as the hotel. We had to go up from there to somewhere close to the lobby part, then take a different elevator to the room floor. While doing this, I was nearly run over by a large electric golf cart (totally noise free) that was running between the hotel and the casino since the distance is totally too far to walk if you're over 35.

As far as the hotel itself, the front desk personnel were helpful and friendly, the room was clean. The bathroom was separated into two areas - one with a door for the toilet area, and the other part for the shower/tub and vanity. The makeup mirror was excellent. Toiletries and coffee service were good. The on-tv checkout was not working, as were the computers when we checked out so I could not examine my bill until it was emailed to me. (It was correct)
All in all, it was a very confusing place, and I probably will not stay there again.

Green Features: They ask you to leave your toiletries (used or unused) to recycle for distribution in poorer countries. Also to not have your sheets/towels changed every day to save on soap/water. Good ideas, although I think the toiletries should be used for shelters, etc here in our own country first.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tunicamom
louisville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel is a little out of the way but really only 15 minutes from downtown Louisville. You are on the Ohio river and you can get a river view. The rooms are large and decorated with a nice decor. The beds are nice and you have a number of pillows. The bathroom is large and has a makeup mirror if you need it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nikib1964
New Albany, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have stayed numerous times, most recently 10-04. We have had rooms all over the hotel and have found all rooms to be CLEAN and nice. The beds are very COMFORTABLE we sleep well. The higher rooms have a great view of the river. The casino is a good walk from the hotel - that is a good thing, we all need to walk more it is good for you- but they provide a shuttle. The staff is great and friendly. I only have one small negative thing to say about this property that is the shower pressure in some of the rooms is terrible. The water trickles out as such it takes 3x as long go shower. This would be my only complaint and as I said a minor one. Yes I will stay again, I will be there on 10-18.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank R A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have stayed here several times. It may be a 3.5-4 hour drive, but it is a nice place to getaway. Through the player's card program my room is comped. I have sometimes been charged a $10 early check-in fee. But this and last time I was not. The room was clean and good sized. Bathroom is large, clean and nice amenities. There was no safe in the room. Every other casino/hotel I have stayed has a room safe. Distance to casino is a very long walk. They do have a golf cart shuttle that cuts done on the walk considerably. Dinner at the Legends restaurant was poor. I will make a separate review of it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tim266
Hurricane, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay for the hard core gambler. Not much to do around the area for families but they do have a nice spa and the pool is indoor. Overall a nice place to visit and gamble. The rooms were standard and clean.

• Stayed October 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had an enjoyable, problem free two-night stay at this hotel-casino property. The Horseshoe brand replaced (about 2008) the original property name of Caesars-Indiana.

The property has evolved since my first visit in 2002. It is showing its age in some respects, but overall, the hotel and entertainment experience seems to be better than ever. I saw positive improvements in the number and types of restaurants and in the increase in smoke-free rooms and floors.

We were very impressed immediately upon arrival with the helpfulness of front desk and security people in getting us temporary use (complimentary) of a wheelchair. Our room was clean, quiet, and afforded good conditions for restful sleeping.

We were also impressed with the helpfulness and friendliness of the casino staff. (My casino experience at Horseshoe is reviewed separately under “things to do” in Elizabeth).

Overall, Horseshoe provides great value for the money. Our nightly charge at Horseshoe was the lowest of any place we stayed on our recent ten-day trip to Kentucky and Indiana. Moreover, the moderate rate became even lower by the use of my “player’s card,” which saved me about $20/night over the rack rate.

There exists a relatively long walk from the hotel to the restaurant-casino areas. (This situation arises from the need to have the hotel above the low-lying Ohio River floodplain). I actually enjoy the walk and look forward to the activity. For those preferring less walking, there is frequent shuttle service providing complimentary transportation from hotel to casino area.

I noticed an improvement in the shop and restaurant areas of the resort. Since my last visit they have added a Jack Binion’s steakhouse, an Asian restaurant, and a Graeter’s ice cream parlor. There was no operating buffet as the previous Paula Deen site had recently closed and the area was being remodeled for a new operation. (This was no loss to me as I avoid buffets whenever possible).

We had three dining experiences during our visit. We went to Legends for dinner the first night. It was better than I remembered from previous visits. Just had spicy chicken wings, tossed salad, and a beer. Later I stopped by Graeter’s for an ice cream sundae. Delicious and very generous serving. Third experience was at Jack Binion’s on our last night. This experience (quite good) is discussed separately as a restaurant review.

Our total experience at the resort was good and well above average. We look forward to another stay on our next trip back to the Kentucky-Indiana area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColonelDoctorDennis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Central Business District
Comfort Inn Louisville
#51 of 95 in Louisville
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Louisville Downtown

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!