“Depends on what you are looking for...”

Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Driving back from TN my husband and I chose to take a slight detour to visit this casino for the night

1 Made reservation via phone rep on line didn't know much about the hotel etc

2 location is in the middle of nowhere, which is fine as the hotel has many amenities but we had to pass thru a seemingly seedy area to get there

3 parking wasn't clear ended up parking in the casino lot instead of the hotel lot which was a hike to get to check in, they have a valley we opted not to use

4 Room was clean, TV was bigger than what we had at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, toiletries etc were average but the room was nice and modern view overlooking the fall foliage was beautiful

5 Carol over in their members club was awesome, we each got a free night stay for signing up and because we are newly married she gave us a voucher for their sports bar to eat

6 Legends sports bar had great food, the Kentucky Hot entree was amazing, our waiter Paul was attentive and funny and was personable

7 Casino was on a boat, enjoyed the slots and the ability to order drinks from the slot machine, drinks were reasonably priced as well, my tall Vodka Tonic was the same price as short

8 Room service was nice however they didn't have a wine/champagne list and it closed at 12am, which to me was a bit annoying... We ordered a bottle of Cab@ $25, and then got an appetizer sampler and a shrimp cocktail the food was gross, the chicken tenders looked huge, but there was barely any chicken all breading which was overcooked and burnt tasting and dry, the mozzarella sticks were cold, the onion rings were good but small in size the shrimp cocktail was horrendous.... They offered ability to order breakfast on a tag you placed on the door, but after that, we were not going to.

Checkout was easy, we we on the 10th floor and water pressure was good, we left after 10 am ad all the little shops were closed we wanted to pick up something for or dog watcher the only suite open had a small selection of crap.

We didn't see any shows or visit the spa as we came late but doubt there would be any on a Sunday anyways... Overall, would stay again and might use the vouchers given for a free stay, but might not due to nothing to do, was expecting more for the price paid on a Sunday night.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 22, 2012

we came to the casino to eat at the paula deen buffet and while it wasnt expensive ( we had a coupon for 5.00 off) only 14.99 the food wasnt worth more than that. Most of it was fried and the choices really wasnt that varied. Having been at many casino buffets this o ne was about the worst. It looked old. We read about lines but this night there werent any. we walked around the casino and it was small and the slots were nothing special. Everything about this casino was old except the pay out where there was none..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank breeze1der
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I remember driving pass the casino grounds taking my daughter to camp in Laconia. The entire complex glowed like a sun on the horizon. I had never been there until this past week. I was even a little apprehensive because of some negative reviews. I’m not sure where those people stayed, but it definitely wasn’t here. I can be very demanding in both service and presentation due to working in both hotel service, and culinary service, and high-end retail.

The grounds and facility were beautifully groomed and immaculate. There were no signs of peeling wallpaper, dirty tables, or debris on the ground. Our room was large with a nice view. The bathroom is where you can see decay and age in most hotels, but ours was primo. There was also a makeup mirror, which is a plus. The bed was comfortable and supplied with feather pillows, another plus.

The casino is located on a four-deck paddle wheeler boat for different types of play. The boat is docked and does not cruise the river. There is one deck for non-smoking play only. The slots were very favorable. We went on a mid-week day, and over 51,000 was won on slot machines alone.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I am a non-coffee drinker and had tea delivered to my room at no-charge. We enjoyed shopping at the various shops. We indulged in their excellent pool and hot tub. We noted they had a fitness center, and an outdoor fitness path with a lovely view, but failed to use it. They also have an excellent nearby golf course, Chariot’s Run, that we planned to use, but ran out of time.

I did partake in their newest amenity, the spa. It offers massages, facials, wraps, pedicures and manicures, plus wedding services. You can also get some of the same services in your room if you prefer.

Since it was a gorgeous fall day, we decided to follow the local winery tour. There are four nearby wineries nearby. We visited Turtle Run and Best, which are well worth the drive too.

We topped off our visit by dining at Jack Binnion’s Steak House, which was very nice. My husband and I have been to several five star restaurants, so we have high expectations. We were charmed by our waiter, Michael and the lighted menus. Dinner was delicious and served in a reasonably prompt fashion. I went with the 16 ounce sirloin with shrimp while my husband went with the classic lobster and steak. The meat was perfectly prepared. Our drinks were well mixed, but no ice to water them down. Crème Brulee for dessert proved very satisfying. No complains about anything, which I am sorry to say is rare for me.

The following morning, we ordered room service, which was fast, friendly, and equally tasty.
Even though Horseshoe Casino is out in the middle of nowhere, we are already planning our next visit. I recommend you plan yours. They feature on the weekends, a number of events and bands.

Room Tip: I stayed on the sixth floor in a non-smoking room, which featured a nice view and no noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morgan W
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The room was fine, but there is no safe in the rooms - just the suites - so I took the SDBox in the lobby, a pain.

Daily cleaning was great. A/c & heat were fine. The lighting was fine - eco low lumen light output.

Non-smoking rules are not followed so expect the smell.

It's about 8 miles to New Albany IN and a little more to Louisville KY for eating/drinking/shopping options.

With the exception of the cafe in the lobby everything is a fair walk away. I really didn't mind this as it was a nice leg stretch from the casino to the hotel. They do have people-movers, rental scooters and a large "golfcart" shuttle from the lobby to the restaurants and the casino. Nonetheless, some may find the facility physically challenging.

The Casino is on 4 decks with deck one being the only non-smoking deck. You must take escalators past the other decks to get there. On the other decks smoking is allowed so it drifts out to the escalator area for the entire way down to deck one. There is one elevator and it does avoid most of the smoke but it is small & slow & slow & slow and I took it a few times but deferred to those who were physically unable to negotiate the escalators.

Paula Dean's Buffet is awful. There is just no way I could justify the price. The food is grossly overboiled, overfried, overbaked, oversweetened, oversalted... The roast beef is uncuttable, the chicken in the chicken and dumplings is unchewable, the collard greens are bitter, the brussels sprouts are mush, the spicy chicken lighter fare was dry & tough... I made several trips, took small portions and fully expected to eat all that I took from this or any buffet, but never have I ever left more on my plates for disposal than I did here. I wouldn't be surprised if what I sent back was more than the total I sent back in my last 100+ buffets. To add some balance, the seafood salad, the fried shrimp, the lighter fare fried green tomatoes were acceptable+. I actually enjoyed the mashed potatoes, the steamed/boiled cabbage, the lighter fare meatloaf and pecan pie. I never made it to Legends (due to their schedule) nor to the Steakhouse, which looked great.

All in, would I go back? No. I went for five nights and it was an all day drive for the WS of Poker circuit event, I have better choices than getting "trapped" in a smoky establishment 8 + miles from other dining options. Perhaps, once the Ohio no-smoking casinos take full flight Indiana will adjust.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DGJS
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel and property are very nice. The hotel is way off by itself so there aren't any surrounding restaurants or nightlife. The room was nicely furnished and clean. We stayed on the 5th floor and contrary to someone's review I just saw, we did not have a jacuzzi tub. Friendly and courteous staff in the hotel and casino. Free cookies available at the check in counter.

On the Saturday we visited, the casino was packed at 3:00 in the afternoon. Sunday morning we were able to play any machine we wanted.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times a year for the past 5 years. However, they have used the term eco-friendly as an excuse not to launder the linens and provide a new level of dirt and filth. We spent $100 on a new air cleaner, but that didn't help with the dirty linens. I would swear that our room had been used for a tryst among late departing guests or staff. We checked in @6:30 pm and were told it was too late for fresh linens. In order to get fresh linens every other day, it required many calls to the front desk (which I normally don't do) and a generous tip to the maid. The sheets and towels are borderline gray...use some bleach people! Both my husband and I left with respiratory AND SKIN infections. Unfortunately, it is close to relatives and my husband loves the poker room, but next time in addition to an air cleaner, I am taking my own sheets and pillows. The casino is fun, but on the dirty side, too. They could do with more cleaning around the machines as the place is busy 24/7. I was wondering when they do clean? Apparently, never. It's not like casinos where there is someone occasionally pushing in chairs, cleaning the litter and cigarette butts between the machines, etc. Only once was a cleaning attendant in the ladies room. The slot machines actually had layers of dirt on them and I went through all of my disinfectant wipes...something else they could provide if they aren't going to clean the place themselves at least give your customers something to work with. This is the problem when you have no competition to push you to higher standards.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bluebeachbunny
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very Good ..Very Clean Room..Plenty of Slots and Table Games..Excellent Dining at The Paula
Dean Buffet...You can order a drink through the slot machine which is really conveniant. Since our last visit we noticed a definite uptick in service...We were greeted at the valet area and the Bell service was outstanding..Check in easy, Room was Ready I was Happy..Would Recommend This Property.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaBdaddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Comfort Inn Louisville
Galt House Hotel
#30 of 98 in Louisville
Hampton Inn Corydon
#1 of 5 in Corydon

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!