“Very Good Time”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Forney
“Very Good Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

We stayed here on Sunday, Sept. 9. We're from Texas and were on our way to Detroit for a ballgame and on to Canada. Had a little difficulty finding the hotel.

Checkin went very smoothly. Very nice, they even took a card I needed to go out and mailed it themselves because hotel mail delivery was so slow.

We had a nice room, not much of a view, could see a little bit of the river. We slept comfortably. We really liked the casino, even won a little(we usually don't.)

Our room was booked thru Harrah's and was comped. We didn't have the buffet, but had a sandwich at one of the deli spots.

Even though this is a little out of the way, we would certainly go back.

• Liked — Excellent staff, gambling
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
joliet, illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

My wife and drove from Joliet, Illinois, a bit of a juant but once
we got there had a GREAT time. Won a little bit of money had a lot of fun and we were treated like "High Rollers" which we are not. Nothing compares to Las Vegas but for a couple days and no airport hassles it is a Great place. I just hope the change to Horseshoe doesn't change it too much.

• Liked — We had a great room, clean comfortable.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

Stayed 1 night (Saturday) to take my wife's 85 year old Aunt for her birthday. Kind of a last minute trip. We drove 3 hours. living in east central Illinois. This Hotel/Casino is in the middle of no where. You better come to gamble, because there isn't anything else to do.

LOBBY: Nothing spectacular. If you've been to Caesars in Las Vegas, don't expect this to be like that.

STAFF: Very friendly. They are taking your money so they are going to be friendly.

DINING: Expensive. Legends in nothing special. Basically a sports bar atmospher. The buffet wasn't bad. Paid $18 a person. It's you basic buffet.

ROOMS: OVERPRICED! We stayed on Saturday, so I expected to pay a little more. Price was $250 a night. Monday and Tuesday the rooms are $99.

Clean rooms. Nice, comfortable beds. It is your basic mid-upper scale hotel room. Paying $100 a night is a good price for this hotel. No complaints except for the price.

BATHROOM: Clean, everything worked. Nothing to complain about.

Biggest complaint by most is the walk to the casino. You do walk a bit, but they have staff in golf carts to assist hotel guest. Casino was larger than I thought it would be, 4 floors. You have to pay for any alcohol drinks.

I lived in Vegas and still visit. My opinion is you have to be a die hard gambler or one with a problem to visit this casino more than once. I am still loyal to the lights of Vegas...

OVERALL: If you must go here stay on a Monday or Tuesday; not on a weekend. No need to get there early in the morning and try to make the most of your time. Only thing to do is gamble. Don't book more than 1 night. One is enough!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tpiatt
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

Just got back form Caesars... What a GREAT place!! We were treated like royalty(trust me...we aren't) everywhere we went. Ate at Legends and buffet. Food was great and slots were in the mood to pay!! I will definately stay again in the near future!

• Liked — resturants, rooms are beautiful also
  • Disliked — walk to casino from the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Tinley Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

I just returned after my 3rd trip to Caesars Indiana. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly. Yes, the walk from the hotel to the casino is a bit of hike but, I personally didn't mind it. They do have the golf cart shuttle if you choose and i even noticed a staffer pushing an elderly patron in a wheelchair from the hotel to the casino. I happened to be staying when the buffet was offering their steak and lobster special. The steak was quite tasty (for a buffet) and cooked perfectly and the lobster well come on folks it is a buffet. The other selections were quite nice and there was quite a selection from pizza to asian dishes. I was glad to see the desserts gave you the option of a piece of cheesecake or just a sliver, which suited me just fine. The one thing that I can't get over in the my hotel room was the excellent water pressure in the shower. Anyone that has stayed in hotels with a drizzle of a shower would certainly appreciate this shower.
The only problem that has plagued me every trip is my cell phone reception. I'm not sure if it's my carrier or hills surround the hotel but, I have trouble with dropped calls every time. Which I guess is nice if you don't want be bothered. The pool was closed for maintenance this trip and I was disappointed that I wasn't aware of that fact until I was checking in and the temperatures were climbing to the 90s. Caesars makes a great get away for a couple of days. I've gone with a girlfriend, my husband and last time by myself and enjoyed my stay every time. I'm not a big gambler but find enough games to keep me entertained. There are few places that I return to frequently but, this will certainly be one.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lwleklinski
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2007

Stayed at the Hotel for a weekend , Hotel is ok although expensive. Did not care much for the casino seemed very tight.
The worse thing about this place is that the buffet is overpriced and service horrible. The waiter was rude and totally ignored us even for drink refills and we were seated near a Drink station which had bugs flying around even near our table. On top of that the buffet was 21.95 what a ripoff! We left the hotel to eat after that and finally was able to get a decent meal. We have been to other Casinos on the river and all are better than this one. Would not ever go back to this place!

Stayed May 2007
South Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

I’m rating Caesars Indiana 5, a rating I had previously reserved for Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The staff at Caesars Indiana makes up for being less opulent than big brother in Vegas with hometown warmth
and friendliness.

My wife and I visited Caesars Indiana for the first time May 18 – 20,
2007. A couple of days prior to departing I received an email from Tom Heffron, their Player Development Manager. It seemed like a standard casino host email saying, “I want to ensure that arrangements are made properly for your visit and offer any services you may be accustomed to.” I responded that our reservations seemed to be in order and asked if he had any suggestions for our trip. Mr. Heffron responded that he had a suite at Churchill Downs on Saturday and a golf tournament available on Sunday. I said we would be interested in going to Churchill Downs if he had room for a party of 4.

Hotel:
The lady at the check-in desk was friendly and professional. When I asked about the tickets/passes to Churchill, she called Tom and he said that he would have a limo waiting for us at 1:00 on Saturday. In
addition to that surprise, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded to a suite without asking for one. We met with a former employee and her husband on the 19th,and Caesars Indiana gave them a room adjoining our suite. The limo ride to the track and watching the races from the suite was a special treat. The suite at the hotel was spacious and well appointed. The 7 Stars basket was comparable with Caesars Palace, but with a down home theme (chips and candy bars in addition to the fruits). Some of the food and the drinks were replenished, something Caesars Palace doesn’t do. The mattress was almost too firm. The room was clean and neat with the exception of a crunchy looking wash cloth found behind the WC door. Since the hotel staff was so nice there, I snuck up on it with a used
towel and captured it for the maid rather than throwing a fit. The coffee service in the room was short on sugar, and when a request was
made of a housekeeper in the hall, a week’s supply appeared in the room.

Casino:
Complaints have been registered on this site that the casino is a mile away from the hotel. I would estimate the distance to be more like half a mile. There is shuttle service that will carry you about a third of that distance and the walk/ride is all indoors so it’s not like you have to walk a mile through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways. Personally, I can use the quarter mile or so walk, but if you need assistance, it would be advisable to bring your electric scooter.

We had poor luck with the lower limit slots (penny to dollar). The $5 and up slots seem looser. The video poker machines in the high limits room don’t have the correct pay scale, but there are 6/9 quarter to dollar machines located on the first floor. Caesars Indiana has a great set up for the high limits rooms. They are located on the top floor right as you come onto the boat. The Diamond
Lounge is also located on that floor. All of the isles in the casino are wider than found on most “riverboat” casinos, which makes the casino seem less crowded, even during peak hours.

Caesars Indiana is different from some of the other Harrah’s properties in that they provide cash back at the casino. Don’t forget
to check at the Total Rewards counter for your gas money on the way out!

Diamond Lounge:
Very nice. I rank the Caesars Indiana Diamond Lounge 3rd behind the Diamond Lounge at Paris and the Seven Stars Lounge at Caesars Palace.
When we visited the Diamond Lounge, they did not provide desserts, but had hearty food like ham, fruits, and macaroni and cheese. The lounge is large, but has a cozy “social club” type atmosphere.

Personnel:
The personnel at Caesars Indiana is what brings this riverboat up to the level of the big Vegas casinos. Everyone is friendly – everyone. Security is adequate and they seem to be overstaffed in the high limits area. I observed only one problem while visiting Caesars Indiana and there were half a dozen security officers “assisting” the patron by the time I realized someone was having a problem. The front desk is extremely helpful. My experience with the casino host there - top notch.

The hand pays were slower than average and Valet Service was slow, which is the only real complaint I have about any of the staff at Caesars Indiana. Unless you need bell service, park on the roof of the Hotel Parking Garage. The entrance to the hotel is right around the corner from the hotel elevators.

Dinning:
The Friday night seafood buffet was recommended to me and it was great. If you are there on a Friday evening, that’s the place to be. The food at Legends Bar and Grill was not particularly good. There is a 24 hour café there which would most likely be a better choice.

We did not make use of the pool or spa facilities, nor did we do any shopping there.

Advice:
If you are just staying at the casino, there is little to do there but gamble, golf, swim, and watch TV. If you fly into Louisville for a few days stay at Caesars Indiana, rent a car. There are numerous small museums, the horse track, and various other attractions in the area. If you have difficulty walking a quarter to half a mile, bring your electric scooter.

The people at Caesars Indiana made us feel genuinely welcomed and appreciated – an increasingly rare commodity. I’ll Be Back!

The Caste System:
Everyone can earn a comp based on play. It's easier to earn comps playing the machines than the table games. There are several kiosks where you can check the balance on your Total Rewards Card to see whether you have earned a comp. There are Diamond and 7 Stars lines for the casino cages, the Total Rewards counter, and at the dinning facilities. People who don't like that, might consider a little loyalty to a place in order to EARN preferential treatment.

• Liked — Excellent Staff
  • Disliked — Walk to Casino
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Geary7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Central Business District
Comfort Inn Louisville
#49 of 95 in Louisville
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Louisville Downtown

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!