“A Unique Crawfordsville Experience”
Review of Iron Gate Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed April 29, 2012

On our first visit to the Iron Gate, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary. The atmosphere is casual-formal, and our server made a point to tell us that diners were welcome to stay as long as they liked- indeed, we were encouraged to relax and slow down by being served one fresh course at a time, instead of being rushed through as we have been in most other restaurants. The wine was served expertly and our glasses were always refilled discreetly. The soup was excellent, the salad simple (with a great bleu-cheese dressing) and the main course was superb. I enjoyed the stuffed swordfish, with plenty of capers and bread stuffing to equalize the fish and tone it down- I have had too many swordfish steaks slapped on the plate, lonely and naked. This was like having swordfish in disguise. My wife had the prime rib with a horseradish sauce that set it off quite well. The owner and chef welcomed us personally and John (all in black as usual) gave us a tour of the historic accoutrements of the building and the outdoor bar/lounge area. The indoor bar is all atmosphere, with a cigar selection and an eclectic selection on the mirror.
The Iron Gate was more than we expected, and the decor (especially in the bar and lounge) is great. I look forward to a fine Scotch and cigar in that dim and historic room very soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2010

This is definitely not the restaurant to take a football team. I know the Iron Gate is trying to portray an upscale restaurant but it doesn't work. It is quaint, clean and good service but the tables are very small and the food is just ok.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

I had tried to write a review previously concerning my first visit to the restaurant.Loved it, good service and great food. The second time around was terrible. Valentine's day I had 7o'clock reservations for 6. We arrived about 10 minutes early as did about 10 other people . The hostess said our table must be set up in the back. She paraded us thru the restaurant and started towards the back .She stopped a server and was told there was no table for us and she left us standing in the way in front of everyone. The servers had to walk around us ,there's no where else in the whole place to stand because there are so many others without a seat .She finally ased us to sit down in some chairs that are facing the entire restauran;t 4 chairs 6 people. So 2 of the party went to get a drink from the bar but there was no bartender because he's attempting to find us a table. Not one server even made eye contact much less attempted to find out what was going on. My husband asked twice and then another person from our party asked for the manager after already waiting nearly 25 minutes on display. The hostess came and told us they were getting a table ready. The table ended up being a plastic one from outside with a table cloth ,placed right in the way of the servers .Then we had to ask for a server.When we finally got one she was mad because they threw us on her. She was rude the entire time.I even tried to buy dessert for a client of mine and she wouldn't even find out if they were ready and brought our bill. They were out of fresh fish,out of liquor for pina' coladas and couldn't find cold wine. None of us were offered an apology or a discount or any explanation.We were treated like a burden until I threw a fit on the way out. The hostess acted like she didn't know we we having that kind of trouble,blamed the waitress, defended herself ,took down my number and I've still never heard a word from the owners that she promised would be notified. It's too bad because the food was great but the service and attitudes of the staff will bring them down.

2  Thank mrsbent33
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Had I not witnessed it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

A birthday party had taken place in the restaurant; a fairly nice crowd and yay! Celebrations and good times.

The cake had been left SPECIFICALLY for the servers - a Thank You for their hard work and handling the party with smiles and glad tidings and ease.

Being servers, however, there's naturally little time to eat, so the cake was stashed toward the back of the bar. The waitress I spoke to about it was all smiles; pleased that someone had thought of them.

Four people came into the bar just as I was close to finishing my meal and proceeded to HELP THEMSELVES to the servers' cake. Upon questioning, I discovered that they were not employees, but friends of the owners who wanted cake. The owners (knowing FULL WELL who that cake was intended for) gave it to their drinking buddies instead.

The food was nothing to write home about, so I cannot say that I'm all that wildly excited to go there again anyway - but then, to take a treat right out from under the noses of the people who make your business run smoothly?

No. Just, no. Anyone who has EVER worked in the food industry (and there's quite a few of us) know that disloyalty and disrespect to the employees will soon see your business teetering. Employees - not the customers - are the lifeblood of a business.

Iron Gate clearly has no care for their staff - one of whom I witnessed leaving who was clearly DRUNK.

I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling through. The owners will greet you with smiles and gladhanding.

The employees will greet you with a smile and the thought of "God, I hope I don't get shafted again tonight."

2  Thank Silvarbelle
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Wonderful menu, well prepared food, particularly well presented. Go for the roasted pork loin! Nicest touch is that in the washroom there are real linen washcloths with which to wash and dry face and hands. After dinner you can linger at the table or go to the bar or lounge where there is normally live music on weekends. Altogether a delightful date restaurant.