“An "interesting" experience...”

Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Corydon
Indiana
“An "interesting" experience...”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After looking at several Corydon, Indiana websites, we chose Frederick's Cafe because the website boasted homemade breads and breakfast served all day. When we arrived, we found a typical small town restaurant with red and white checked vinyl tablecloths that were literally tacked to the table. We took the last table which was reserved with a handwritten sign for parties of 6 or larger. Since it was the last table and there were 5 of us, we felt safe taking that table. On this morning, there was one waitress who took orders, delivered food, and cleaned tables. I assumed this was unusual due to her rather panicked behavior.
The waitress literally shouted instructions to diners, tossed menus on tables, and more than once reminded us that she was on her own. When she came to take our orders, she actually said, 'Do you know what you want? I'll listen to the ones who can talk the fastest.' We quickly stated our orders and asked no questions.
By the time our food came, the owner appeared. He delivered our food and was quite friendly. He had an apologetic tone when he said he wasn't sure who had ordered what as he placed plates on the table.
My stepdad pointed out a sign on the wall that stated the restaurant enjoyed catering to well-behaved children but would not tolerate any kids running around or interfering with the dining experience of other diners and would be asked to leave. Although I understand their point of view, it seemed a bit harsh. Nonetheless, I reminded my 5 year old twins to keep it quiet. :)
The food was actually quite good. The eggs looked like any diner eggs but the biscuits, gravy, and breads were fantastic! None of the diners seemed shocked by the tone of the waitress so I almost felt like we had wandered into a New York luncheonette and just went with the flow.
Would I go back? Probably! :)

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank JSWeb

Florence, Kentucky
“Tasty home cooking”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My wife and I were hoping stop by Butts Drugs while visiting Corydon but it was closed. On driving around a little bit, we came across this place which was one of the few places open on a Sunday.

The breakfast and service were fantastic. Tasty biscuits which are available in limited supply, but we were lucky enough to get some. Even though it was pretty obvious we weren't locals, we were greeted just a nicely as they were.

I would love a chance to go back and try something else.

• Visited April 2012
Corydon, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good old fashion cooking”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Red checker table clothes on the table and food portions that are as old fashion as the cooking!! Great!

Visited February 2012
Brownsburg, Indiana, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like home cooking without doing it yourself, this is the place for you!”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I have been here many times, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and it is consistently good. The waitresses are friendly and take care of refills without asking. This is not a chain, the owners are in the kitchen and at the tables - their name is on the line and on the front of the building.

• Visited July 2011
Bluffton, Indiana, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Down home cooking at it's finest”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is cooking the way you would do it without the work. So sit back and enjoy the company and the best tasting food around. They serve breakfast and lunch. The breakfast is the best! Lunch is a very close second and you can't beat the price for the amount of food you get. The food is made fresh so you it is not fast food but well worth the wait.

• Visited July 2011