“Bedbugs-- Sleepers Beware!”
Review of Super 8 Corydon

Super 8 Corydon
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Corydon
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We had just finished an exhausting two days at Holiday World and were on our way home. We drove until we couldn't go any further and happened upon the Super 8 exit. We just wanted to put our 3 kids in a bed and get some much needed sleep ourselves. We collapsed into the beds.

Upon waking, the nightmare began. I noticed some blood stains on the sheets, and upon examination, I saw little creatures walking around the sheets. I also found a dead bug, surrounded by several blood spots. My immediate thougth was BEDBUGS, so I went online and confirmed the identification. These were NOT fleas or carpet beetles, but Blood-sucking BEDBUGS. They were about 4-5mm in length and transparent -- except those that were blood red. My 4 year-old daughter had several linear bites on her arm (classic pattern).

I should have taken pictures, but I just wanted to get out of there ASAP. Although I'm to Entomologist, I knew what I saw was bedbugs. We packed up quickly and got out of there. I told the front desk of my experience, and they comped the room -- not even flinching. They mumbled something about "Oh -- wow -- we'll have to look at that. What room was that?" but I could tell they were well aware. Since DDT is banned, I have not idea how they're going to rid the building of these pests.

We have taken steps to make sure our clothes and luggage were cleaned of the pests before entering our house, but I can't be sure we haven't transfered some. What a nightmare!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bjwhite3114

Reviewed June 4, 2008

What a nightmare!! Tired, road-weary, we stopped here for just a quick night's sleep. Demolition would be the only solution for this hotels' improvements. We were booked in a non-smoking room (it was completely smoke permeated) . That was nothing though after noticing the dead fleas on the unswept bathroom floor (wouldn't have minded so much if they had ALL been dead). Pet hair permeated the room, along with stained and worn out carpeting, stained bed sheets, a large soft spot on our second floor room (I was afraid I would end up on the ground floor if I wasn't careful getting around at night in the dark). Attempting to remedy the pet/smoke/mold/old building smell, I kicked on the A/C....that was a mistake.....the smell of mold and dust became unbearable....tried to open the window, but there was no screen (probably a good thing or I might have jumped) Towels had hair on them.....I decided that I would not even shower here (sometimes it is more comfortable to remain in your own filth than to ad someone elses' as well). On the up side, the toilet was clean, as was the bathroom sink and the breakfast biscuits were good. It would have been an acceptable hotel for $20, not for over $60 that we paid.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank takinatrip_08
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I stayed here for the Kentucky Derby. The hotel is just off the highway so getting to Louisville was very easy and quick. There are a lot of fast food eateries and a couple chain restaurants very close to the hotel. There is also a Wal-Mart next to the hotel. All very convenient.

The room rate was very reasonable and I got a two bed non-smoking room without any problem. The free wireless internet worked great. The room was clean. A little small, but what I expected for a Super 8. The bathroom was simple, but clean. I did appreciate that they had a decent 6 way adjustable shower head. It probably cost about 10 bucks, but it was a lot better than what you usually get. The tub made some loud squeaks when I stepped in it, but that was just a slight annoyance.

Checking in and out was very easy and took almost no time. They have an elevator and luggage dollies that came in very handy. There wasn’t much parking, but I never had a problem finding a spot. The continental breakfast included toast, muffins, bagels, cereal, biscuits, gravy, fruit, juice, coffee, and milk. It wasn’t great, but very good as breakfast goes. There was limited seating, but not a big deal since it is not a huge hotel.

Overall, I think this is a very good Super 8. It’s not the Ritz, but for the price it was a great deal. No complaints.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The room was average. Clean, but a little small. watch out when using the bathroom. The toilets are installed within inches of the vanity. Any one of larger than average size will find they have to rest their arm on the vanity with using the toilet. We asked for another room, but were told all the roomsa are that way.

• Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We have stayed there twice, once in 2004 and once around Halloween of 2006. Yes, the managers family does live there, that is quite odd and maybe a bit uncouth! Where is that "Mystery Shopper" when you need them?

Management / Staff: Just plain odd goings on, in this department! Both times, several of us were going to visit some friends who lived about 20 miles further down I-64. In 2004 we were waiting in the lobby for the others in our party, chit-chatting and what not when the staff asked us to hold it down! You have to be kidding, right? They have their nerve, huh? We weren't that loud. :) Just as another reviewer said, the staff lives there. In 2006, we did the same thing but no one said for us to hush. The odd thing here is that one of the staff's kids, takes their (live-in) dog from their room, behind the counter and out of the front door for him to do his business . . . right in front of God and everybody! It gets better, then the dog (and boy) come back in. The dog goes behind the desk, stands up by putting his paws up on the counter, like he was waiting on the next customer. Comical as all get out but also unprofessional. Other than that, the staff were helpful, esp. in 2006.

Location: Convenient to I-64, WalMart, restaurants and so on. It is hard to see, turn into the Wal Mart parking lot (at the stop light) and it is behind and to the North side of the strip mall. Parking can be tight.

Rooms: Very clean, comfortable and well appointed for standard rooms. We paid about $55 per night for a King room. Not bad.

Otherness: The lobby and hallways both times had nasty odors. They must use a 100% bleach solution to clean the lobby with. It made your eyes water and head ache. We aksed to prop the main doors open to let fresh air, in. The motel's laundry was right behind the desk. Constant, hot, dryer lint smells went everywhere.

It was just an okay place. It would have gotten a 4 or 5 had it not been for the live in staff and the awful smells that were everywhere (less so in the rooms).

Overall: Typical mid priced stuff, just odd seeing Innkeepers at a mainstream place!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2006

We were totally impressed with this hotel!!
Everything from the cleanliness of the room to the friendly and helpful staff.
This is the first time we have stayed in a smoking room that you couldn't tell that it was ever smoked in.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis Indiana
Reviewed July 13, 2006

This hotel was very dirty. The staff was horrible. These people live here. We were kicked out of the lobby because it was there living room. Every area has an odor and not a good one. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. I would say to camp before staying here. And word to the wise do not eat the breakfast. They had a dirty crock pot w/ gravy in it. The flies were just making it there home. I still shake just thinking about it.~not worth 8 bucks!!

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
keepingallhappy, manager at Super 8 Corydon, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2007

The motel is not dirty, The crock pot is a new crock pot that people make a mess of regulary and is cleaned continuously . It is maintained as required by health and safty.There has never been problems with flies in this establishment. As far as management living here they do not. There was a employee paying to live here at the time, and performed on call services if a problem arose. She is no longer employeed or living here.The only time quest are asked to leave the dining area is when quest complain of noise or they have open alcohol containers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corydon
Comfort Inn Corydon
Hampton Inn Corydon
Hampton Inn Corydon
#1 of 5 in Corydon
Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Been to Super 8 Corydon? Share your experiences!