“Not impressed”

Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked a group for a local softball tourney at this hotel. We booked double bed rooms, but received king rooms and were told cots weren't available at that time. We did eventually receive a cot after begging. Not everyone on our team was so lucky. Half our families received breakfast vouchers, half did not. When we questioned it, we were told it was due to us using an outside booking agency, even though all rooms were booked exactly the same. Very dissatisfied with exterior rooms. Had we known we would not be on the inside of the hotel we would not have booked here for safety reasons. Room was ok. Not overly clean or dirty. Simply average. Dated. Pool was nice. It is summer though, so an outdoor pool would have been nice. Due to exterior rooms we will be booking a different hotel for our next tourney.

• Stayed June 2013
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your recent visit. I agree that the sales agent that you worked with should have informed you about the fact that our hotel does have exterior rooms. I apologize that you did not receive the room type that you booked, that enough additional cots were not available and that half the families with the tourney did not receive breakfast coupons. I do know that if we have ball teams that book a certain room type and it is not available that additional cots can be ordered in advance, if the Sales person at the hotel is notified. As for the breakfast coupons, it depends on how the sales contract is setup, but generally speaking all ball teams receive breakfast coupons. It appears that the lines of communication between our staff and the contact for your organization may have been insufficient. The hotel plays host to a large variety of sports organizations during the year and unfortunately we fell short in being able to provide your organization with the level of superior service that our hotel in known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Corbin, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked this "hotel" on priceline and used the "name your own price" feature for a 3 star with 7.5/10 approval rating and the Clarion was the result of my bid. Upon arrival they seemed to make several references to me booking it through priceline and it was pretty obvious that I was getting the bare-bones accomodations (no breakfast, limited hospitatlity, etc even though the hotel was barely booked) . I was given a room on the back side that is more of a motel than hotel with the rooms opening up to the outside. I didn't complain since I got the room for a bargain but I was diappointed as I was traveling alone and simply feel safer with a room that is enclosed in the property. Had I known that there was a chance of me booking an outiside facing room I would have probably just booked directly with another provider..but in the end that is nor here nor there.

The room was okay...a little musky, bedding had been updated to look modern but was uncomfortable and had scratchy linnens, two of my electrical outlets were not consistently working and I woke up sneezing and with allergies. Everything about the room looked and felt like a cheap partly-done renovation. Based upon the room I was assigned I would not rank this as a 3 Star hotel.

The tower part of the hotel looked nice and promising and had a lot of character. Although I didn't see any of those rooms I assume the decour is similar, but just the comfort of being in an enclosed area would have probably made a significant difference in my opinion of the property. This was my first time at a Clarion and possibly my last. I have had better rooms and service at 2.5 star hotels.

Room Tip: Some rooms open up to the outside and are part of the old "motel". Request a room in the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I understand that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Clarion. We recently changed some of our policies and free breakfast is no longer available and Priceline is working to correct this information on their website. Regardless, since the website has not been changed, you should have been offered free breakfast. I will address the linen and electrical outlet issues with the Executive Housekeeper and Chief of Maintenance. I also express to you our apology for the limited hospitality that you stated that you received during your stay. That is unacceptable and will be addressed with the staff.

Travelers are raving about these Columbus hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

NICE & Comfortable.

After my deployment to Kosovo, and going through the demobe process at Camp Atterbury, This was the perfect place to spend the night before heading back to Clarksville, Tn. Friendly staff, reccreational, swimming, whirlpool and workout room available.

What a great way to come home and rest up.

Damon & Yolanda Stewart

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your nice comment about the hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we hope that if you are in the area in the future that you will choose to stay with us again.
Utica, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Booked this room with a group. Pleasantly surprised at the accommodations! LOVE this indoor pool area which was huge and had ample seating for us to watch our kids without sitting in a sweatbox. Game room and putting surfaces kept the kids busy since the weather was horrible outside. Check in staff was nice. Room clean. Breakfast buffet was good. Only downfall was that only one of two elevators work and there is a wait during busy times. Otherwise I will stay again in the area!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank softball1966
tadams8, Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about our hotel! We take pride in our customer service and the fact that we offer some unique amenities from that of other hotels. I apologize that one elevator was not in service during the stay. This problem has been corrected. We sincerely do hope that you will consider staying with our hotel again when you are in the area.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was there on a pinch (bad weather) and because of its restaurant and game room, I would rank it as one of the better place to stay south of Indianapolis. Friendly staff and a nice, clean room make it awesome. The hot breakfast (bacon, eggs, pancakes, toast) is a bonus for the hungry traveler. I will return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GentlemanJim62
We really do appreciate the nice comments about our hotel! We take great pride in standing out from the rest of the hotels in our area and providing some unique amenities to our guests. It is our sincere hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This is 5 min. from the Edinburgh outlets exit & a much better deal ( we have found Edinburgh hotels consistently higher). Being renovated & while we stayed at a room with an outdoor entrance ( we had our dog), it was a very nice room! Judging by the outside entrance of our room ( that section exterior not yet renovated), I was a little worried, but the room had been completely renovated. Nice bedding, new tv & appliances, tub/shower/tile was new too. Spacious also! Breakfast was included & was at the hotel restaurant-- def better than the average hotel breakfast as this all was cooked in a kitchen. Will plan to stay here again while traveling!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank lbgreene
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel! We pride ourselves on the fact that our hotel is definitely different than the other hotels that guests have to choose from. We appreciate the comments and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Okay, so we stayed here recently in their one and only two story-hotel room. This covers the 6th and 7th floor. There are two balconies, the first floor has the living room and dining room and a bar area with a full bath. The second story has a king size antique bed and a full bath. An absolutely amazing room. Decorated with antique or replicas. This is no ordinary hotel room. Can't wait to come stay in this room again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Residence Inn Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
#4 of 10 in Columbus
Hampton Inn Columbus / Taylorsville / Edinburgh

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!