“not your typcial Holiday Inn...”

Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Indianapolis, Indiana
“not your typcial Holiday Inn...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I both enjoyed our stay very much. The decor was very nice, beds were comfortable, didn't hear much outside noise. It was a very relaxing getaway. In the future we will look for a Hotel Indigo in whatever city we are visiting.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jguynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chicago Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We opted to stay at the Hotel Indigo because it was within walking distance of downtown Columbus, which turned into an excellent reason for choosing it. There are several excellent restaurants and restaurant/sports bar type places within a few block of the hotel. Plus, many of the architectural gems of Columus are also within walking distance. I would have to say that the Veterans Memorial was incredibly moving and ranks right up there with the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC, albeit considerably smaller. Enough about Columbus though. The Hotel Indigo is relatively new. The docor is very contemporary with vibrant colors and crisp lines. The rooms we stayed in was quite nice with a nice washroom, very comfortable bed, a flat panel TV and both wired and wireless internet access. Once we figured out how to use the coffee maker that uses the small sealed plastic coffee containers, we were happy campers. Try to get a room on the West side which has a better view than the East side which faces the city. The only disadvantage to the West side is the close proximity to train tracks with which has very limited train traffic. The walls are not very soundproof but not terrible. The hotel staff was very friendly, but not always where we needed them. I think the hotel might be slightly under staffed. We had hoped ot have breakfast one morning and waited for several minutes at the cashier's station, and could hear people talking in the kitchen but no one came out to wait on us. Consequently, we walked to a local restaurant called Forks which we had dinner at the night before. It's an incredible restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had one very negative unfortunate experience at the hotel. The hotel does allow pets. In the middle of the night, two dogs started to bark in a room about six rooms away from us. Apparently, the two ladies that were staying in the room, ignored all calls to their room and had bolted their door so that the staff could not enter the room. When we called the desk, the lady was very apologetic, but was unable to do anything about the situation. I'd chalk that up to very rude and inconsiderate guests and to the fact that the hotel allows pets. I also used the one eliptical rider in the relatively small but clean fitness center, which was a very good model. Unfortunately, it was in need of adjustment because it was very noisy when in the reverse mode. The bottom line is this. We would probably stay at the hotel again, especially if we wanted to be close to downtown Columbus, otherwise we would try the Courtyard which was right off of I65. The price was just a little higher that we'd like to pay (we got an AARP discount too) but not bad for the amenities and experience we had. It beats staying in any of the Nashville, IN hotels which are considerably more expensive just to stay in a quaint touristy town.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Hotel Indigo knows how to do it. From the hominess of having Miles greet you at the front door to the luxuries found in your room. I could write for days, but I won't. Hotel Indigo is highly recommended. I'm trying to think of an excuse to return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

Had a great time at the Hotel Indigo. If you need to relax this is the hotel to go to. Very
charming. Loved the dog at the front desk check in. Staff was wonderful. Rooms are large and very relaxing. Restaurant was excellent. Best Mojito's anywhere. Pool and hottub
were very nice. Location is right across from park and walking distance to downtown area.
I will definitely look for Hotel Indigo when I travel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We were in town for a wedding, this is where the wedding party was staying and was a pet friendly hotel. Although there were other pet friendly hotels in town, because of our ICH hotel group status, we booked with Indigo. After checking in we immediately left for the wedding (we were there 15 minutes). The rooms were very interesting and we were looking forward to coming back after the wedding. At the wedding, we recommended this hotel to countless people, one of which canceled an existing reservation at a different hotel in town to stay here an another booked a room. So, my high recommendation of this hotel resulted in (at least) two other paying guests this evening.
After the reception we took the dogs out, played with them in the lobby and headed to the room for some much needed sleep. About 4:30am the hotel phone was ringing, I did not answer it, I couldn’t imagine what was so important at that hour and knew if it were an emergency my cell would ring, I thought it may be a wrong number. About 6am I am startled awake by the phone ringing again and police beating the door screaming “police, open up!”. OMG! I was scared out of my mind – is there a fire, are we in other danger? I open the door and apparently people were complaining of our dogs barking (two tiny dogs). Seriously? If you knock on the door or are in the hallway the dogs are going to bark, that is what dogs do. The cops were called two other times, but came to our door and there was NO BARKING. Well, the third time the police knocked (and yelled). After advising me of what was going on, the lady working the front desk took one of our dogs (why? I am not quite sure, maybe to encourage separation anxiety). Twenty minutes later she called to tell me she is not allowed to have the dog and I have to come get him from the front desk (!?!?!?!) I didn’t want her to take him in the first place. She brought him up to the room and proceeded to tell me that the other guests were threatening not to pay their bills and if that happened, the manager said she was going to FINE ME. Where is the agreement I signed advising me that I could be fined? I paid a non-refundable pet deposit to cover ANY damage done by my animals. So from 7:30am after all the disruptions we were awake every twenty minutes if one of the dogs even moved – awesome.
So, needless to say, we slept maybe two hours of the 9 hours we spent in the hotel and awoke to a long drive ahead of us the next day. How was our stay considered enjoyable by comparison to the other guests who were apparently disrupted by our dogs barking (who were threatening not to pay their bills)? We stayed at this hotel to sleep, that is it, but paid $140 and didn’t get sleep, but worse.
Furthermore, this was NOT the first time our dogs accompanied us on a trip. One of the two has been on 15 trips with us (to PET FRIENDLY hotels and camping and we have never had even a small issue). So, although it is possible that they barked, and too much for a neighbors liking, I have extreme doubts that the barking was excessive.
So, if you have a pet, evidently you must consult with the front desk before accepting a room. It is a “pet friendly” hotel that doesn’t place guests accordingly. Make sure you are advised of your rights as far as the behavior of your pet (even if they are well-behaved), in case a neighboring guest makes a complaint – unless you want to pay double your rate not including non-refundable pet fees. If you do not have pets, it is equally important to make sure you consult upon check in to assure that you will not be placed next to a guest with a dog that barks when it hears something unusual.
This was the WORST hotel stay – EVER. Unless there is a request for forgiveness that we find acceptable, we will never again stay with any branch of ICH hotels, there are too many others to choose from.
If I ever return to Columbus, IN, which is unlikely, I will choose the new Residence Inn. Residence Inn is a pet friendly branch of Marriott that have accommodated us AND OUR PETS on numerous occasions past with no drama. Every room at Residence Inn (especially newer hotels) is a contemporary suite which includes a full kitchen, is priced better and offers a free hot breakfast. Current weekend reservations using promo code RPN will receive a $50 Bonus Bucks coupon for a future weekend visit. I am kicking myself for even considering Hotel Indigo.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank explorepossibilities
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Indigo one night with my Mom on a return trip from West Virginia. We both really liked this hotel. Its retro furnishings make it fun. The room had a large walk-in shower (seldom seen in a hotel of this price and class). The beds were awesome and everything was spotless. Although the hotel has a lobby restaurant, local eateries are within a short walking distance (there is also a local movie theater just across the street). If you order the breakfast quesadilla from the lobby restaurant, note that it easily feeds to adults.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Wonderful staff, good location, clean rooms.
We stayed 2 nights for a weekend family getaway. My kids loved the "hotel dog" Miles. Pool was very nice. Our room was fun and modern with wood floors. We visited "Kids Commons" at the recommendation of the hotel staff. Our kids loved it!
We felt safe walking outside in the evenings. We had a wonderful trip. Highly recommend this hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
Residence Inn Columbus
#4 of 10 in Columbus
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edinburgh

Been to Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown? Share your experiences!