“Friendly staff and comfy rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes

Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
usa
“Friendly staff and comfy rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

I had a good stayed. I stayed on the 1st floor. The bed was very confortable and neat. The bathroom was clean. I like the internet and the staff was very polite and attentive with my needs. I will make The Marriot my hotel everytime i come to Columbus for business. The only let down was the breakfast. It is NOT free and then you have to make your own waffles aand serve yourself, I mean if someone is going to pay they should bring everything to your table. Other wise it should be free, next time I will go to Dennys near by I think it will be better.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank workandwork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

The hotel as a Marriot location is a real letdown. The room is no better than a Best Western, SleepInn, DaysInn, or Knights Inn. If you're looking for value and quality stay at the Best Western Horizon in Taylorsville where you get a hot breakfast for free or the Sleep Inn and suites in the same area as the Courtyard(within a half mile). The rooms are as nice in quality and size and you'll get better housekeeping and amenities. Management seems to be a bit more competent at either of the two also. I have stayed at all three and out of them I would rank them as follows: (1) Best Western Horizon Taylorsville(2)Sleep Inn and Suites of Columbus (3) Courtyard by Marriott in Columbus.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The lack of free breakfast in comparison to competitors in the area
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank INDrick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

In my view, the hotel has a don't care attitude. The staff are very friendly until an issue arises, and then it is a different matter. I had a recent experience of this when I last stayed at this hotel.
A personal toiletry item of mine went missing from the bathroom and has since cost nearly $100 to replace.
I called and wrote a letter to the manager requesting an investigation into the matter, but I was completely ignored. There have been no replies by phone or letter, no investigation, and no apology for my loss. It would appear that the disappearance of my belongings is of no interest to the management of this hotel.

When I stay in a hotel with the Marriott name behind it, I expect a certain standard of service, and I expect a problem to be addressed and not ignored. In my opinion, this hotel is not worthy to be a part of the Courtyard/Marriott group.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank roundabout100
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

The hotel is pretty much a regular Courtyard by Marriott. I paid $98 ($109.76 with taxes included) for one weekday night in early April. Nothing really special, pretty much what you would expect at a Courtyard. I did encounter a couple of issues.

1. I stayed in room 337. If possible get a different room. It’s located at the end of the hallway next to the stairs. I couldn’t figure out what it was but periodically throughout the night, I was awakened by what sounded like a bathroom exhaust fan, a vending machine compressor, or something to do with the HVAC system. Strangely, I also heard birds chirping.

2. I didn’t receive my free copy of the USA Today in my room. I noticed when I went down to the lobby to get a cup of coffee that all of the rooms on the first floor had their’s in front of their door. I asked the clerk at the front desk if he had any additional ones since I didn’t get one. He said they ran out and didn’t have any more. I grimaced and the clerk suggested I just take one from someone’s door. So, feeling somewhat guilty, I did just that.

The free wireless internet access in the room is nice. So too are the free coffee in the morning and cookies in the evening. Check in and check out were very efficient. Breakfast at $7.95 + tip in the lobby is a good deal but it would be better if they just included it in the price of the room. Overall not a bad hotel, it just would have been better in another room.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank ka7890
Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

This Courtyard is the only Marriott property in a 40 mile radius, so it stays very busy. The staff is friendly and helpful. The big downside is cleanliness. The policy, according to Jody, the property manager, is to change towels "only when they are on the floor or appear dirty". That's right, they don't take the extra towels off the rack between guests. A frequent guest, I discovered this by leaving paper or purposeful stains inside "extra" towels on check-out. The next time I was in the same room- still there!

The frightening thing is that the manager says it's a "Marriott" policy. Yikes!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank BusinessTravelerAL
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

Average Courtyard. This hotel is in a great, convenient location. It's an older Courtyard and is not quite up to the new, refurbished courtyard standards. The pool area is extra small even by Courtyard standards. The staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. I would recommend this Courtyard for a pleasant and convenient stay in Columbus.

• Liked — Location and staff friendliness
  • Disliked — older style accomodations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

We spent Saturday night of this past weekend at this Courtyard. We knew of the location of this motel so I called while on the road - it was 9:30 pm and were told we were lucky because they just had 2 rooms left. We took one and got a decent rate.

We arrived at 10:30 and there was a gentleman ahead of me at checkin that had just stopped to see if they had anything available. He was told "we just have 2 rooms" - I'm standing there wondering how there could still be 2 rooms if I just took one?? As the checkin was being completed the staff person says, "Wow that was our last empty room, I thought we had 2." So I interrupted, concerned that our room had just been given to this person. I asked if that meant I didn't have a room and the reply was, "I hope not." Not very reassuring!

We did get a room but I feel certain they were overbooked. There was just one person working the desk to handle all check-ins, phone calls, wake up call requests, and housekeeping requests. This was Memorial Day weekend as well as Indy 500 weekend, which fills all hotels in the area at that time. There was a need for at least one more staff person for that whole weekend.

I felt like the room was clean enough and they have improved the beds and pillows recently. The towels were a little lacking in size and texture.

Be careful at breakfast - what used to be a free breakfast in the lobby now has a charge to it if you want the warm food choices. But there is no one there to tell you that when you seat yourself, fill your plates, and make your own toast or waffles. That is a ripoff. No where was there a sign letting you know about the cost to eat. Next time I will go to Bob Evans for less money!

There is one computer and printer to use at no cost for Internet access.

Nothing above average, OK to stay for a night's sleep while traveling.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2Babydolls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Comfort Inn & Suites Columbus
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
Brown County Inn
Brown County Inn
#1 of 6 in Nashville

Been to Courtyard Columbus Tipton Lakes? Share your experiences!