“A Treasure”

Ranked #2 of 2 Columbus B&B and Inns
United States
“A Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here with my mom in the J.I. and Xenia Miller Suite. It was a birthday present for her. The Inn is very centrally located, and is 100% completely as it was in 1910!!!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! If you have the least bit appreciation of antiques or history, you will LOVE this place. We just walked around and talked, and wondered about what the former families were doing in each room.......... what was it like? What was Christmas like? Thanksgiving? It was wonderful.

We arrived at 2pm just so we could walk around the house and gardens (check-in is 4pm). We did NOT intend to actually access our room! Just wanted to see the house. Anyway, I do NOT recommend this!!! We apparently interrupted a tour with a local group, which we did NOT intend to do! Anyway, Sara admitted us, and was very gracious, but we still felt weird. Just get there about 4pm, and all will be well.

Having said that, you must see the gardens!!!!! All the fountains were shut off for the winter when we were there, and it was still incredible!!!!! They have a Purdue (GO PURDUE!!!!) student looking after the gardens in the summer, and he is working on restoring them to their original grandeur. He's doing a great job. Truly really very nice. Check out the wisteria!!! They are the only original planting from 1910, when the gardens were planted. HUGE!!!!!

The breakfast is very flexible, which we really appreciated!!!! Served from 8am - 10am. We ate at 10am. It was very beautiful, and well presented. Sara is a delightful gourmet cook!!!!!!! Coffee wonderful, and plentiful. Food awesome.

We also found value in the communal small frig in the hallway that they stock with beverages for anyone to take, as well as the communal microwave. We were able to save our leftovers from dinner the first night, and eat them late the second night. They also have light snacks at the top of the stairway, which was very nice for a late night snack.

Our room was HOT, and I slept in very little, to compensate. I do not know if this is normal, but ALL the guests were commenting on this at breakfast, so it's not just me (50ish female). Most opened a window to compensate. We were afraid of breaking ours, so we didn't. To be fair, I did not mention this to Sara. Every time I saw Sara, I was focused on something else. Like the history of this fabulous home. Please GO, you will not regret it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SH33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Throughout my trip through Indiana, I stayed at about half a dozen B&Bs, but this one was worth a glowing review. First, it's perfectly located, within walking distance to almost all the architectural landmarks of Columbus (which in itself is quite a marvelous destination.) Second, the gardens! Oh my gosh, the gardens. The perfect place to rest, to reflect, to simply admire the hardscape and the flowers. Serene, beautifully laid out, and worth a visit in and of themselves. Our room was enormous, the bed comfortable, the wifi pretty good. My only criticism is that the bathroom was dated, and the fixtures a bit flimsy.

The breakfast, too was outstanding -- salmon, scrambled eggs, and avocado. I couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank docwatson_236
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Unbelievably beautiful property. I could have sat in the gardens for days. Every single thing in the house is appropriate for the time period and in perfect condition, down to the plumbing and electrical fixtures. The entire place is an absolute treasure. I was there for a half-marathon on my 55th birthday and they accommodated me by having my specified pre-race breakfast ready an hour before they normally serve. The people who run the place could not have been nicer. My only complaints: the chairs and sofas in our room, while definitely authentic, were totally uncomfortable to sit on/in; sorry, but a TV in the room does not seem like a lot to ask. They do have pretty good Wi-Fi, though.

Room Tip: There is at least one room that has a TV. Ask.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisH05
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Irwin Gardens for a weekend (2 nights). The staff was kind, helpful and onubtrusive. Breakfast was elegant and delicious. The house and gardens are among the finest bed and breakfast properties we have ever visited. The large house is a "preservation" of a fine 20th century home, featuring the original Irwin family furnishings, books, artwork, etc. The gardens are well maintained and are a beautiful place for an after dinner stroll. And Columbus is a place worth visiting even if you had to stay at the Super 8 -- featuring one of the world's finest collections of modern architecture, by some of the 20th century's foremost architects. Many world-class buildings are literally within walking distance of the Inn. And there are three or four restaurants, also close by, that are very good. There is an excellent spa on the property as well, where we enjoyed a first-rate couple's massage. Yes, Virginia, there's more than corn in Indiana.... If you want to pamper yourself with a little away time, this is a great place to do it.

Room Tip: The Clementine Tangeman Suite is enormous. If you can afford it, stay there. But every room is qui...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IndyTrustLawyer
Cincinnati, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

After reading several of the other reviews about the delicious breakfasts, I have to say that our group of 8 was shortchanged. We were served 1 1/2 biscuits with gravy (did not taste homemade) and 2 sausage links (seemed microwaved) with a dish of fresh fruit as our B & B special breakfast. When Sarah the innkeeper was asked why the disparity from other guests' reviews when I called her, she said that it was because there were so many guests in our group that she couldn't made other meals. I find that a very flimsy excuse, as I have been to plenty of other B & B's with many more people and had an excellent breakfast. I really feel that we should be given a refund on our bill. We could have gotten that breakfast at McDonalds!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Purduepete1
Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

+ Big Big rooms
+ Big bath room
+ Nice, friendly, affectionate and respectable inn keeper
+ Very friendly environment

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kuwait_visitor
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

When you visit the unique architectural jewels of Columbus, Indiana, this is a place where you can put yourself into the shoes of the influential lords and ladies of yesteryear......

Climb up the master suite at the top of the building (W.G. Irwin's Suite). Write a quick note to your well-heeled friends while sitting in the original leather chair and take in the view of your lovely garden. Take a dip in the tub or douse yourself with an invigorating shower, then slowly get dressed while sun rays stream through a small window (again overlooking the garden). Go downstairs for a soiree or take a walkabout in the garden. Have your "valet" lay out the next day's clothes in the wardrobe room. Before turning in, sink yourself into the chaise lounge and sniff/sip some quality Cognac or Scotch on the rocks.

Back to today, this is a very nice B & B chock-full of history, managed by young and attentive staff. Great breakfast served in the original retro-ware (ours was 1930's). Great setting. Typical B&B guests gather for breakfast (talkative, mid-aged, retired, intellectual), if you can chat your way. It is rather turn of the last century (dream is alive in the 1890's) so do not expect the stark, sterile, industrial cleanliness. A fantastic stay overall.

Room Tip: W.G. Irwin's Bachelor Suite; You are staying at a historical mansion, so do it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank nomaddumonde