“Nice new hotel”

Residence Inn Columbus
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Stayed here as part of a leisure trip and casual business trip. We had a suite with kitchen and some extra room. The hotel staff was friendly, including the kitchen staff and cleaners. Everyone was genuinely nice.

Breakfast was really good. Hotel had an indoor pool and hot tub, nice little exercise room and a decent basketball court right there. The business center is a nice too, though the do have free internet in your room.

Location was close to the shopping center north of Columbus and less than 15 minutes to the park entrance and Nashville.

The location is good, close to

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I highly recommend this hotel. Why?
-Location, location, location: Right off of I-65 and centrally located for trips to Columbus, In. (Big thumbs up for that architecture tour), Nashville In art colony, and Edinburgh Outlet Mall.
-Comfort and value. Staying here was like a home away from home: two-room suite, fully equipped kitchen, spotlessly clean, modern stylish decor, super-comfortable beds and linens. The complimentary breakfast and Mon-Thurs evening reception helped our pocketbooks, too. The large outdoor patio (grill available too!) was a nice place to relax on this warm summer evening.
- Fitness. Didn't use the machines, but we did spend some time in the heated pool to work off some calories. Saw some teenagers shooting hoops using the outdoor basketball nets right outside the facility.
- Service. Very friendly, efficient and helpful staff that went the extra mile. The tone was set by top management - when we arrived, the manager happened to be outside retrieving something from his car, noticed us struggling with a bunch of bags and immediately offered to fetch a cart for us. The sales manager was also very helpful when we decided to extend our stay and the hotel was nearly fully booked. And the rest of the staff in the dining area, front desk and cleaning crew were also wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Relaxing week-end visiting Columbus, Nashville & Bloomington. Loved the condo-like inn with its full kitchen, fireplace & two flat-screen TV's. Everything was spotless and comfy. Had a wonderful meal at Smith & Rowe downtown (crab encrusted walleye) thanks to the front-desk advice.

Though our bedroom faced the parking lot and we had lots of rain and thunderstorms, we never heard a sound. This is what all hotel should aspire to.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Extremely comfortable studio room with excellent kitchen. New hotel with new rooms that look like the photos in the magazine ads. Great shower. Do not use Google driving directions -- they have you drive to the wrong end of town.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We stayed here overnight for a quick trip to Nashville, Indiana. It was very convenient in terms of location - just off of I-65 and only about 20 minutes away from Nashville. We were pleased with the room and with the fact that we could get an early check-in. Our only issue was with Heather, the concierge/desk assistant. That evening, we wanted to go out to dinner. We asked for recommendations, and one of the spots she mentioned was Carrabas. We asked for directions, and took off with map in hand. The directions were terrible. I called her from my cell to double-check, and she verified that we were going the right way. I asked if she had ever been to this particular restaurant, and she confirmed that she hadn't. We finally found it by taking a completely different route (the way that she had told us had us going the wrong way down a one-way street!). Only when we "found" the restaurant, we learned that it wasn't a Carrabas, it was a Johnny Carino's! We got back to the hotel and pointed this out to her, in the hopes that other travelers wouldn't have to through this. Both my husband and I got the impression that she could have cared less about the fact that we had to drive all over Columbus, and she definitely wasn't paying attention when we gave her the new directions and the CORRECT name of the restaurant.

Other than that one employee, our stay here was great!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

This was my first stay in the area, and I LOVED this place. It was quiet, comfortable, and affordable. The unit I stayed in was a king suite - loved the separate bedroom area with separate doors. The fitness center and pool area were both clean and well maintained. The employees were all friendly and helpful. Would definetely stay again if I was in the area on business.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I cannot add anything positive that has not already been said. The hotel is brand new and pristine, the staff friendly, service excellent, and the location ideal.

As others have said, the furniture/décor is trendy; however, trendy does not equate to comfort. With the exception of the patio and poolroom chairs, we found the furniture to be quite uncomfortable.

We booked into the hotel for 6 nights with our Shih Tzu. Initially, we were very happy that the hotel was so new and pristine. Unfortunately for me, that happiness was short lived. As soon as we walked down the hall, I suspected that I would have problems with the odors from the new carpets, wall coverings, and furniture. The odor in the room was overpowering for me. We kept the windows open all night to no avail. In the morning, I had a severe headache, dizziness, and nausea. I was very disappointed but by 12 PM, I begged my husband to check us out. Thankfully, by evening away from the room I felt better.

The Residence Inn has a $100 per stay pet fee, which we knew about when we booked, although the room directory lists the pet fee as $75. Checking out left us with a one-night rate of $233. I later learned that my husband did not realize that the room odors caused the problem and did not explain that to the desk personnel. I doubt they could have done anything about the situation had they known; presumably all the rooms would have been the same.

We booked the room knowing the policy, but never dreamed this would happen. If you consider staying here and have any kind of chemical sensitivity, I would wait six months for the furnishing’s etc. to “cure”.

We would stay at the hotel again (after 6 mths) if we were in the area without the dog, and I would recommend it to those without a chemical sensitivity.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BritYank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Hotel Indigo Columbus Downtown
#3 of 9 in Columbus
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 7 in Nashville

Been to Residence Inn Columbus? Share your experiences!