“Needs Upgrading”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cloverdale
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Convenient location when traveling on Rt.70, rooms are clean but need to be upgraded

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FrankBelAir_Maryland

Reviewed July 12, 2011

From previous ratings, it looks like we were not the only ones to have a similar experience.

We were traveling home to OH from MO, where hoping to drive through but just couldn't go another mile. With this in mind, we weren't looking for luxury...just a clean place, shower & sleep. We stopped at the gas station at the Cloverdale exit. I called Choice Hotels to find out the closest one they had. It was the Econolodge across the street. From there, it looked fairly new. Drove across the street & reality hit. O.K., all we needed was basic, so we'll give it a try.

Went inside & told the girl who we were. Did we want to use the card on file? No. Needless to say... why I do not know... my husband wanted to pay $40 in cash & charge the rest. At that point, she should have told us it was too late, but took the $40. I asked her why it wasn't on the receipt that I had given her the cash. She said, don't worry it will balance on check-out. I told her, "OK but I'm writing it on here now - & did.

The exterrior walls, floor & stairway was dirty. It needed paint and had a look of "just plain shabby" written all over it! We got to the room & could barely close the door. At first thought we couldn't lock the door but figured out that the dead bolt wouldn't work with the door closed all the way. Secured, but we had light peaking in aruond the door. We had 2 grandkids & needed 4 towels & had only 3. We're family, we shared & survived. (Next day we discovered that it had one of the worse "continental" breakfasts I have ever seen! I'm not picky in the least but walked away with just coffee!)

Got out the laptop & I pulled up my account. The original fee of $50.39 (senior discount) AND an additional $40 charge. What??? I went down to the office & she said she had only charged me $10.39 - look at her receipt. I don't care what your receipt says... my bank says there are two charges totaling $90.39 on my acount that should have said only $10.39, since I gave you $40 in cash!! (I'm trying to still be reasonable here, not cursing or shouting.)

She called someone & then said that when she pressed the computer to tell it we were there, it automatically put the full amount on our card. O.K... then why take our cash??? THEN, she continues, when she entered the $10.39 we were supposed to pay (after we had given the $40 cash), the computer thought it was short $40 & added the additional amount. Still don't understand... if it took the full amount the 1st time, wouldn't it show "Paid in Full" and not accept any further payment?? I'm still stuck on stupid over that one/??

Don't worry, it will come off tomorrow morning after I do the night audit. Still pretty uneasy, I trusted to wait. Next day it is still there and, I was informed it was "my" bank's fault . It would take a couple of days to come off. So, sorry but you should use a credit card instead of a debit. This has happened before. ... What?? Wait a minute... if it has... then why not train your staff so it doesn't happen again?? I called Choice Hotels & got the "The clerk explained what happened and we try to give the hotels an opportunity to make things right before we step in... & they are doing what they can. So, here is a case # & call us if it doesn't work out." What???

They had two holds on our account, leaving us with no $$ in our account. A $50.39 and a $40 hold PLUS our $40 in cash! That totals over $130 of our money that was wrapped up into this dump of a hotel... Now we're beyond limping home... we're on a wing & a prayer, with 3/4 of a tank in gas & $16 in our pocket... and now, no money in the bank!! That night, I I transferred $ from our home equity account, but that takes time. The instant we got home, my husband made a trip to the Credit Unioin & made a deposit into our afflicted bank account.

FIVE DAYS later: $50.39 just came off this a.m. with a replacement charge of $10.39 . Now, we're getting somewhere... BUT the $40 is still pending and has not come off. This is a vacation account w/limited money in it. Had we not been overchaged, we would have limped home with $43 in the bank... instead it caused us to be NSF adding an overdraft fee at the bank for $25. Fortunately, the bank understood & took it off. Bank says that these places always blame the customer's bankd, but by tomorrow a.m. (6 days later) if the $40 is still there, contact my branch & they'll put in a dispute.

DO NOT go to this hotel, do not pass go, and keep on driving!

Room Tip: Never make reservations on the phone without seeing the hotel in person or online... and look at rev...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Charwatkin
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Basic hotel for a stopover. Clean with nice continental breakfast. Friendly staff. Easy access.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank retiredandlovingit07
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Could only find one review about this hotel on the AAA website and it was an ok one but not so much for us....The best thing about this hotel was the convenient location to the interstate. Check-in was so-so. When I reserved the rooms, my credit card was charged immediately, even though they give you until the day before to cancel your reservation. Anyway, the clerk wanted to see my credit card and I told him I already paid. He said it wasn't showing up that I had paid but he continued checking and found that it had gone through. The stairs leading up to our rooms were dirty and not well lit. The dirty laundry was spilling out onto the sidewalk and we had to walk by that. Our rooms were not very clean. There were crumbs on the floor and an earring. The freezer in the fridge really needed to be defrosted. Check-out went ok though the clerk didn't really seem to know what he was doing. Not a place we'll stay at again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank harvickfan-29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Super 8 Cloverdale
Motel 6 Cloverdale
Motel 6 Cloverdale
#2 of 6 in Cloverdale
Holiday Inn Express Cloverdale

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!