We booked this hotel almost a year ago since hotel rooms over the Kentucky Derby weekend are sold out far in advance. My wife and I thought we were lucky just to find a hotel room anywhere within 25 miles of Churchill Downs. As soon as we checked in, we agreed that, for our needs, this was the best hotel we could have hoped for if we had our choice of Louisville area inns.
The hotel was easy to find. It is not right on the highway, but our Garmin led us right to it. The parking lot was very clean, the landscaping was nice and the hotel looked relatively new. The lobby was spacious and had a big flat screen TV and sofas to relax in. There was 24 hour free coffee available in the lobby and free newspapers. We are not big fans of 3:00 p.m. check in times, but it seems to be the norm these days. There was no line at check in and the staff throughout our stay was very friendly.
We did not know that housekeeping was only offered after a week long stay. We were in town for four days which meant the room would not be refreshed at all. We were told that we would be given fresh towels by bringing down our used towels and that we could either put our trash outside the room for pick up or bring it down to the front desk for disposal. As it turned out, we were able to spread everything out a little more when we were not expecting a maid to come in daily. Our room was extremely clean upon check-in and we did not miss daily maid service at all.
We were assigned a top floor (4th floor) room. The queen sized bed really looked more like a full size bed, but it was comfortable and we slept well. The room was very spacious and is set up like an efficiency apartment. We had a full size refrigerator, a stove, a counter, sink, microwave and cabinets. There was silverware and dishes in the room.
A multi-purpose dining table was located next to the kitchen area....perfect for watching the 42" flat screen TV and browsing the Internet at the same time. The wireless Internet only gave us "fair" signal strength and was little on the slow side, but it was free and got the job done. There was a huge cable selection....well over a hundred channels. There is a DVD player in the room. We had a good deal of business to tend to and the free wifi and the room setup made it easy to do everything
The closet is about six feet long and offered plenty of space for hanging clothes and other storage. The bathroom was spacious and looked brand new. The minor complaints are that the water pressure was fair, not great, and the hair dryer is a little pea shooter that gives a so-so performance. Unlike most hotel rooms, there were plugs everywhere which made battery charging for the computer, cell phones, tablets and cameras easy.
Even though no free breakfast was offered, we were able to keep milk in the fridge and cereal in the cabinets for an easy breakfast. We could store our dinner leftovers safely in the fridge for next day snacks. The hotel was very quiet. On Saturday and Sunday, we had the local paper delivered outside the door. There was a Kentucky Derby party on Friday night with a light buffet, soft drinks and beer in the lobby. We wish we would have known about the festivities before we ate dinner out, but it was still fun in the lobby as the excitement continued to build for the big race.
To our surprise, there were two souvenir mint julep glasses waiting in our room and a wooden plaque containing the logo print for Kentucky Derby 139. The freebies would have cost us $51.00 plus tax at the Churchill Downs Gift Shop, so they were really nice giveaways. The hotel is just a few miles north of the Ohio River. It is just a couple of blocks off of I-65 which zips you right into Louisville. Downtown Louisville hugs the southern bank of the Ohio River and Churchill Downs, our main destination, was only 8 miles away.
The Clarksville area is really nice. There was a mall less than a mile from the hotel and Best Buy, Kroger,Target and Walmart were all a couple of minutes away by car. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. You will feel like you are in an apartment.....which is a lot more like home than most hotel rooms. Our many thanks to the Candlewood management and staff for a great four day stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Candlewood Suites Louisville North a 100% non-smoking hotel. We are located 4 miles from downtown Louisville and offer all of the comforts of home along with the convenience of having major businesses, retailers and restaurants nearby. We are located off exit #5- Veterans Parkway on I-65. Our all suite hotel is ideally located for visiting Norton Healthcare, Jewish Hospital and Clark & Floyd County Memorial Hospitals. The hotel is also close to the University of Louisville and the brand new Indiana- Purdue University campus. This brand new property has been designed with your needs in mind. Swim year round in our beautiful heated indoor pool, work out in our state of the art fitness center. Cook a meal in our fully equipped kitchens, grab a snack from the fully stocked Candlewood Cupboard or cook-out on our gazebo equipped with a gas grill. Or you can unwind after a hard day s work in our plush recliners while watching premium cable and HD channels on our 32 LCD TV s or grab a movie from our free movie library. If you prefer to work in the privacy of your living room we also offer wired and wireless free high speed Internet and an oversized work desk in every suite. All of our amenities will make you feel right at home and with all that downtown Louisville has to offer makes our Candlewood Suites the perfect place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Candlewood Suites Louisville North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Louisville North Hotel Clarksville
- Candlewood Suites Clarksville