“Meets our needs.”

Best Western Indian Oak
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I would like to say that though I will also add some cons I would stay here again. We are here now and it is extremely easy to get to off the highway, to the Dunes and you can pick almost any place you want to eat. The lady who checked us in was extremely kind, courteous and willing to give us directions to any place we need to go. She works day shift. The guy on the second shift was nice as well but not quite as chatty, which is fine...he served the purpose we needed him to.
Our room was spacious and pretty clean. The remote needed washed off which wasn't a big deal to me, I just did it. The tub bottom is a different color and does appear to have standing water but it is clean and that is much more important to me. However, i did stand there freaking out a min about having to stick my hand in what i thought was cold water.

I have a lake side room and the outside furniture does need wiped off, it is outside and I would expect that. The lake isn't green right now and there are several baby ducks, two swans and sea gulls that sit on the ground right outside our room. You can hear the train but the noise does not bother me, it isn't terribly loud.

The pool is cold. I do think it could be warmer but it is pretty large and is clean. There is a hot tub and sauna in here also. Remember to get your towels at the front desk before you walk in. They aren't big so you may want to get an extra or two.

The lobby is beautiful and there is a salon and spa as you walk in. I have not
utilized it so I cannot comment on it. The lobby, hallways and other areas appear newly renovated throughout and the photos someone else posted are not accurate of what it looks like now. The carpet it new, walls have new paint and nice decor. Other areas trimmed in oak.

I don't care for the smoking rooms though, not being a smoker. I can smell it in the hall on the way to my room. That grosses me out and they should be seperated better.

Breakfast is sufficient. We left full and the lady working is amazing and cheerful. It is nice to be greated by someone nice when you first wake up. =)

Again, overall it has been a great stay and I would definetly stay again with no reservations. Just wanted to add the cons as they are important to me when searching for somewhere to stay and so that hotel management can correct things that patrons don't care for.

The town itself seems safe and small. Walgreens, Hallmark and a ton of fast food places are very very close . Kmart, Jewel Osco, Wendy's and Applebees are over the interstate. No Walmart though. =(

Learned that it is $10 for out of state people to go in the state park but free to go in through Porter Beach which is close. Also learned that people hunt for old glass in the water and not shells here. It is weathered and flattened like rocks. It is very beautiful and not sharp at all. It is worth looking for.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank RnmomIllinois
There are newer reviews for Best Western Indian Oak

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We were quite pleasantly surprised, the room was spacious, in good condition and clean. We had a whirlpool suite, first floor with small patio next to lake. We enjoyed the geese and wildlife on the lake. For the area, this was a great value. We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R B
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We spent one night at Indian Oak. The location is excellent for visiting the shore at the Indiana Dunes State Park. Just take the adjacent highway straight up to enter the park. Only about 15 minutes away. The room was very comfortable and big. Get a ground floor room on the east side and have patio doors open to a small patio with two chairs for outside space. The microwave and small refrigerator held our leftovers from a stay in Michigan. We did not want to go out and ordered a great pizza delivery advertised in the room info. Price was only in the $95 range for the room with the use of a AAA discount. An indoor pool is available as well as an outdoor deck to watch the sunset. We will use this hotel in a future return to the Dunes Park.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank labs7
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We had a small wedding in June and 2/3 of the guests were staying at this hotel. Since it overlooks a very pretty lake, we decided that it made sense to have the ceremony there. The staff were very accommodating and all of the guests enjoyed their stay. The view was gorgeous and we really enjoyed our day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank servonine
Reviewed June 29, 2011

This hotel had great rooms, awesome beds,neat and organized, nice big pool, awesome spa, and the service was great. It is on great location being on a small lake. The Amtrak train station, great restaurants, shopping malls, casino, the dunes and beach of lake Michigan are nearby. It is near by 3 major highways, Chicago downtown is only around 45 miles away from the hotel.There cannot be any better place to relax and enjoy what everything else surrounding the hotel has to offer. We loved it and we will always stay at this hotel and take advantage of all the amenities and services they have to offer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank kunal2k5
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This hotel was great for my business meeting that I had in Chesterton. The rooms looked like they have been updated with flat screen T.V.'s. The room size we really big and was facing the a lake, which was nice to relax in the evenings out on the balcony. The hotel had a great location it was right off the highway and had restaurants within walking distance. The staff was friendly with helping me pick out a restaurant that was close by. They had a GREAT breakfast with sausage eggs ect. I didn't have time to use the pool and spa but the pool looked a lot bigger then most hotels I stay at. They had a Business Center which I used to print off some material. The had a Full service beauty salon in the hotel which offered massages.

Room Tip: Lake Side room Were big
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Mike42354
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stopped over for 1 night on a XC road trip, and it was a good experience. Little disappointed that the hottub was broken, but the gym was a nice morning activity before driving 500 miles, as was the delicious breakfast. Very clean and staff was friendly!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank HoboHealth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
#1 of 1 in Porter
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City

Been to Best Western Indian Oak? Share your experiences!