I would like to say that though I will also add some cons I would stay here again. We are here now and it is extremely easy to get to off the highway, to the Dunes and you can pick almost any place you want to eat. The lady who checked us in was extremely kind, courteous and willing to give us directions to any place we need to go. She works day shift. The guy on the second shift was nice as well but not quite as chatty, which is fine...he served the purpose we needed him to.
Our room was spacious and pretty clean. The remote needed washed off which wasn't a big deal to me, I just did it. The tub bottom is a different color and does appear to have standing water but it is clean and that is much more important to me. However, i did stand there freaking out a min about having to stick my hand in what i thought was cold water.
I have a lake side room and the outside furniture does need wiped off, it is outside and I would expect that. The lake isn't green right now and there are several baby ducks, two swans and sea gulls that sit on the ground right outside our room. You can hear the train but the noise does not bother me, it isn't terribly loud.
The pool is cold. I do think it could be warmer but it is pretty large and is clean. There is a hot tub and sauna in here also. Remember to get your towels at the front desk before you walk in. They aren't big so you may want to get an extra or two.
The lobby is beautiful and there is a salon and spa as you walk in. I have not
utilized it so I cannot comment on it. The lobby, hallways and other areas appear newly renovated throughout and the photos someone else posted are not accurate of what it looks like now. The carpet it new, walls have new paint and nice decor. Other areas trimmed in oak.
I don't care for the smoking rooms though, not being a smoker. I can smell it in the hall on the way to my room. That grosses me out and they should be seperated better.
Breakfast is sufficient. We left full and the lady working is amazing and cheerful. It is nice to be greated by someone nice when you first wake up. =)
Again, overall it has been a great stay and I would definetly stay again with no reservations. Just wanted to add the cons as they are important to me when searching for somewhere to stay and so that hotel management can correct things that patrons don't care for.
The town itself seems safe and small. Walgreens, Hallmark and a ton of fast food places are very very close . Kmart, Jewel Osco, Wendy's and Applebees are over the interstate. No Walmart though. =(
Learned that it is $10 for out of state people to go in the state park but free to go in through Porter Beach which is close. Also learned that people hunt for old glass in the water and not shells here. It is weathered and flattened like rocks. It is very beautiful and not sharp at all. It is worth looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Indian Oak! Our two story 61 room hotel is conveniently located off I-80 and I-94 near Lake Michigan, Valparaiso University, and only 5 MINUTES from the Indiana Dunes State Park. Plus Chicago O'Hare International Airport is only 65 miles away, and Chicago Midway International Airport is a brisk 51-mile drive. We offer an amazing location with a gorgeous lake, with lake-view specialty rooms and some of our rooms have fireplaces and whirlpools. Pick up a complimentary newspaper in the lobby before heading to a free full hot breakfast. Afterward, go for a swim in the indoor pool, soak in the hot tub, work up a sweat in the gym. Our hotel features unbeatable amenities including: in-room Wi-Fi, 39" flat screen TVs, mini-fridge, microwaves, and coffee makers in all of our rooms. We have a 24-hour business and fitness center. We also have the Indian Oak Pub where nightcaps are our specialty along with affordable rates. Whether you are the business traveler, traveling for leisure, or with your family, we are just the place for you! We look forward to seeing you soon!" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Best Western Indian Oak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Indian Oak Hotel Chesterton
- Best Western Chesterton
- Indian Oak Resort Spa
- Best Western Hotel Chesterton