“Yuk”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
St. Louis, Missouri
“Yuk”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Gray sheets and pillowcases, rooms with extremely poor lighting, dirty toilets, dirty tubs, two gray bath towels per room, no face towels, a TV that makes you wonder if it's color or black and white, a continental breakfast consisting of miniature plastic wrapped sweet rolls, a loaf of white bread and butter, smoking guests outside of guest room windows -- all for a total of $100.79. Only because we had driven 750 miles and were exhausted did we make the mistake and stop there. First and last stop at an Econo Lodge!

Room Tip: Just don't stay there. Drive onto another hotel/motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a rip off. Stayed at a lot of places and this is by far the worst. They are so cheap even with the coffee served for breakfast. Could not wait to get out of there. Dirty too. Too bad but I will never again stay at an Econo lodge.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Chesterton hotels

Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel has got to be the most disgusting place i have ever stayed in. carpets were sticky on my bare feet, trash laying around everywhere by dumpster, cigarette burns in sheets, room smelled like wet dog. i could go on and on about the filth but those were the highlights. i wouldn't put my worst enemy up in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barney B
Quincy, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I hesitated staying here because of a few bad reviews. I stayed anyway and don't understand what the problems were. The room was clean and everything worked. The staff was great and the location was excellent. I'm from the area and will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg G
Dublin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in March 2013 and we found it very comfortable and clean. We had no issues with our room and actually had a quiet night. There weren't many tv channels but the wi-fi worked. Our shower worked fine and there were plenty places to eat around the hotel itself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank POBDublin
Randolph, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is by far the most disgusting place I ever had to stay. Was traveling to Wisconsin in August 2012 and at 2 am in the morning and after stopping for many miles at several places to be told "no vacancies" we finally found this place. (Now I know why this place had available rooms - because NOBODY in their right mind would EVER choose to stay here.) The place reeked the moment we entered but being DEAD TIRED we felt we had no choice but to take the room as I had my 80 year old mother with us and she needed a break from all the riding as well as the driver needing a few hours of shut eye. The moment we entered the room we wanted to turn around and check back out. We had just paid $99 for a cr....phole! The first thing is the headboard was ripped right off the wall and hanging there just flopping back and forth, the room smelt like stinky socks and toe jam, and the moment we went to pull down the bed sheets we found a bright red bug - yuck! - was terrified it was a bedbug but having never seen one, i tried logging onto the advertised "free wifi" to look up what we had found...couldn't connect.At 2 am we couldn't connect? Whats up there? I decided maybe we were just freakin out because of the bad smell and it was probably just some other kind of bug. I made my daughter and Elderly mother keep their luggage closed and sleep on top of the covers FULLY clothed. Next morning (only 3 hours later) we got up and checked out and was on our way. When we got to our destination we connected to the internet to see what the bug we had seen was and YUCK!!! IT WAS WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER definitely A BEDBUG!!!! We called the hotel and asked for a refund of our $99 as certainly that was definitely an overcharge for 3 hours in a bug infested smelly room. What a joke all he would offer us was a "50% off discount for THIS hotel for a future stay." NO WAY I would ever step foot in this hotel again and I am sure he knew that so in essence what he offered us was nothing. In the end we also didn't get our choice rewards points because they never showed us ever staying their on the records (maybe he pocketed our money so he didnt' have to claim it on his taxes, I dont' know.) Just saying. We also notified Choice rewards and all they did is refer us back to THIS hotel to have it settled. Apparently Choice rewards don't care either what kind of rep this hotel is giving them. For this reason I no longer care if I get points because I would never be able to use them anyways! No way will I ever stay in a Choice Rewards hotel again, and definitely NOT any Econo Lodge. I will stick with Radisson, Days Inn and Marriott. If I was ever in that area again I would sleep in the car before I would ever step foot in this hotel again. STAY AWAY......bedbugs are nearly impossible to get rid of if you were to bring them home. NOT WORTH IT!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012

While working out of town at a Northwest Indiana refinery I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Chesterton, Indiana for 3 months. I found the staff very friendly and helpful, my room was cleaned every day, sheets changed, towels changed, bathroom cleaned, wi-fi available. rug vacuumed, breakfast free of charge. All this with a very reasonable price. There are plenty of restaurants available within 5 minutes of motel from fast food to upper end restaurants. There is even a medical facility within five minutes if needed. I would recommend the Econo-Lodge for your travel in Chesterton, Indiana.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#1 of 1 in Porter
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!