“Wished we had stayed somewhere else”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Muskegon
“Wished we had stayed somewhere else”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were just passing through town...needed a place for the night. Stopped at this Econo Lodge. I knew we should have walked back out. The place smells like an old dirty bar from the moment you walk in. Stale cigarettes with a side of meth lab. The person working the desk was no ms. personality either. We were just driving back home from a southern vacation and I remarked to my husband "Well, I guess we're far enough north again that the southern hospitality is out the window." We got a non smoking room, but it smelled weird....not like the lobby, but a weird twang was in the air. On the surface, it looked clean enough. The decor wasn't too shabby, there was a fridge and microwave...always a huge plus. Pillows were THIN...super thin. Glad we brought our own. We slept okay...beds weren't super comfy, but I've had worse. THEN...when we were getting everyone ready and checking the sheets for loose socks, etc...I noticed the sheets had CIGARETTE burns and mystery stains on them. I about barfed. How trashy does a hotel need to be to have cigarette burns in the sheets in a non smoking room? The continental breakfast was also disappointing. Little Debbies, Toast, and the most watered Orange and Apple Juice I've ever had in my life. There was no fruit...or cold cereal...or oatmeal. Listen, I am NOT a fussy traveller. Read my other reviews. I've given 5 stars and great reviews to MANY budget motels. This is our first experience with an Econolodge....sorry to say to the chain, but we will never stay at one again based on this one experience. There are several chains in this little town....if the rest are sold out and there's only one room available here, save yourself $78 and sleep in your car.

Room Tip: I'd rather give tips to the owners.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BKBails

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The older woman working the front desk was very rude...she seemed totally put out by my questions. Our room...when you walked into it, the chemical smell was overwhelming! Two days later now, my sister said she doesn't know if she'll ever get that smell of out of her head. All 3 of coughed through the night and woke with headaches and sore throats. The pillows...I've eaten pancakes fluffier than the flat pillows and there are no extras in the room. Our lamp shade was broken and hanging sideways and it had several holes in it. There were only two lamps in the entire room and it was very dark. My daughter wanted to take a bath...the drain wouldn't close so the tub held no water. I thought the tub looked kind of dirty, so I scraped my fingernail on it and soap scum caked my fingernail. As someone else mentioned, the soap is broken into several pieces. I happened to see behind the nightstand while looking for a plug-in and the floor and wall was caked with thick dust and there was a dead flower laying on the lamp cord. The breakfast consisted of Little Debbie oatmeal pies and honey buns, along with watered down orange juice that was barely drinkable. What a disappointment. We were so tired or otherwise we would have never stayed here. We certainly won't stay here again and cannot recommend this motel. The price of $76 was outrageous for a dirty, dark, smelly room. We came home and immediately washed all our clothing, including the clean clothing that was in our suitcases. Also, the WiFi was a joke. I tried to sign in and got a virus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank IndyMom21

Travelers are raving about these Chesterton hotels

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The room I received was clean, had a mini fridge and microwave. Fella at the front desk was very accommodating and the price was right. Only fault I found was pillows were flat, had to double up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dan M
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Bad experience from the moment we checked in. I reserved 2 nights, but decided to only stay one night. The woman was very rude and made me call the main number to cancel my reservation, which was incorrect of her do do. There were only 2 small towels, no shampoo and it was very dirty. The worst thing was that my boyfriend was bitten by bedbugs..yes, bedbugs. If you have to stay here, make sure you wash your clothes right away when you return home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed December 30, 2011

When you are traveling you have to decide what type of accommodations will serve your purpose. When staying in NW Indiana to visit family and friends we decided that we would need a bed and a shower and not much more. This Econo Lodge is obviously not the best choice in the area so I was not surprised with what we got for the money we paid. What we did get was our requirements filled with a hot shower and bed. The location is good for dining options and their packaged breakfast items and coffee will hold you over till you get some real food. Please don't whine when you pay $50 a night for hotel and all you get is $50 worth of product/service. Oh and I almost forget that the staff was nice and helpful and that is always a bonus at any price.

Room Tip: I think the closer you get to the front office the better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MTRaz
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed September 8, 2011

excellent rate
Internet bombed
could not open window(was cooler outside than inside my room)
Plenty of restaurants close by
Long John Silvers
Kentucky Fried Chicken/A&W rootbeer
Walgreens across the street
room needed attention
nicked walls,drink cup staind
Breakfast consisted of
Orange Juice on tap
Coffe
an assortment{it looked like little debbie brand}but still acceptable
close to interstate 80/90 & 94
very safe state police very visible,close to chicago,gary

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank christopher g
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This place was a total crappy dive. Do not stay here even if you have no choice. There was no breakfast in the lobby the next morning, just Tastykakes, and there was no coffee. The front desk guy didn't understand English, and did nothing when my son threw up. The bathroom was dirty, no shampoo, and the TV didn't have all the channels. Will absolutely not be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#6 of 11 in Portage

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!