“Absolutely HORRIBLE!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Zeeland, Michigan
“Absolutely HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have stayed in some icky places but this was the worst. The walls were painted different colors and they completely missed the corners. The automatic sprinkler had been leaking and the drywall all around it was a soggy looking mess, it looked like they tried to repair it and did a horrible job, the sprinklers also did not have the covers on them and I suspect they would not have put out any fire!!

Also in the breakfast area their was 2 dead cockroaches, which we seen while eating a 'continental' breakfast of Little Debbie snacks.

I had stayed in this same motel 5-6 years ago, when it was a Super 8 and it was very nice, I cannot believe how it looks now!

I HIGHLY suggest staying somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cinnilouwho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

It had been a hard day of driving, I'd been lost for a while, and found directions to a Best Western. After driving around for 10 minutes without finding it, I found this EconoLodge. (I did see the Best Western the next morning as I was leaving. Keep driving around - you'll find it over behind the Walgreen's. Kind of.)

This whole place felt off, and if I hadn't been so tired I would have noticed: no cars in the parking lot, an eerily quiet hotel, and just a feeling that this wasn't really a part of the EconoLodge chain any longer (I have no way of knowing that - but it didn't give the "team" feel you get from the chains).

The room smelled very "chemical", there was a showerhead in the tub but no way of turning it on (first bath in 10 years!), ceiling tiles in the bathroom were misaligned and looked ready to fall.

There are some fast food restaurants near by, and the area is quiet for being right off the freeway.

I had my worst night's sleep here - woke up in the middle of the night with a throbbing headache and a runny nose. Might have just been a quick head cold or it might have been that strong "chemical" smell. Don't know.

I would sleep underneath my car before I slept here again. And I'm really not all that demanding when it comes to hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Chesterton hotels

Easton,MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

This place was a dump. Even if it has indoor entrances, which some poeple like, it is not worth it. The entire place reeks of cigarette smoke when we were ordered a no-smoking room. There was none of the essentials that you would get in a normal Econo Lodge. (Shampoo, soap, basic stationary etc...) The towels were stained and the lights hung off the wall like they have been ripped apart. There was even serious damages to the walls, where it looked like someone had been bashing someone else's head against it. We only slept there because we were too tired at 2 am to find somewhere else. But if you like 80's era furnishings, outdated everything and smoky beat up motel rooms you would love this place!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank thisguyistoofly
washingtron state
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

The Econo Lodge In Chesterton, Indiana is in need of a major overhaul. It is worn and tired, towels, sheets and blankets are so thin you can see through them. All thatt is OK but when we couldn't find the tv remote, we later found it made up in the bed.

I asked if they changed the sheets each day and was told "no" - "same people, no sheet changing".

The rate is the same nightly, no multiple night discount so I expect clean sheets and towels daily.

The hotel does allow dogs; our reason for selecting this hotel but the rate did not compensate for the worn rooms, linens and lack of changing sheets daily.

Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

If we had not had a GPS system we would never have found this motel. There is no Econo Lodge sign anywhere. We arrived about 9:30 pm, it was dark, the parking lot was poorly lit, and about 20 guests were standing around in small groups in the parking lot with beverages in hand. At the front door there were people setting on the ground blocking the unloading area and we had to wait until they moved to pull in under the canopy area. We weren't even in the front door when we were met by "If you don't have a reservation, we aint got a room". Once told we did have a reservation the very unprofessional desk clerk literally shoved a sign in form and pen across the counter for us to fill out. We had a non smoking room, but it stunk of cigarette smoke and what else I'm not sure. There were stains on the wall, carpet, and generally looked run down. The guest noise from the parking lot was very loud, interior noise was like a bad party. We never unpacked! We made reservations at another hotel and left. An expensive lesson for us, be sure you miss it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank Caviler
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

I just stayed two nights in this hotel. It is very, very basic, but the price was very cheap, too. My room was clean enough, but run down and old. Good points: About $50 a night. The bed was not unconfortable. The shower was hot both times, and stayed that way for a long while. Room included a small refrigerator and a microwave.
Negatives: Room did not have an iron or a hair dryer. The continental breakfast was not very good: just a little styrofoam cup of coffee, powdered creamer packets, and the donuts were sitting in a box on the counter. (this is where the fridge came in handy!)
Overall, it was definatly not a bad stay. This hotel is about as simple as it gets, but it you are looking to travel cheaply, and don't mind a room that's reasonably clean but a little shabby, this place is fine.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Christa00
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2005

I stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. Our room was clean but showing some age - somewhat shabby blankets and carpet, etc.
I booked a nonsmoking room online but when we checked in there were none left - if you want a nonsmoking room, you might want to call a day ahead of time to make sure they will save one for you.
Some of the other guests were loud the first night but quieted down the second night. I don't know if that was due to the managment handling the problem or not.
Breakfast = apple juice, orange juice, coffee, doughnuts.
The ice machine was broken.
The hallways are interior; however I noticed that the door to the outside was never locked, so the hallways might as well have been outside!
If you are looking for a very basic place to stay this is fine.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank Maggie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
BEST WESTERN Indian Oak
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 16 in Michigan City

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!