“Way More Value Than They Could Charge Us For”
Review of Riley's Railhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesterton
Riley's Railhouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Chesterton B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2012

You really have to see this to believe the reviews you are reading online. The Railhouse has been a labor of love for the Rileys, and the benefits of staying there go way beyond the nightly price. From the earplugs in a jar by the bed to the walking sticks and umbrellas by the door, they have thought of everything. But beyond just the incredible renovation story are the impeccable tastes that have decorated the place and created the breakfast (Mrs. Riley's skill with the design is impressive). A lifetime of buying train books, paintings and sculptures, plus the years spent in the rehab, have created something that can't be duplicated anywhere. We visited about 5 years too late for the heyday of my son's Thomas/trains infatuation, but he still loved the loft in the upper berth. As for me, I am not what the B&B's website would call a "railfan," but I have a healthy appreciation for trains, living within a mile of tracks and daily taking a commuter train in and out of Chicago. This was something entirely new - thrilling to the force and scale of the passing trains from the balcony of the upper berth, and marveling at the volume of commerce shipping goods across the country each day. There is real magic to the location, one of the freight rail hotspots of the country.

The Rileys were wonderful hosts, and Chesterton is a town that is clearly making smart moves with its downtown - I highly recommend the European Fair on summer Saturdays. The Dunes National Lakeshore is an undervalued gem, and Richard had just the right instructions to slip into a pristine beach without the parking fees of the State Park. We had a wonderful visit and will be back again for the escape.

Finally, I slept great and always travel with earplugs, but I'm aware others don't sleep that great, so don't pass on the free earplugs - the trains are loud and frequent!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jay R

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This bed and breakfast is child-friendly and we had a wonderful stay. Our son, who described the room as "train heaven", was asking if we could come back before we even left! We stayed in the upper berth and our son situated himself on the balcony overlooking the tracks for much of the stay. He was thrilled by how many trains went by while we were there. There were disposable earplugs available on the nightstand for guests if they needed them. We loved these touches that made us feel welcome and cared for. The atmosphere was relaxing and we appreciated being able to walk to a tasty Italian restaurant nearby. We enjoyed conversation with the owners. They seemed like the kind of people we were happy to give our money to. Our son is quite a train enthusiast. There were train books "everywhere" and so our son enjoyed reading some books that he hadn't already read through our usual methods of library and bookstore visits. Our son got answers to his train questions in a knowledgeable and respectful manner. This child-friendliness was really appreciated since some places, although they allow children, aren't really child friendly. We loved how the place was decorated and the comfort of the room. While we incorporated a visit to the Dunes and to Taltree Arboretum and Gardens, this bed and breakfast could be a destination in and of itself. We look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: There are currently two rooms (plans for more in the future). If you have a child, you'll need...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank genkigal
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My toddler daughter loves trains, so when I found this place I booked it immediately. I didn't know it was as close to the railroad tracks as it was. My husband was not pleased to say the least. :) That being said, he, I, AND the toddler slept soundly and had awesome nights rest!
The place is so neat with all the trains. Its run buy a man who has a passion for renovating and loves trains and he did an impressive job combining his loves in this renovated old railhouse.

The room was beautiful.

My daughter's favorite part was the Train rocking horse located in the common area, and the train toys. If she had had it her way we would have stay at this B&B all day and night!

We will back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the upper loft. little pricier but worth it with lots more room and a train watching b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank Ceyanna2000
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at the Railhouse for two days and could have stayed longer had our plans allowed it. Our kids just loved it. It has something for everyone. I loved how it was decorated and the open air feeling of it. My husband and son loved the trains, inside and out. My daughter loved the owner's dogs, Jackson and Chloe, who are such sweet dogs.

We stayed in the Upper Berth and it was very comfortable, especially the bed and plenty spacious for two adults and two small kids. The breakfasts that were served were delicious and far more than we could eat. Hubby and I are thinking about booking another stay, although without the kids. The Riley's put a lot of effort into this wonderful place and it just shines in every way.

The town is wonderful too. Lots of places we hope to explore the next time we are there. And of course, the beach is just a couple miles north.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marybelle42
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Glad I chose to look at the positive reviews and ignore the cranky one. I loved my visit to Riley's Railhouse and not only did I enjoy the rail action, the almost museum like railroad decore and comfortable accomodations but the atmosphere was very relaxed and FUN! I plan to book another stay as soon as possible!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rhonda L
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at the Railhouse over a weekend and had a great time. The owners are very inviting and friendly (as are their two dogs). The rooms are very comfortable, and the remodeling and decoration throughout the building is unbelievable. It's a great place to stay, we plan to go again.

Room Tip: The Upper Berth has a great view of the tracks, while the Lower Berth would offer a quieter night...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank EBMN
Reviewed December 15, 2011

What a unique B&B, this is not your average doily decorated B&B. Riley's Railhouse is a beautifully renovated train station which is warm and inviting with Richard and Annmarie as your wonderful hosts. The living area is open and gorgeous with the beautiful casual dining area, great room, kitchen, formal dining, wood burning fireplace and antique train car scale. The bedrooms are comfortable and clean. Truly unique, what a vision the Riley's have shared.

Located in the tiny town of Chesterton, Indiana, Riley's Railhouse is walking distance to several restaurants, bars and boutique shops. During the summer there are many festivals and weekly European Market to enjoy. Chesterton also has a bicycle path and is very close to the Dunes National Lakeshore.

As other guests have commented, the Railhouse is spotlessly clean, you feel so comfortable you do not want to leave, it truly feels like home. We wish the best to Richard and Annmarie and thank them for sharing the treasure of their Railhouse.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingFunForUs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Hampton Inn Portage
Hampton Inn Portage
#2 of 12 in Portage

Been to Riley's Railhouse? Share your experiences!