“A gem you shouldn't miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riley's Railhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesterton
Riley's Railhouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Chesterton B&B and Inns
Greenville, North Carolina
“A gem you shouldn't miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

First, let me say that I haven't yet stayed at the Railhouse. However, I have seen the evolution of the Railhouse from a gleam in Richard's eye into the remodeling, and the result is lovely. The Riley's and my wife and I have been friends for years.You couldn't ask for a better couple to be your hosts. Richard is a rail fan, through and through. His collection of rail artifacts is extensive and top notch. You'll love the model train that runs around the elevated track in the lounge, and the trestle over the fireplace. Enjoy!

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lawrence B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

This by far is NW Indiana's hidden secret. Located in lovely Chesterton, IN, nearby are two casinos, the fabulous Indiana Dunes State Park and Lake Michigan, Antique Malls, trains into Chicago either by Amtrak (Porter, 1 mi. south), NW Indiana commuter electric line to Randolf Street Station available too. The Riley's lovely restored circa 1890s railroad freight house is a gem one has to see for themselves. I'll leave room for other travelers to comment. A wonderful full size deck allows you to watch the two track Norfolk and Southern RR Mainline traffic. Mr. Riley has a nice collection of railroad memorabilia to bring this B&B all together. The rooms are adorned with nicely selected antiques. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: lower room will be the most quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mike611_11
chicago,il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Riley's Railhouse is the best B&B we have ever stayed in-immaculate, tastefully decorated, and in a great location. The owners,Richard and Annmarie welcomed us for a weekend during the summer in Chesterton as we were visiting relatives in Indiana. The B&B is an old train station that they have renovated into a beautiful home. The room we stayed in was the upstairs bedroom. It was HUGE and had a small balcony. We slept soundly and although there are trains passing by occasionally, we did not hear them at night ( BTW - there was a bowl of ear plugs for light sleepers - we got a kick out of that!). The trains are fun to watch sitting outside on the wrap around balcony with a cup of coffee in the morning. The Indiana dunes and National Lakeshore are a short 10 minute drive away and the owners offered some beach chairs and toys for us to use. Chesterton is quaint with a fairly large farmers market for this size town on Saturday . We ate at Lucretia's Italian restaurant - wonderful Italian food! - and saw a play at the local theater. I will definitely recommend Riley's Railhouse and stay there again next year!

Room Tip: Upstairs is for families! The downstairs is a smaller more private room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank spaghetti2
Warren, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a wonderful night's stay at Riley's Railhouse. The Rileys made us feel so welcome and were so friendly. We stayed in the smaller room downstairs, and it was so perfect for 2 -- comfortable bed and wonderful bathroom, everything was spotlessly clean. The breakfast the next morning was top-notch as well. We hated to leave!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wpatravelers
Trevor, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

This place is fantastic!  The Rileys are the nicest people you would ever want to meet.  The inn is simply spectacular.  The main room makes you want to come in and sit down and read, enjoy a glass of wine or a cup of tea and some company.  For my son and I who love trains, it is heaven.  My wife, son and I stayed in the upper berth room which was gorgeous.  The breakfast was top notch, beautifully prepared and simply delicious.  My only complaint is I wasn't smart enough to book for two nights!  We will absolutely be back!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Doug M
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is a restored freight house, fabulously restored, in the very nice town of Chesterton. It is just off the downtown, and immediately next to a VERY active pair of freight/Amtrak tracks. If you are a light sleeper, be warned - the trains come by sometimes every 10 minutes. That said, I had the larger of the two rooms, and it was beautifully done, and large. The former main room of the station is beautifully done with tables, train decor of all type, and a gourment presentation kitchen, a long with trains and beautiful fixtures. Breakfast was top notch, and I appreciated how Richard, the owner, opened up some wine when I arrived for a glass with which to partake. A number of dining choices are within walking distance or a short drive. I particularly liked Wagners, a bbq/steak place in nearby Porter, maybe a 10 minute drive. Get the ribs and steak combo...very good, and reasonable. Enjoy...this is a great property in a great area, and convenient especially to those traveling on I-94.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank clvier1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter
BEST WESTERN PLUS Portage Hotel & Suites

Been to Riley's Railhouse? Share your experiences!