“Great Hotel in Chesterton”

Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and has a great experience. I was celebrating my wife's birthday and I let the staff know when I made my reservation. I was very appreciative of the room upgrade and the attention that I received. When I return to this area I will definitely stay here again.

BTW- the omelets in the morning are pretty good!

Room Tip: If you are celebrating an event make sure to let the staff know.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trueohioplaya

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have family in the Chesterton, Indiana area, and I visit at least once a year, usually around Christmas. The Hilton Garden Inn is great for this. The location is convenient, it's right off the highway, and it is the perfect combination of good facilities, and good service. My grandchildren love the pool area, and we usually take advantage of the breakfast buffet that is a great value. I definitely recommend this place for travel involving families.

Room Tip: There are three floors, and I recommend something on the second floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

I want to thank you for your glowing review. It is nice to know that you and your family had a wonderful time at our hotel. Our staff works hard each and every day to provide our guests with a "home away from home" feeling. We will be looking forward to you staying with us again next year.

Eileen Howat
Asst GM

Reviewed December 26, 2011

I was very happy with my experience here. Visiting a relative in a nearby nursing home, I had a comfortable accessible room where we could visit and spend the day together. For accessibility, terrific, except, the room I had there is not a roll-in shower, so do inquire ahead if that is needed. Otherwise, all features wheelchair accessible, including desk, closet, great bathroom, lots of room. Very, very clean, very friendly helpful staff - especially considering they were all working on the Christmas holidays (and I appreciated the humanity and kindness of management towards staff in limiting room cleaning hours so some staff could get off early for the holidays). I can tell this hotel is well-run from the service ethic, to the cleanliness, to the excellent fresh food, to the way people always meet your requests, to the fully stocked supplies, and letting you know if there were going to be any changes in their regular hours. Really, really appreciate not being nickle and dimed to death on each amenity. I needed both wired and wireless Internet and both are available for free. There is free printing too which allowed me easy access to some forms I needed to print out. I do a moderate amount of traveling to conferences, mostly to big cities, and am always pleased when a small town hotel exceeds the standards of bigger, fancier hotels. Very comfortable, fully adjustable office chair plus nice comfy armchair with hassock. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Very, very fresh food - the fresh pineapple was great - food cooked to order perfectly each time - crispy bacon, nice assortment of juices. Plenty of parking. Very nice lobby with couches, fireplace, assortment of newspapers, where they have tea, cocoa etc. available at all hours, plus a small 24 hour market of snacks, toiletries, etc. Oh, and the fitness room and pool are very nice. Good treadmills, wish I had been prepared to sit in the sauna. Bed very comfortable, nice assortment of pillows, good temperature control, windows that can be opened (very important to some of us). Very clean - rug clean, smells clean (I had my face down close in some yoga poses) but no evil scents. A totally positive experience where one feels at home, nice areas where one can visit with guests and family, and have as close to an at-home comfort level as I can imagine.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I love my room. Breakfast was great. Hotel was clean. I would highly recommend it. Only downside for me was check in. The two women working seemed completely disinterested and inattentive to anything but handing me a key. I got a nice room upgrade. Not mentioned. Service more like grunts than care. BUT, in the morning, great staff in hallways cleaning, said hello, nice folks at counter, great breakfast staff (very helpful and good food).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

I want to apologize for the front desk staff the night you checked in. Let me assure you they have been spoken to and that our goal is to make you feel that this is your home away from home. I was happy to hear that the rest of your stay with us went well. Please do not judge us by your initial encounter. We look forward to having you stay with us again and I do appreciate your comments. Eileen Howat Asst MGR

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night on our way home to WI from OH. The staff was SUPER friendly and very attentive. I felt they were truly dedicated to making our stay as comfortable as possible.
After reading a bad review on tripadvisor about bed bugs we were assured by the manager that there has never been a case of bed bugs in their hotel.
We had a relaxing stay. We used the pool and hot tub, both very nice. The breakfast was good although the price was not included in room rate. It was nice having a hot breakfast after a few continenteal breakfasts other hotels we were at in Ohio offered.
I recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again if our travels take us that way.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

I would like to thank you for your positive review of the hotel and staff. Our goal is to make this your home away from home. We hope you visit again soon.

Eileen Howat Asst GM

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Clean, quiet area near major routes. The hotel is clean, friendly staff and offers a well priced breakfast. Better yet, visit the Bob Evans across the street.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay at our hotel. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here as part of a family occasion, so we had more than one room. The room we were first given was not the right type, so we had to ask to switch, and the front desk personnel was very helpful and accommodating about moving us. They even upgraded us without charging us extra to make us more comfortable. We also ate the breakfast buffet (not a free continental breakfast, but a whole buffet with many more choices for one price) and it was also excellent and well-maintained.

Room Tip: Rooms with two beds are larger than one-bed rooms. Near the pool smells a bit chlorine-y but is othe...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
eileenhowat, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and I hope you come back to visit very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
7 mi away
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton
7 mi away
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton? Share your experiences!