“Excellent Italian restaurant”
Review of Popolano's - CLOSED

Popolano's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In Italian, the word popolano means popular or of the people, which describes our award-winning, family owned restaurant to a T. On any given night, you'll see everyone from beach-going vacationers to businessmen to sweethearts to the local Little League team. A rehabbed circa- 1870's mansion in the heart of downtown Chesterton, Popolanos offers something for everyone at reasonable prices. Complete with large, sheltering trees, an outdoor dining patio, the restaurant reflects the intimate charm of an Italian Bistro. The eclectic menu features excellent made-to-order pizzas, creative pastas and a wide selection from sandwiches to steak.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The food is awesome, definetely I will comeback in my next visit. The restaurant has a unique outside design and has a small bar in the front will all kind of drinks.

1  Thank SuperGabriel

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The beer is good and the building and setting are lovely. I'd give those 4 stars However, the food is not worth the money, and I would give only 2 stars for that, so my score is a sort of average.

There's not much on the food menu that you couldn't find elsewhere cheaper and it's not particularly well cooked or presented.

Our American son-in-law wasn't impressed with the service, but Americans expect a higher standard than Brits. We didn't think it was that bad, but somehow the place did make you feel that they weren't trying very hard.

Of the items which we chose on the menu (food and drink), 3 were "not available". I ordered ravioli and my husband ordered cannelloni, but we were both given ravioli. We didn't bother to change it but perhaps we should have. It was tepid and OK, but nothing special.

I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Popolano's was a really nice find. The restaurant used to be a private home, so there are different rooms where you can sit, all rather quaintly decorated. Service, from seating to waitstaff, was prompt, courteous and attentive. I wasn't expecting the food to be as good as it was--I was expecting at least pizza joint type food but it was better. I had good old spaghetti with meat sauce, which was very adequate. My fiance had the "Italian Bus Tour," where you can select 3 different dishes. All three were very good. The portions were a nice size. The restaurant is located in a cute old section of town, so it would be a nice place to end up after walking the streets and shopping.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have been to Chesterton, IN four times in the past three years and each time we make Popolano's our destination for dinner. (Although we have eaten there for lunch as well ) The restaurant is sort of quaint with shaded outdoor seating, a small unique small bar in the front and plenty of seating at tables and booths inside. The menu offers a wide variety to fit just about anyone's taste; the service is wonderful and professional; and the food is terrific! Note: If you go on a Wednesday, you can purchase a whole bottle of wine for half price! We especially like the filet Mignon and the stuffed mushrooms. Dress is casual to dressy. I'm not sure how late they are open but they do have carry out. They are on Calumet Avenue and worth a visit!

1  Thank kentucky101
Reviewed August 26, 2012

While staying in nearby Indiana Dunes State park, our party of four discovered that alcohol of any kind was forbidden in every way within park boundaries. Saturday night, we made a retreat into town for a relaxing dinner. We decided on Popolano's after debating several options in old downtown Chesterton. We arrived (Saturday evening around 7:30 pm)and had no trouble parking at all. We parked on the street directly across from the restaurant. But even if that spot was not available, there was ample parking behind the restaurant. We went to the hostess, there was a short wait (35 minutes) but we were welcome to wait in the outdoor garden or the indoor bar. We decided to stroll a block down the street to a nearby city park. A pleasant stroll and a lovely square block city garden was hosting a car show. We wandered through the show and saw many other interesting restaurants and shops. We got back to the restaurant and in no time at all were seated on the outdoor patio which was decorated with pots pots of beautiful flowers and ambient lighting. Our server was excellent and personable. We had some appetizers(italian fusion and baked ravioli), pizzas (delicious thin crust) and a few drinks as well. The food was fantastic... excellent quality and fresh ingredients. Delicious. The drink menu was fine. A nice touch was the frosted glass brought with each beer. The Sangria was very sweet and citrusy served with a cherry and a lime wedge. The ladies should have ordered a pitcher! It was a fantastic experience in all respects. If there's any complaint I could make it would be that the drinks were a little pricy, but this is a "treat yourself" kind of place.

1  Thank LaineDru