“Make a day of it”

Centerville Antique Mall
More attraction details
Owner description: With about 500 stalls, this antiques mall is a treasure trove.
Indiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Make a day of it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Even if you aren't the 'have to look at every thing in every booth' type of antiquer, you will need plenty of time to adequately just browse. But, that isn't always a good thing.
The problem, if you are an antiquer, is that there is too much 'flea market' offerings among the other, often very good, fare. Quantity does not always equal quality.
I've found a few great things here...and at good prices. I'm in that area fairly often and will stop once in a while. I would not, likely, make a special trip to shop here though. There are just too many other options in the area or on my trip to and from Richmond.
If you are in the area, stop and take your chances on finding that perfect item...and even if you don't it can be a pretty enjoyable browsing experience as long as you know what to expect.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank tuftedtraveler

New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Seems to be going downhill....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I have been to this Webb's 4 times. We stopped there on Saturday, after 2 years had passed. First of all, I looked up the website to see what time the store opened. It said "9-5". We drove over 100 miles to get there by 9...and the sign on the door said it opened at 10! This was really annoying. So, we had to kill an hour ...nothing else was open, either, and we just drove around wasting gas. Finally, it was open. The cases in the front were fairly well stocked, but there were alot of sections that were empty or sparsely stocked. There were some interesting items...Barbies, dolls, and alot of smalls. We moved on to the open booths, and found alot of garage sale type items. Not that this is all bad, because we are interested in alot of different things. However, I found it to be kind of depressing and dismal in the back half of the store. There is a "restaurant" in the center, which is kind of odd. It's never been open when we were there. As someone stated in an earlier post, there doesn't look to be much turnover. I, too, recognized items that were there 2 years ago. Alot of the booths are poorly maintained, and there were many "this booth available" signs tacked up. I feel bad for the place...it looks like it's on the decline. Not sure I'd go there again. We also visited the one in Lake City, FL, last fall. Same story...different state.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank welltraveled2008
Brecksville, OH
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wrongly named as an antique mall”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is definitely an indoor flea market. I have been antiquing for over 30 years and have seen many good antique malls, this is not one of those. However, if you are looking for items that you can also find at garage sales, this should be your destination.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank SallyAnderson
Cincinnati, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Lots to see”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Very, very large antique store. Of course, you may not consider everything you see to be "antique," but this is typically the norm for a large scale antique mall such as this. My wife and I have only been visiting this type of stores for a couple of years, but compared with some other antique malls we've shopped in (Wapak, Oh; Van wert, OH; Waynesville, OH; Portland, IN), this antique mall, and other antique shops in the Centerville/Cambridge City area, have much more reasonable prices. Take a piece of paper and pen along to jot down booth numbers with items you like, because trying to track down items later on can be quite a chore, as this store is very expansive. Another nice thing is that you are not pestered by employees following you around and spying on you because they're worried about theft. We had coffee and strawberry pie in the restaurant, which was delicious.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank OHgardener
Indianapolis IN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Meh... I've encountered much better.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I was torn between one and two stars but the place is fairly clean and well-lit so two stars seemed fair based on that. However, with that said, this is not a destination if you're shopping for antiques.

Despite its huge size Webb's lacks substance. I would think a better name for this mall would be 'flea market and collectibles' rather than antiques because the VAST majority of the items offered here are not antiques.

If you're into soda bottles, glassware, dinnerware... you'll hit the motherlode. Chances are you'll find some dishes and glasses and a few bottles. If you're looking for antique books, antique furniture, ANTIQUE collectibles you're better off visiting some of the other antique stores that pepper Rt 40.

My last visit to Webb's was in 2010 and I could swear that some of the stuff I saw then was still sitting on the shelves when we visited this past Saturday. That tells me there isn't a whole lot of turnover.

And the slow check out process is abysmal, though if you're not selling a whole lot then I guess the proprietors find it adequate. The bathrooms could do with a bit more attention and I'm not sure I'd eat at the restaurant... if it's even still open.

A better bet for antiquing would be Vinton House and Building 125 in Cambridge City which is a few miles west on Rt 40 (a very nice shot of the interior of Building 125 can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynet/4158652324/).

Wheeler's in Centerville isn't too bad though it's very close quarters and stuff is stacked on more stuff so browsing is a bit tricky. I also visited The Glass Cupboard in Knightstown and found several 'treasures', there, so it would be a place I'd recommend. I'd consider The Glass Cupboard, which also calls itself an antique mall, several steps up from Webb's.

Happy antiquing!